What is GATE?
GATE is an online (computer based), national level examination conducted by IIT Delhi every year. Students aspiring to join IITs/IISCs or other institutions for the M.Tech or Ph.D programs must register and pass this exam. GATE 2020 will be conducted on 1st, 2nd, 8th and 9th February, 2020.
How to apply: Online address
To apply, visit gate.iitd.ac.in. Registration is now open.
Dates for GATE 2020 Application
The last date to submit the filled in application form is 24th September, 2019. However, candidates can also submit their filled in forms till 1st October, 2019 by paying a late fee of ₹ 500. All payments are done online.
Given below are other important dates and milestones for the GATE 2020 examination:
||GATE 2020 Registration via GOAPS website opens||Tuesday||31st August, 2019|
||Last date for submitting the application form without late fee||Tuesday||24th September, 2019|
||Last date to submit application form with late fee||Tuesday||1st October, 2019|
||Last date for requesting for change in the examination center /city
*please note that additional fee will be charged for the change
|Friday||15th November, 2019|
||Admit card available online for download
*please note that the admit card will be available only on GOAPS website. No printed admit card will be posted to the candidates
|Friday||3rd January, 2020|
||GATE exam dates||Saturday||1st February, 2020|
|Sunday||2nd February, 2020|
|Saturday||8th February, 2020|
|Sunday||9th February, 2020|
||Results announcement in GOAPS||Monday||16th March, 2020|
GATE Application Process
Application for GATE 2020 happens via the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). All applications must be submitted online by paying necessary application fee.
All information pertaining to GATE 2020 is available in the GOAPS website as well.
Note: The GATE application form is not available for sale anywhere.
GATE Application Fee
The application fee must be made online either by net banking or by credit or debit card. Payment once made will not be refunded. *Please note that additional online transaction fees or bank charges may be applicable.
Application Fees for GATE 2020
|#||For centers within India||Fees on or before 24th September, 2019
|With late fees (during extended period)
|1.||For female candidates||750||1250|
|2.||SC/ST/Persons with Disability (PwD)||750||1250|
|3.||All other candidates||1500||2000|
|#||For centers outside India||Fees on or before 24th September, 2019
|With late fees (during extended period)
|1.||Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Kathmandu||50||70|
GATE Application – Flowchart
GATE 2020 application – Do’s and Don’ts
- Do be very careful will entering your details in the GATE application form. Your name must be exactly the same as in your educational certificates. The GATE 2020 score card will be issued in the exact name that was mentioned by you in the application form.
- Do keep all relevant details and documents required handy before you start filling in the application form.
- Don’t add any prefix or title such as Mr./Ms./Doctor before your name.
Data required to fill the GATE 2020 Application form
You need to keep several documents and your other details handy. Given below is a list of what you require.
- Personal information
- Your name
- Email ID
- Personal Telephone number
- Parents name and mobile number etc.
- Communication Address with PIN
- College Address with PIN
- Eligibility educational certificates (Class 10, 12 degree certificates)
- GATE subjects you want to apply for
- GATE examination center/city you want to appear for the examination
- High quality scanned image of your photograph
- High quality scanned image of your signature
- Valid photo ID proof (your PAN card, Aadhar card, College or Employee ID, Passport or Voter ID card). Note: You should carry the same ID, in original, to the examination hall.
- Scanned copy of your category (SC/ST) certificate, PwD certificate, Dyslexic certificate if applicable
- Payment details – Credit or Debit card or Net banking details for payment of examination fees
Candidates need to upload scanned images in the format specified so that it can appear correctly on the admit card. Your photograph must match with your appearance on the exam date. The following are the requirements.
Passport size dimensions should be 3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height
- Maximum size for JPEG can be 480×640 in pixels (0.3 Mega pixel) (Request photo studio to reduce it to this resolution if it is higher).
- Minimum size for JPEG should be 240×320 pixels
- Background should be in white or a light color
Photograph must be in color
Should be taken after 01 August, 2019 in a professional studio
- Face should occupy at least 35% of the area with full face view. Face the camera, look directly into the camera while taking the picture
- Do not cover the main features of your face by hair of the head, any cloth or any shadow.
- Forehead, eyes, nose and chin should be clearly visible.
- Don’t wear any cap or hat while clicking your photograph. If you normally wear spectacles, a photograph with glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. If a glare cannot be avoided, remove your spectacles.
- Don’t wear spectacles with dark or tinted glasses
Don’t upload any photograph taken using your cell phone
Don’t upload any self-composed portrait as they may result in rejection of the application
- Draw a rectangular box of size 2 cm × 7 cm (Height × Width) on an A4 white paper
- Sign with a black or dark blue pen within this box
- The size of your signature should be at least 70~80% of the box size
- Scan your signature (digital image of the rectangular box with your signature inside) using a professional scanner.
- Only JPEG image format will be accepted
- Image size:
- The maximum image size for the signature should be160×560 in pixels.
- The minimum image size for the signature should be 80×280 in pixels.
- Ask someone else to sign on your behalf. Your signature, at the time of examination, should match with the signature on the Admit Card, else the applicant will be disqualified.
- Don’t sign in any other color, other than black or blue
Steps to fill the application form
Now let’s look at what all you will need to register and also how to fill in your registration form. The entire process of applying can be broken into 3 parts for ease of understanding.
- Register Online
- Fill in the Application Form
- Uploading of required documents (PDF), photo and signature
- Go to http://gate.iitd.ac.in/
- Click on ‘Click here to apply’ text found right on top of the page
- Enter the following details:
- Name – First, Middle and last
- Email address
- Country of residence
- Mobile number
- Solve the verification arithmetic equation asked
- Click Submit
- After successful registration, you will receive a GOAPS Enrollment ID via SMS and email ID specified by you
- Make sure to note down the enrollment ID number. The enrollment ID number is to be provided for login while downloading the hall ticket/admit card and score card.
- Don’t ask your friends or relatives to fill in the form on your behalf. As much as possible, fill in the application yourself. If someone else does help you fill in your form, you must ensure that the information submitted is accurate. Your application can be rejected if the data in incorrect.
- Don’t post your application by courier, speed post or by physical mail.
Fill in the Application Form
- Log in using the enrollment ID /Email ID / Registration ID
- Enter password and click Submit
- Then proceed with clicking the “Start GATE 2020 Application Form”
- Candidates are redirected to the Applications page
- Select the subject papers you wish to appear for in the GATE Exam
- Choose the Exam Centers – candidates are allowed to choose maximum 3 exam centers to appear for the exam
- Personal details: Enter in your personal details like name, date of birth, nationality, gender, ID proof etc.
- Share your Photo ID details
- Qualifying degree details: Fill in your qualification details specified in your degree examination
- Enter your complete address details that includes PIN Code for future or further correspondence
- Upload all relevant scanned documents as per specifications
- Should you wish to check all the information provided then click on Save and View application. Carefully review and verify that all the content that you have entered is correct and match your records
- If you are happy with the information provided then you can click Submit and proceed to the payment section
- The candidate is now redirected to the payment gateway. Use either your Debit/Credit card, Net Banking payment options to make the payment
- Once the fee is paid successfully a ‘Fee payment number’ is generated. Make sure to store this number safely as required to produce the same before the final submission of the application form.
- After successful payment you are redirected to the application form page. You should print the form and keep it carefully for future reference.
A few important points to note
- Candidates are given an option to check and review their application form for any corrections before proceeding to payment and so do make use of this provision for proper completion of the application form
- Once the application form has been submitted by clicking the ‘confirm’ and ‘final submit’ button, it would not be possible to make changes to the form
- You don’t have to send the form by physical mail