Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination which evaluates the knowledge of different undergraduate subjects in engineering and science. The GATE exam is primarily conducted for admissions into the post-graduation engineering programmes in Indian institutes. Admissions into a post graduate course in foreign universities has a different selection process which involves GRE scores or, they may have their own selection criteria. However, some foreign universities and colleges in Singapore and Germany accept the GATE score.
Universities in Singapore
The two highly ranked, top class colleges in Singapore which accept the GATE score are the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Nan Yang Technology University of Singapore (NTU).
The eligibility and admission process for both the universities are similar and are as follows.
- The minimum GATE score required is 90 percentile.
- The GATE score is valid only for three years.
- Students should have a good GPA or a good percentage in their bachelor’s degree with at least second class honours.
- They should also obtain a good score in IELTS or TOEFL to determine their English proficiency. A minimum score of 85 in TOEFL and 6 in IELTS is required.
Admission process for GATE qualifiers:
Admissions for MS and PhD courses take place in two intakes annually, one in January and the other in August. For foreign students the application is available in the month October, every year. The application form is available online on the official website of the university. Applicants should make sure they meet all the eligibility requirements and carefully fill the application form, providing all the documents in the same order requested.
National University of Singapore:
The national University of Singapore is one of Singapore’s best universities and is among the top 20 universities in the world. Indian students who want to pursue their higher education in MS programmes or PhD can apply to NUS through the GATE exam.
One very important criterion to be noted is that the university advices candidates to directly apply to them and not go through any other agencies. Candidates who apply through agents will not have any added advantage but rather their applications may be rejected without any reason.
Duration of the course:
Masters program – 1 to 3 years
PhD program – 2 to 5 years
10000~17220 SGD (Singapore dollars)/ ₹3 to 5 Lakh rupees per year.
Nan Yang Technological University Singapore (NTU)
Nan Yang Technology University is also one of the top universities in Singapore and is ranked 13 in the QS world university ranking. They accept GATE score for admission into their masters and PhD programs.
The branches in which the GATE score is accepted are as follows:
- School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering.
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- School of Computer Engineering.
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- School of Materials Science and Engineering.
- School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
Universities in Germany accepting the GATE score:
There are two universities in Germany which accept the GATE score for admission into their post-graduation programs. The two great universities are Technical University of Munich (TUM) and RWTH Aachen University.
Technical University of Munich
Technical University of Munich is a famous University and is ranked 60 in the QS world university ranking. This university accepts GATE score for admission in their post graduation courses.
The courses for which GATE qualifiers can apply are:
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering,
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Surveying,
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.
- For students applying from India, a current gate exam score is applicable. A good score in the gate exam is required.
- The student should also have a good GPA in their bachelor’s degree.
Application process for international students.
- The first step in applying to TUM is to be aware of the general requirements for graduate studies and the assessment procedures. Prepare all the documents required.
- Before starting the online application it is important to check your master access authorisation i.e. to check of your degree in India allows access to a Master’s degree in Germany.
- It is also important to provide proof of your language skills.
- Next Apply for your preliminary documentation via uni-assist within the application period. Uni-assit is a University Application Service for International Students. It processes applications from international students on behalf of TUM. The role of uni-assit is to evaluate the applicants University entrance qualification and check the applicant’s certificates to determine where that stands in the German grading system. Through this process it is determined if the student is qualified to do the post gradual program.
- The next step is to enquire about the visa requirements and contact the German embassy in your state.
- It is mandatory for all applicants to have a German statutory health insurance fund before enrolling at TUM.
- After submitting the application through TUM online, it is verified and the applicant has to undergo an aptitude test which is a two steps process. In the first step, the bachelor’s grade and written documents are evaluated by a points system. Based on the score achieved the applicant is admitted, rejected or invited for a 20 minute interview which is the second step. In the interview the panel will determine if the candidate has the right qualifications to successfully complete the course.
- If the applicant is admitted to TUM, they will be informed by a message or email.
PG program fee – 500 euros /semester
RWTH Aachen University
RWTH Aachen University is a popular college in Germany with a 145th rank in the QS world university rankings. This university also accepts GATE Score for the admission in postgraduate programs. RWTH Aachen is a member of IDEA league and is in collaboration with Imperial College London.
The university accepts the GATE score for admission into the following faculties:
- Applied Geophysics
- Automotive Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering,
- Media Informatics
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Software Systems Engineering
- The minimum criterion for admission to masters programs is 90 percentile in GATE. Applicants for a Master’s degree should have a good GPA in its respective bachelor’s degree. One cannot pursue a bachelor’s degree in one subject and a Master’s in another.
- For the proof of language skills a good score in IELTS or TOEFL is required.
It is very important for students to complete the application and submit before the deadline. Students seeking admission to RWTH are required to submit their applications by March 1 if they are applying for the for winter session, otherwise by September 1 for the summer session, every year.
PG programs – 240 euros / semester.