GATE – Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering
GATE as the name defines, is the Gateway for many candidates to their desired destination of success, goals and aspirations of their career.
|GATE 2019 conducting Institute||IITM|
|GATE Official Website||gate.iitm.ac.in|
|Administered By||Jointly By IISc Bangalore and Seven IIT’s|
|Exam Level||All India Level|
|Exam Type||Post Graduate|
|Frequency of Examination||Yearly Once|
|Application and Exam Mode||Online|
|Exam Duration||3 Hours (180 Minutes)|
|No. Of Papers||24|
|No. Of Questions||65|
|Type of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) + Numeric Answer Type (NAT)|
|Sections in Paper||Two viz. General Aptitude and Subject specific|
|Validity of Score||3 Years|
|Number of Test Takers||9 Lakhs|
|Accepted By||IIT’s, NIT’s, IIIT’s, GFIT’s and SFTI’s
900+ colleges in India accept GATE score
|Purpose of the Examination||Qualifying Exam for M.Tech/M.E/Ph.D. Admissions,
PSU Recruitments, Teaching and For Studying Abroad
Note: Candidates will be able to select only one GATE paper for the examination.
GATE 2019 Important Dates
The official notification for GATE 2019 will be available on the website gate.iitm.ac.in.
GATE 2019 – The dates related to the events are mentioned in the following table:
|Availability of GATE Application Form||September 1 – October 1, 2018|
|GATE 2019 Admit Cards||Available from January 4, 2019|
|GATE 2019 Exam Dates||February 2, 3, 9 and 10, 2019|
|GATE Answer Key 2019 (official)||March 14, 2019|
|GATE 2019 Results Declared on||March 16, 2019|
|Downloading of GATE 2019 scorecards||Begins from March 20 – May 31, 2019|
|Release of GATE Counseling Schedule||March 26, 2019 onwards|
Importance of Preparation
Around 9 lakh plus candidates apply for GATE and statistics show that every year on an average, only 13% students qualify which shows how tough the exam is to crack. GATE 2019 syllabus comprises the syllabus of the undergraduate courses (which is quite extensive). Therefore, in order to crack the GATE 2019 exam, you must be well prepared on all fronts. This means that you need to strategize and plan very well to ensure success. Make sure to incorporate all aspects of GATE subjects in to your plan and also work out on the necessary preparation strategy required to crack this exam.
GATE Preparation in 100 Days
GATE aspirant must strictly adhere to their preparation timetable for GATE 2019 in order to qualify and succeed in the entrance exam. Candidates seriously preparing for GATE require atleast 3 months (100 Days) duration to prepare and complete GATE syllabus. Candidates should have the skill of appropriate time management so as to complete the syllabus. You call also revise for the exam in parallel to your studies. Before kick starting your preparation, here is a check list that you should go through before appearing for GATE 2019 exam
- Know the eligibility criteria and check if you fulfill it
- Know your syllabus and exam pattern thoroughly
- Understand the weightage of topics
- Make your study plan
- Know about the best books & resources to use for GATE Preparation
- Know about the other resources to refer besides books: Blogs, Facebook, NPTEL
- Focus on engineering mathematics and general aptitude
- Strengthen your concepts and calculations
- Revise and evaluate yourself at every step
- Work for efficient time management
The available days can be divided in different phases of preparation
Phase 1(100 days before GATE)
- Begin with complete study of Engineering syllabus, exam pattern along with important subjects and their weightage of marks based on previous year analysis.
- Divide the subjects on basis of weightage and take on the high weightage subject first.
- Mentally be ready to study for a minimum of 4 hours a day with complete focus and attention
- Focus more on grasping the concepts rather than just completing the syllabus.
- As you study, jot down key points, formulae, grammar tips etc. in a notebook so that you can revise them few days before the exam.
Phase 2 (70 days before GATE)
- Candidates should start solving numerical problems of the subjects already prepared from this time onwards. Focus on the previous year papers, especially numerical which are highly preferred in GATE exam.
- Apart from preparing and solving questions, try to revise the subjects that you have already completed. The key points that you noted down will come very handy here. Review them regularly. This will build up a habit of revision which will be very useful during last moments of exam
- Depending on your endurance, try to increase your study time by 1-2 hours which will give your preparation an extra edge.
Phase 3 (40 days before GATE)
- The most crucial time period for GATE aspirant. By this time, preparation of maximum subjects (in order of high weightage of marks) must be completed i.e. the main concepts.
- Spend the maximum amount of time for solving questions. Take up various mock tests and test series subscribed. Analyze and revise according to how you have scored in the mock tests.
- Preferably enroll in at least two test series to practice the various and probable questions for GATE exam.
- While solving Test series, first solve the chapter wise test, then the section wise test and then move to full length Mock Test.
- Refer back to the specific theory and notes whenever you are unable to solve the questions. This will make you revise the concepts easily.
On successful completion of 3 phases of preparation, approx. 10-15 days would be remaining depending upon your examination slot for GATE, try to revise the syllabus utilizing your study notes. Also continue to attempt various national mock tests which give you complete performance analysis and approximate rank in the exam.
Given below are some tips and suggestions given by toppers and experts. These tips that can help you crack the exam.
- Never lose track of your goal. You may have had one bad day. Don’t get discouraged but try and recoup the very next day and get back on track. Stay focused.
- Stay motivated throughout the journey. Don’t get discouraged and don’t compare yourself with others.
- Analyze where you are going wrong. While revising is important, analysis is much more important. Keep a track of how you are faring in terms of preparation at every stage. You need to be aware so that you can improve where needed.
- Take breaks, relax. It is important to take breaks. Take breaks to break the monotony and stress. Pursue your hobbies or indulge in an activity that will help you relax.
- Stay confident. Getting nervous can only be detrimental to all the efforts you have put in. Have faith in yourself and give it your best shot. Think of it like this, if you are nervous, the chances of you messing things up are higher. On the other hand, moving ahead with confidence will only help you fare better and in turn fetch you more marks.
- Do not panic. While solving questions do not panic if you have devoted more than required time on a particular subject. Stay calm, sit back and review what went wrong and what can be better. Then modify your plan accordingly.
- Lastly and most importantly, take good care of yourself. Ensure that you sleep well, eat well and stay healthy and focused. Do not get stressed, that’s the worst thing you could do to yourself.
While having a dream is a great way to start, it is more important to actually begin walking on the path towards achieving you dream. Every success story has tons of hard work behind it. You must have a dedicated plan and strategy to ensure success. Plan well and work hard. We hope that the above mentioned GATE preparation tips and guidelines will be beneficial for you to kick start your GATE journey and build your chances of success in GATE 2019.
Good luck and all the best!