Daily Current Affairs - 23rd Aug 2017
200 young CEOs to meet PM Narendra Modi
- Addressing a meeting of young CEOs in New Delhi Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asked the industry leaders to think about what more they can do for the poorest of the poor.
- Mr. Modi urged the young entrepreneurs to become soldiers of development.
- He said, there is a need to make India's development a mass movement in the same spirit as Mahatma Gandhi did for the freedom struggle.
Aryan Chopra finishes third
- 15-year-old GM Aryan Chopra finished a creditable third at the 24th Abu Dhabi International Chess Festival.
- Another youngster N.R. Vignesh finished 10th , way ahead of S.P. Sethuraman (15th), M. Karthiyan (18th), Abhimanyu Puranik (19th) and Shardul Gagare (20th).
Dassault Systemes puts 3D software on the cloud
- Dassault Systemes, a French company providing 3D design software, has introduced the software, 3DEXPERIENCE, on the cloud to customers in India.
- 3DEXPERIENCE helps customers capture all aspects of a product design, simulation and manufacturing processes alongside its solution for industries such as aerospace, defence, industrial engineering and transportation.
ENC Golden Jubilee Maritime Seminar Inaugurated
- The Eastern Naval Command Golden Jubilee Seminar with the theme "National Maritime Power - Concepts, Constituents and Catalysts", commenced at Samudrika Auditorium Visakhapatnam , 22 August 2017.
- The two-day seminar is jointly hosted by ENC in partnership with the National Maritime Foundation (NMF).
- Vice Admiral HCS Bisht, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, ENC narrated the fifty years of the epic journey of ENC.
Felix is junior men's hockey team coach
- Jude Felix,was announced as coach of the junior Indian men's hockey team.
- Felix, who has been in charge of the junior ‘core group' for a couple of months now, replaced Harendra Singh, who coached India to World Cup victory on home soil last year.
- Felix was assistant coach when the senior men's team won the Asian Games gold in 2014.
FSSAI plans food safety index to measure performance of States
- To encourage States to have a robust food safety ecosystem, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) will soon launch a food safety index to measure their performance on various parameters.
- The various parameters will include status of food safety infrastructure, manpower, enforcement, training capacity and steps to address consumer grievances, among others.
- Under the Food Safety on Wheels initiative, 62 mobile food lab units will be deployed across the country for food testing, public education and awareness and for conducting training and certification programmes.
India and Uzbekistan should work for increasing trade: Vice President
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu has said that India and Uzbekistan should work for increasing trade between these two nations to the tune of 1 bn USD by March 2018.
- He was interacting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Uzbekistan, Mr. Abdulaziz Kamilov.
- He expressed his happiness over several cultural events which were held in Uzbekistan to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of establishment of diplomatic relations between these two nations.
India is 3rd-largest importer of Vietnam pepper
- India became the third-largest importer of Vietnamese pepper in the January-July period, overtaking the UAE.
India welcomes Trump's new Afghanistan policy
- Hitting out at cross-border terrorism from Pakistan, India on Tuesday welcomed U.S. President Donald Trump's new policy on Afghanistan and said his move would help target "safe havens" of terrorism in South Asia.
- American leader's call for an end to Pakistan's involvement in terrorism in Afghanistan and his support for Afghan-led peace process had addressed a core Indian concern.
- Mr. Trump urged India to do more to help Afghanistan with its developmental needs and urged Pakistan to stop terror attacks that originate from its territory.
Infosys out of top 10 BSE m-cap list
- IT major Infosys is no longer on the list of top 10 most-valued companies on the BSE and the NSE as the stock has taken a beating following the abrupt exit of its CEO Vishal Sikka.
- the market capitalisation (m- cap) of Infosys stood at Rs. 2.01 lakh crore on the BSE. With this, the company now ranks 11 on the m-cap chart of BSE listed companies.
- On the NSE, the company's market valuation stood at Rs. 2.01 lakh crore. Infosys takes the 11th spot on the NSE as well, in terms of market cap.
National Sports Awards – 2017
- National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.
- (i)Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2017
S. No. Name of the Awardee discipline 1 Shri Devendra Para Athlete 2 Shri Sardar Singh Hockey
- Dronacharya Awards 2017
S. No. Name of the Awardee Discipline 1 Late Dr. R. Gandhi Athletics 2 Mr. Heera Nand Kataria Kabaddi 3 Mr. G.S.S.V. Prasad Badminton (Lifetime) 4 Mr. Brij Bhushan Mohanty Boxing (Lifetime) 5 Mr. P.A. Raphel Hockey (Lifetime) 6 Mr. Sanjoy Chakraverthy Shooting (Lifetime) 7 Mr. Roshan Lal Wrestling (Lifetime)
- Arjuna Awards 2017
S. No. Name of the Awardees Discipline 1 Ms. V.J. Surekha Archery 2 Ms. Khushbir Kaur Athletics 3 Mr. Arokia Rajiv Athletics 4 Ms. Prasanthi Singh Basketball 5 Sub. LaishramDebendro Singh Boxing 6 Mr. CheteshwarPujara Cricket 7 Ms. Harmanpreet Kaur Cricket 8 Ms. OinamBembem Devi Football 9 Mr. S.S.P. Chawrasia Golf 10 Mr. S.V. Sunil Hockey 11 Mr. Jasvir Singh Kabaddi 12 Mr. P. N. Prakash Shooting 13 Mr. A. Amalraj Table Tennis 14 Mr. SakethMyneni Tennis 15 Mr. SatyawartKadian Wrestling 16 Mr. Mariyappan Para-Athlete 17 Mr. Varun Singh Bhati Para-Athlete
- Dhyan Chand Award
S. No. Name (S/Shri) Discipline 1 Mr. Bhupender Singh Athletics 2 Mr. Syed Shahid Hakim Football 3 Ms. Sumarai Tete Hockey
National Workshop on Enforcement of IPRs inaugurated in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Home Affairs, Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the three-day workshop on Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs).
- Shri Rajnath Singh said that counterfeiting and piracy activities give rise to serious organized crimes.
- This workshop will help enforcement agencies across the country understand and appreciate the importance of their role in IPR enforcement.
- It will also act as a platform for the officials to share their experiences, exchange best practices and better inter-agency coordination with respect to enforcement of IPRs. Besides people from enforcement agencies, many IP professionals, lawyers, law students and people from industry associations are also participating in the workshop.
NITI Aayog to launch "Mentor India" Campaign
- NITI Aayog will launch the Mentor India Campaign, a strategic nation building initiative to engage leaders who can guide and mentor students at more than 900 Atal Tinkering Labs, established across the country as a part of the Atal Innovation Mission.
- Atal Tinkering Labs are dedicated works spaces where students from Class 6th to Class 12th learn innovation skills and develop ideas that will go on to transform India
- NITI Aayog's Atal Innovation Mission is among one of the flagship programs of the Government of India to promote innovation and entrepreneurship in the country
No, no, no: SC on instant triple talaq
- Supreme Court yesterday set aside the practice of divorce through triple talaq among Muslims, terming it unconstitutional, illegal and void.
- In a 3:2 majority judgment, the apex court held that triple talaq is against the basic tenets of Quran and hence unacceptable.
- On the five-judge Bench, Justices Kurian Joseph,Justice U.U. Lalit and Rohinton Fali Nariman gave separate judgments against the validity of instant talaq.
- The triumvirate of Justices Kurian, Nariman and Lalit overwhelmed the minority verdict pronounced by Chief Justice of India J.S. Khehar and endorsed by Justice S. Abdul Nazeer.
Poland's Medicover picks up 22% in Maxcure Hospitals
- Poland-based healthcare provider Medicover AB has picked up 22 per cent stake in Hyderabad-based Maxcure Group of Hospitals with Rs. 100 crore.
- The investment of Medicover in Maxcure could go up to Rs. 320 crore amounting to 51 per cent stake.
- This is first of its kind investment from a western healthcare major in the Indian healthcare industry as investments made so far have been from mainly from Asian players.
Rishang Keishing passed away
- Rishang Keishing the grand old man of Manipur, Former Manipur Chief Minister and a member of the first Lok Sabha passed away
- Keishing, a Naga, served as the chief minister of Manipur from 1980 to 1988 and from 1994 to 1997.
- He was a member of the first Lok Sabha in 1952.
Two regional rural banks record over Rs. 150-cr profit in FY17
- According to the Reserve Bank of India's ‘Report on Trend and Progress of Banking in India', 45 of the 56 RRBs earned profits without carrying any accumulated losses during 2015-16.
- Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank and Andhra Pragathi Grameena Bank recorded net profit of more than Rs. 150 crore during 2016-17.
- Baroda Rajasthan Kshetriya Gramin Bank (sponsored by Bank of Baroda), Sarva Haryana Gramin Bank (Punjab National Bank) and Chhattisgarh Rajya Gramin Bank (State Bank of India) crossed the Rs. 100-crore mark in net profit during 2016-17.
- Uttar Bihar Gramin Bank (Central Bank of India), Jammu and Kashmir Grameen Bank (Jammu and Kashmir Bank), and Sutlej Gramin Bank (Punjab and Sind Bank) recorded losses during the year.
- At the end-March 2017, RRBs had 21,398 branches spread across 676 districts and 28 States.