Boult and Taylor help New Zealand reclaim Chappell–Hadlee Trophy
- New Zealand claimed a 24 run victory over Australia at Seddon Park in Hamilton to regain the Chappell-Hadlee trophy by a 2-0 series win.
- The Black Caps posted a competitive total of 281/9, chasing the total Australia slumped to 257 all out.
- Standout performances came from Trent Boult with a 6-wicket haul and a brilliant century knock by Ross Taylor.
India and Bangladesh held talks on Ganga basin project
- Bangladesh and India have held talks on the Ganga basin development project after dialogue on the Teesta water sharing agreement slowed down.
- Ganga basin development project will help agriculture and river navigation and revive the river economy of both countries
- The project was first conceived during the UPA rule.
India to host two major international basket ball events this year
- India will host two major international basketball tournaments later this year. The FIBA Women’s Asia Cup will be held from July 23 to 29 in Bengaluru and the FIBA U-16 Women’s Asian Championship in Hyderabad from Oct. 22 to 28.
- Basketball Federation of India (BFI) will be the coordinating agency in conducting these events
Indian boys win team gold in Asian Junior Squash
- India defeated Malaysia 2-0 to win the gold medal in the boy's team event at the Asian Junior Squash championship in Hong Kong India's no.1 player Velavan Senthilkumar first defeated second seed Malaysia's Ong Sai Hun in quick time.
- Abhay Singh prevailed over Darren Rahul in hard-fought five games to lift the title for India.
Indian Navy launches underwater harbour defence and surveillance system
- Indian Navy has launched an Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS) to enhance the security of valuable naval assets against asymmetric threats.
- It is integrated with radars, advance sensors, electro optic cameras and sound navigation and ranging systems (SONARs).
- It was developed by Israeli Aerospace Industries ELTA.
Le Pen launches campaign “France first”
- Marine Le Pen has formally launched her presidential campaign, promising to put France first by freeing it from the tyrannies of globalisation, Islamic fundamentalism and the European Union.
- Le Pen, leader of the nationalist Front National
NASA’s Juno spacecraft completes fourth flyby of Jupiter
- NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft has completed closest flyby of Jupiter mysterious cloud tops for the fourth time.
- Juno was launched in August 2011 to study Jupiter’s composition and evolution. It’s the first solar power spacecraft to orbit Jupiter and second after Galileo.
National Table Tennis Titles: Sharath Kamal and Madhurika Patkar are winners
- Sharath Kamal has won his seventh national table tennis singles title when he overpowered two-time winner Soumyajit Ghosh in six games.
- For Madhurika, it was her first national title, after beating a seven-time winner and 11-time finalist Poulomi Ghatak in straight games.
Romanian government repeals emergency decree
- Romanian government has scrapped a contentious corruption decree after a series of mass demonstrations across the country.
- It had approved the withdrawal of a controversial executive order that would have decriminalized certain grant offences and protected politicians from prosecution.
- The decree, passed last week was to make abuse of power a crime only punishable by jail if the sums involved exceeded 200,000 lei (£38,000).
Sasikala set to become the third woman Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
AIADMK General Secretary Sasikala was formally made the party legislative party chief, paving the way for her to become the third woman Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. Incumbent CM Panneeraselvam resigned from the post and proposed her name at the meeting of AIADMK legislators. She was unanimously elected as leader of the party in assembly.
Slovakian Scientist discovered world’s earliest emoji
Curators from the National Archives in Trencin, Slovakia, have discovered world’s earliest emoji in documents from a 17th century Slovakian lawyer. The discovered oldest emoji consists of a circle and three dots symbol is a direct ancestor of the smiley face we use today.
South Africa rout Sri Lanka to lead series 3-0
- South Africa routed Sri Lanka by seven wickets to take the third one-day international at the Wanderers.
- The hosts took a winning 3-0 lead in the five-match series after bowling out Sri Lanka for 163 before South African captain AB de Villiers starred with an undefeated 60.
Trump to replace Obamacare healthcare plan by 2018
- US President Donald Trump is planning to introduce a new healthcare plan in place of Obamacare by 2018.
- Earlier Trump has signed an executive order on Obamacare giving individual US states a choice - keep Obamacare or provide alternate coverage while receiving the same subsidies from the federal government.
World’s smallest pacemaker unveiled in US
- Scientists have successfully implanted for the first time the world’s smallest pacemaker dubbed as Micra Transcatheter Pacing System (TPS) in a patient in the United States.
- The pacemaker about the size of large vitamin capsule is for patients with bradycardia, a condition characterised by a slow heart rate, usually fewer than 60 beats per minute.
- TPS provides the most advanced pacing technology.