Daily Current Affairs - 02nd Jun 2017
India signs loan agreement of 36 million dollar with World Bank
- India signed a loan agreement of 36 million dollar with the World Bank for Himachal Pradesh Public Financial Management Capacity Building Programme. The project aims to to improve the efficiency of public expenditure management and tax administration in Himachal Pradesh.
- The Program is expected to boost the efficiency of key departments, improving budget credibility, strengthening systems and procedures to improve fiscal discipline, improving revenue administration to increase fiscal space, and targeted organisational reforms including human resource reforms.
- Himachal Pradesh CM:Virbhadra Singh
- Governor: Acharya Devvrat
Japan Lower House Panel passes Abdication Bill
- In Japan, members of a committee in the Lower House approved a bill enabling Emperor Akihito to abdicate.
- Last year the Emperor has expressed concerns that his advanced age may someday make it difficult to carry out his duties. The Emperor is 83 years old.
- It says his abdication should come within 3 years of the announcement of the law and that it will only apply to the current Emperor.
- Japan Parliament: National Diet
- Prime Minister: Shinzo Abe
- Currency: Yen
- Capital: Tokyo
Britain PM Theresa May under pressure as poll nears
- With a week to go to the general election, the ruling Conservative Party’s comfortable lead over the Labour continued to evaporate, and Prime Minister Theresa May faced the fall-out of her decision not to take part in a televised debate in which the leaders of all other parties, bar the Scottish National Party, took part.
- While Ms. May has an approval rating of 43% according to the poll conducted by YouGov for The Times , (Mr. Corbyn of Labour party has 30%), a movement has also been gathering against her.
China vows to stick to Paris pact
- China will continue to implement promises made in the Paris Agreement, to move towards the 2030 goal step by step steadfastly. It has been investing billions in clean energy infrastructure, as its leaders seek to clear up the notorious choking pollution enveloping its biggest cities, including Beijing.
- After reaching certain development level, China plans to move to a sustainable model, that means to push green based development.
- The Paris Agreement is an agreement within the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) dealing with greenhouse gas emissions mitigation, adaptation and finance starting in the year 2020.
Economy expected to grow by 7.5 per cent in current fiscal: NITI Aayog
- NITI Aayog said that country economy is expected to grow by 7.5 % in the current fiscal. According to it, the GDP is expected to reach 8 per cent by the end of current government's term.
- It is working on reducing fiscal deficit to 3 per cent of the GDP by next financial year and revenue deficit to 0.9 per cent by 2019-20.
- The Aayog will develop a composite gender based index to reflect the status of women in the country and enhance the welfare of women, children, youth, minorities, SC, ST, OBC and divyangs.
- It also proposes to introduce skill based education and extra curricular activities as mandatory part of school curricula and design innovative conditional cash transfer schemes to encourage girls’ education. It working towards promoting innovation in the country, through Atal Innovation Mission.
- NITI Aayog Chairman:Narendra Modi
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairman: Arvind Panagariya
French Open: Indian pair of Raja-Sharan in pre-quarters
- In Tennis, the Indian pair of Purav Raja and Divij Sharan upstaged the 15th-seeded Austrian-Croat combo of Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic to enter the men's doubles pre-quarterfinals of French Open.
- The unseeded Indian combo defeated Oliver and Mate 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in the second-round match that lasted for two hours and 11 minutes. The duo will next face the 11th seeded team of Jean-Julien Rojer of the Netherlands and Romania's Horia Tecau.
Historian Ramachandra Guha resigns as BCCI Administrator
- Historian Ramachandra Guha has tendered his resignation as BCCI administrator citing personal reasons. He submitted his resignation letter to Chairman of the Committee of Administrators of the BCCI Vinod Rai
- Ramachandra Guha was one among the four administrators appointed by the Supreme Court on January 30 to run the affairs of BCCI.
- The four member committee was headed by former Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai. The other two members are managing Director of Infrastructure Development Finance Company (IDFC) Vikram Limaye and former Indian women cricket captain Diana Edulji.
India, Pakistan to become full SCO members at Astana summit: China
- India and Pakistan’s admission as full members to the China-backed Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) will be formalised at the SCO’s summit to be held in Astana, Kazakhstan on 8-9 June. The summit will complete the admission procedures of these two countries.
- During the 2015 summit in Ufa, Russia, the SCO formally adopted a resolution starting the process to admit India and Pakistan into the organisation as full members.
- SCO is the political and security grouping headquartered in Beijing. The full members of the organization are China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.
- The groupings main objective is military cooperation between the members. It also works towards intelligence-sharing, counter-terrorism operations in Central Asia.
India, Russia Sign Pact For Two More Units of Kudankulam N-plant, to Push Military Ties
- India and Russia signed the much-awaited agreement on setting up of two more units of a nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu and decided to give a new direction to the defence cooperation between the two great powers.
- The two countries also decided to hold the first tri-Services exercises, named 'Indra-2017', this year and start joint manufacturing of frigates, adding on to the co-production of Kamov-226 military helicopters.
- An agreement on cultural exchanges for a period of two years (2017-2019) has been signed between the two nations.
- The other pacts included a contract for a high-speed train service between Nagpur and Secunderabad, an MoU for export of precious stones and jewellery.
Internet usage rises 28% in 2016: report
- According to Mary Meeker Internet Trends 2017 report, internet users in India grew to an estimated 355 million users in 2016, up 28% from 277 million in the previous year. However, Internet penetration still stands at 27%.
- It also pointed out that the average selling price of a smartphone and the cost of wireless data were declining.
- Data prices have fallen more than 48% over the past last year as incumbent players were forced to bring down prices in response to low pricing by new entrant Reliance Jio.
- Indians spent 150 billion hours between 2014-16 on Android phone and are the biggest downloaders of applications from Google Play with more than six billion downloads during the two-year period.
Kohli, Dhoni, Yuvraj, Raina feature in ESPN World Fame 100 list
- India captain Virat Kohli, former skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni and stylish left-handed batsmen, Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina, have found places in this year's ESPN World Fame 100 list that made its debut last year.
- While Kohli is placed in the 13th spot and Dhoni in the 15th, Yuvraj and Raina have been ranked 90th and 95th respectively.
- Heading the list is top Portuguese footballer Christiano Ronaldo while NBA great Lebron James, another soccer star Lionel Messi and tennis ace Roger Federer are the top four athletes, in that order.
- The others in the top ten are: Phil Mickelson, Neymar Usain Bolt, Kevin Durant, Rafael Nadal and Tiger Woods.
- The ranking is based on a formula devised by ESPN director of sports analytics Ben Alamar, which combines endorsements, social media reach and other data to create a comparative ranking system.
Manufacturing growth slows to 3-month low
- The country’s manufacturing sector growth cooled to a three-month low in May following softer demand causing slower expansions in output and the amount of new work received by firms., according to Nikkei India Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI).
- The manufacturing activity — was down from 52.5 in April to a three-month low of 51.6. An index reading above 50 indicates an overall expansion, below 50 shows contraction. There was a renewed decline in new export orders and cost inflationary pressures cooled.
Odisha to have first automatic coastal warning for disasters in India
- The Odisha government is all set to commission the ambitious Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) that would enable loud sirens go off simultaneously from towers at 122 locations. The 122 locations include tourist destinations, fish landing centres and coastal habitations.
- The EWDS comprises of technologies like Satellite-Based Mobile Data Voice Terminals (SBMDVT), Digital Mobile Radio (DMR), Mass Messaging System (MMS) and Universal Communication Interface (UCI) for inter-operability among different communication technologies.
- Odisha is the first State in India to have developed an automatic public address system that can be activated along its entire coast.
- The new system will also enable authorities to alert people in smaller pockets, depending on the severity of the disaster.
- Odisha CM: Naveen Patnaik
Root, Hales power England home
- Joe Root’s unbeaten 133 saw England register an eight-wicket win over Bangladesh in the opening match of the Champions Trophy at the Oval. England opener Alex Hales contributed 95 with the bat.
- England, set 306 for victory, reached the target with 16 balls to spare, losing just two wickets. Earlier, Tamim Iqbal’s 128 was the centrepiece of Bangladesh’s 305 for six.
Sai Praneeth, Saina enters Thailand Grand Prix quarterfinals
- Saina Nehwal and B. Sai Praneeth made short work of their opponents in women’s and men’s singles respectively to reach the quarterfinals of the $120000 Thailand Grand Prix Gold.
- Saina defeated Ying Ying Lee of Malaysia 21-11, 21-14 to set up a clash with Japanese qualifier Haruko Suzuki.
- Praneeth didn’t break much sweat in getting across ninth seed Iskandar Zulkarnain of Malaysia 21-13, 21-18.
Telangana government Launches T-Wallet
- Telangana became the first state in the country to launch official e-wallet, named T-Wallet, which doesn’t charge transaction fee from consumers.
- Using this platform, the citizens not only can make payments to government and private organisations towards various services but also receive the benefits from government like pensions, scholarships and MNREGA wages.
- The digital payment option will be available across formats such as online web browser, smartphone, feature phone and even without a phone.
- It was launched in association with Bengaluru-based fintech startup Transaction Analysts.
Trump mulls reviving limits on travel to Cuba
- U.S. President Donald Trump is considering reversing major pieces of the Obama administration’s opening with Cuba and reinstating limits on travel and commerce, citing human rights abuses by the Cuban government as justification.
- Among the measures, the Trump administration is considering are proposals to block transactions between American firms and firms that have ties to the Cuban military.
- Cuban President: Raul Castro
- Capital: Havana
- Currency: Cuban convertible peso, Cuban peso
World TT Championships: Mouma-Manika make history by becoming first Indian pair to reach quarters
- Manika Batra and Mouma Das made history by becoming the first Indian pair to reach the quarterfinals of the World Table Tennis Championships in Dusseldorf, Germany.
- Mouma and Manika stormed in to next round after a walkover from the Netherlands and Polish combination of Li Jie and Li Quian.
- In the men's singles, top-ranked Indian Sharath Kamal stormed into the round of 32 beating Ukraine’s Kou Lei in straight games of 11-3, 11-9, 14-12, 11-3.