What is a GATE exam?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a national level examination conducted to assess the overall knowledge of the applicants in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and also post-graduate level in Science.
GATE qualification is a must for getting admission into post graduate programs (Masters and Doctoral programs) with MHRD and for access to Government scholarships /financial assistantships in the fields of Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture and Science. The GATE qualification are also being used by Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) for their recruitments. Various prestigious institutes in India who do not provide MHRD scholarship, consider the GATE score for their admissions. The GATE score can also be used to get admission in some reputed foreign universities with scholarship.
GATE is an examination conducted together by the following two main institutes, on behalf of the National Coordination Board (NCB) – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), ( Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee)
The exam is conducted on a rotational basis every year. The GATE exam score is valid for 3 years after the announcement of the results.
From the past few years, international students from the countries of Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates and Ethiopia have been allowed to appear for the GATE exam.
GATE 2020 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi. The Gate exam is conducted on a rotational basis every year. The GATE exam for 2019 was conducted by IIT, Madras.
All the information pertaining to GATE 2020 exam is available on the following website: http:// iitd.ac.in.
The examination will be conducted in 25 subjects (also called papers). The examination in these 25 papers is conducted as an online computer based test.
The format for the online test is such that, students will be given a set of questions where they have to key in numerical answers using the virtual keyboard. The remaining questions will be of the multiple choice question (MCQ) format. The candidates will be provided on with an online virtual calculator.
Each candidate can attempt only ANY ONE paper of the GATE examination.
New changes adapted in GATE 2020
The two main changes implemented in GATE 2020 are as follows:
- Eligibility criteria revisions: Candidates whose registrations were done after May 31, 2013 for certification equivalent to B.E./B.Tech/B.Arch courses, from any of the professional institutions such as IE, ICE, IETE, AeSI, IIChemE, IIM, IIE, etc. are now eligible to apply for GATE 2020 provided they meet all other eligibility criteria.
Please note: The final decision about the eligibility of these candidates will be decided by the course.
- New subject: A new subject/ paper called Bio-medical engineering (BM) has been introduced in the syllabus this year.
The important dates of GATE 2020
- The registration for GATE 2020 started on 1st September 2019.
- The last date to submit the application form and pay the fees was on 28th September 2019. This date was further extended to 5th October 2019.
- The facility for application correction has been open from 15th October 2019.
- The facility to make corrections in category/ PwD/ Status/ Gender/ Dyslexia and other similar learning disabilities will open from the last week of October to the first week of November.
- The last date to make any changes in the exam center is on 15th November 2019. An additional fee may be required to be paid.
- The mock test papers for GATE 2020 are will be available in November 2019.
- The Admit card should be downloaded on 3rd January 2020.
- The GATE exam 2020 will be conducted on the 1st, 2nd, 8th and 9th February 2020.
- The answer key will be released February 2020.
- The results will be declared on 16th March 2020.
- The Score card will be released from 20th March to 31st May 2020.
- And finally the counselling process starts from the 1st week of April 2020.
GATE 2020 Application form correction:
IIT Delhi has opened the window for the application form correction. The GATE application correction is a one-time opportunity provided by the authorities to make corrections in the details provided in the form.
- The corrections/ changes can be made only in a few fields such as Candidates name, date of birth, parent’s name , educational qualification, gender, category, PwD/ Dyslexia and exam city.
- Documentary proofs need to be provided to validate the changes made in the GATE 2020 application form.
- Candidates may be required to pay an additional fee based on the type of corrections made.
- Any changes in the GATE application form can be done only by logging into their official website – gate.iitd.ac.in.
Once the GATE application form is submitted, it is analyzed based on the details mentioned in the GATE information brochure. If any mistake is detected, the candidates are informed of the same through their registered email IDs. Only those who are notified of their mistakes can apply for the form correction.
An additional fee of ₹750 has to be paid for making the changes mentioned above. Please note that the fee paid earlier will not be refunded.
Only certain mistakes can be rectified in the GATE application form. For those mistakes that cannot be rectified, the candidate will have to apply again with a new Email ID and phone number. As candidates can make only a limited number of corrections in the application form, they need to fill the application form with utmost care.
Once the GATE application form is submitted, candidates can check the status of their form at the official website, GOAPS.