For over five decades, Ashok Leyland has been the technology leader in India's commercial vehicle industry, moulding the country's commercial vehicle profile by introducing technologies and product ideas that have gone on to become industry norms. From 18 seater to 82 seater double-decker buses, from 7.5 tonne to 49 tonne in haulage vehicles, from numerous special application vehicles to diesel engines for industrial, marine and genset applications, Ashok Leyland offers a wide range of products.
Eight out of ten metro state transport buses in India are from Ashok Leyland. With over 70 million passengers a day, Ashok Leyland buses carry more people than the entire Indian rail network!
The company has inked 50:50 Joint Ventures (JV) with Nissan Motor Company (Japan) for Light Commercial Vehicles and John Deere (USA) for construction equipment. Its JV with Continental AG (Germany) is for developing automotive Infotronics while the one with the Alteams Group is for producing high press die casting extruded aluminum components for both the automotive and telecommunication sectors.
- Engineering Your Tomorrows
- The five AL values are:
- International Speedy
- Chairman: Dheeraj G. Hinduja
- Managing Director: Vinod K. Dasari
No. of employees
- 15,812 (year 2011)
- 2012: the first-ever association with a celebrity endorser in over six decades, Ashok Leyland announced M.S Dhoni as their brand ambassador.
- 2010: Ashok Leyland –RAKIA (Al Khaimah Investment Authority) joint venture’s vehicle factory inaugurated in UAE.
- 2008: Leyland signs an agreement for a joint venture with John Deere, for manufacturing and marketing of construction equipment.
- 2008: Ashok Leyland and Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. announced the legal formation of the three JV companies for the Light Commercial Vehicle (LCV) business in India.
- 2006: Ashok Leyland announces its plans to set up a vehicle manufacturing unit in Uttaranchal with an investment of over Rs 1000 crores.
- 2006: Ashok Leyland becomes the first Indian auto company to receive the coveted ISO/TS 16949 Corporate Certification
- 2002: Launched hybrid electric vehicle
- 2001: Received ISO 14001 certification for all manufacturing units
- 1997: India's first CNG powered bus joined the BEST fleet
- 1993: Received ISO 9002
- 1992: Won self-certification status for defence supplies
- 1982: Introduced vestibule bus
- 1980: Introduced the international concept of integral bus with air suspension
- 1979: Introduced multi-axle trucks
- 1968: Offered power steering in commercial vehicles
- 1967: Launched double-decker bus
- 1966: Introduced full air brakes
- Revenue :$ 2.43 billion USD (FY 2012)
- Buses, Trucks, Light Vehicles, Defence Vehicles, Power Solutions,
- Ennore foundries Limited
- Automotive Coaches and Components Limited
- Gulf-Ashley Motors Limited
- Ashley Holdings Limited
- Ashley Investments Limited
- Ashok Leyland Project Services Limited
- Ashok Leyland Defence Systems
- “Powering ambition…fuelling aspirations”-
- At Ashok Leyland, they envision engineering your tomorrows. They pioneer trends in the Indian transportation industry, as has been their lineage. When you join them you will be joining a team of extremely talented and dedicated individuals committed to furthering this vision. If you see yourself fit in with this vision and work culture that nurtures your strengths, maybe you are ready for advancement in your career.
- We believe that our impressive strides in the marketplace stem in equal parts from our proactive approach and our customers' unstinting support, earned the only way we know: by giving our customers the most appropriate transport solutions for each of their applications, and by backing them up with consultancy, finance, driver training and a responsive after-market network. We are conscious of the fact that vehicles are more than just a means of transporting people and goods; we understand that they have a deep and far-reaching impact on society, the national economy and the environment
- Eight out of ten metro state transport buses in India are from Ashok Leyland. At 70 million passengers a day, Ashok Leyland buses carry more people than the entire Indian rail network.
- Ashok Leyland has a near 98.5% market share in the Marine Diesel Engines Markets in India.
- In 2002, all the vehicle-manufacturing units of Ashok Leyland were ISO 14001 certified with Environmental Management System.
- The company has seven manufacturing locations in India:
- Ennore, Chennai
- Hosur, Tamilnadu (3 plants)
- Alwar, Rajasthan
- Bhandara, Maharastra
- Pantnagar, Uttarakhand
- 19, Rajaji Salai Chennai 600 001 India Tel : 0091 44-25342141 Fax : 0091 44-25342493