It is a national level screening test conducted every year to offer admission into B.E, B.Tech, B.Plan and B.Arch programmes. Entrance test of JEE Mains is held twice in a year in January and April.
Candidates who aspire to pursue UG engineering programmes in various renowned institutions like IIT’s, CFTI’s, NIT’s, have to qualify the test by securing minimum qualifying cut-off marks.
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI) has established National Testing Agency (NTA) as an independent autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization for conducting efficient, transparent and international standards tests in order to assess the competency of candidates for admissions to premier higher education institutions. The Department of Higher Education, MHRD, GOI has entrusted the responsibility of conducting Joint Entrance Examination – JEE (Main) to the NTA from 2019 onwards.
Admission criteria to Undergraduate Engineering Programs at NITs, IIITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI), Institutions funded by participating State Governments, and other Institutions shall include the performance in the class 12/ equivalent qualifying Examination and in JEE (Main). The Paper-1 (B. E./ B. Tech.) of JEE (Main) will also be an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), for candidates aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programs offered by the IITs.
NTA introduced new changes in JEE Mains exam pattern.
- JEE Main 2020 New Changes Introduced
- From the year 2020, the exam will be conducted separately for BE/B.Tech, B.Arch & Planning courses. Candidates can appear for all the courses or separately.
- Application Fee has been increased as compared to last year. It can be paid throughonline mode.
- Changes in Exam pattern: New changes have been introduced in the exam pattern of JEE Main 2020. The number of questions in the exam paper has been decreased to 25 questions (per subject) on comparison to last year (30 questions). Also, besides the MCQs in the paper there will be questions whose answers are to be filled as numerical values.
- From this year, the paper pattern of B.Plan has been separately introduced in JEE Main.
- From 2019 onwards, National Testing Agency (NTA) is given the responsibility to conduct the entrance exams of JEE Main.
- NTA JEE Main 2020 will be conducted twice every year in the months of January & Aprilin online CBT mode.
- The age limit to apply for JEE Mains has been removed. Now candidates fulfilling the eligibility criterion can apply for the exam irrespective of their age.
- For JEE Main Paper 2 (B.Arch/B.Plan), it is mandatory for the candidates to have Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry subjects.
- Aadhar card is not mandatory to apply for JEE Mains 2020 entrance exams.
- Candidates appearing among the top 2,45,000 qualified students will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
- NTA has set up more than 3400 Practice centers in the country for the preparation of the students.
- Diabetic students can take water bottle, fruits and sugar tablets inside the exam center.
NTA will organize the examination from 6th to 11th January 2020 for January session. National Testing Agency (NTA) organizes it twice in a year – January & April sessions.
April session – Application process is going to start from 7th February 2020. NTA will organize the examination from 3rd to 9th April 2020.