Daily Current Affairs - 29th Aug 2017
Bharti partners Symantec to offer cybersecurity to businesses
- Bharti Airtel announced a strategic partnership with Symantec Corp. to provide cybersecurity solutions to businesses in India. Bharti will be the exclusive cybersecurity services partner for the U.S.-headquartered firm in India, and will also distribute its enterprise security software.
- As Indian enterprises embraced cloud applications and infrastructure, they required security technologies built for the cloud-based environment.
Data security: Centre may grant handset makers time
- The Centre is likely to extend the last date for handset companies to submit details on their security practices to safeguard users’ personal data after a majority failed to meet the August 28 deadline. As there is an urgent need to ensure safety and security of mobile phones, especially in the light of the government’s digitization push.
- Following reports of data leakage and theft, the government had asked about 30 smartphone vendors to provide details of practices and procedures they follow to ensure that user data remains safe. It had asked them to provide details of all the procedures, architecture, frameworks, and standards adopted by them.
- Companies including Chinese firms such as Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi, OnePlus and Gionee — besides others inclusive of Apple, Samsung and Micromax, were given eight days to respond.
DIPP releases next edition of consolidated FDI policy
- The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) has released its latest edition of consolidated Foreign Direct Investment Policy incorporating all the changes in rules and procedures notified by the government over the past year.
- The consolidated policy lays down the general conditions on FDI, procedures for government approval and sector specific conditions on FDI.
- The policy document also includes a separate paragraph on start-ups which can raise up to 100 per cent of funds from Foreign Venture Capital Investor (FVCI) against receipt of foreign remittance.
- In the past year, the government has liberalized FDI rules in a number of sectors including food retail, construction and development, civil aviation, defence and private security agencies.
- Now more than 90 per cent of FDI now flows into the country through the automatic route without needing clearances.
I-T department warns against cash dealings above Rs 2 lakh
- The Income Tax Department warned people against cash dealings of 2 lakh rupees and more, saying any violation of this cap will invite strict penalty under law. The department said accepting Rs 2 lakh or more in aggregate from a single person in a day for one or more transactions relating to one event or occasion is prohibited.
- Similarly, receiving or repaying 20,000 rupees or more in cash for transfer of immovable property and paying more than 10,000 rupees in cash relating to expenditure of business or profession is also banned.
- The central government had banned cash transactions of 2 lakh rupees or more from April 1, 2017, through the Finance Act 2017.
India and China agree to withdraw troops from Doklam
- The over two-month long stand-off between India and China in Doklam has ended as both countries have withdrawn their troops from the area. The decision comes in the run-up to a summit of the BRICS nations - in China early next month, which India's prime minister Narendra Modi is expected to attend.
- Chinese and Indian troops have been confronting each other at the Doklam plateau near the borders of India,its ally Bhutan and China.
- India says the dispute erupted after India objected to the Chinese building a road through the mountainous area which it felt was a threat to the security of its own northeast region.
India office rentals rise in second quarter
- The increase in office rentals in Indian cities like Bengaluru, in the second quarter of 2017, has matched that in Hong Kong, Seoul and Tokyo, according to a Knight Frank Asia Pacific Prime Office Rental Index Q2.
- Bengaluru continued to attract occupier interest from the IT and ITes sector with a 4% increase quarter on quarter and a 7.1 % increase year-on year in Q2.
- Key business districts in Mumbai and New Delhi too showed growth in the quarter compared with the same period in 2016.
- Jakarta, Singapore and Beijing saw a contraction in the 12-month period and flat to zero growth in the quarter.
National Sports Day being observed today
- National Sports Day will be observed across India on August 29 to mark the birth anniversary of Hockey legend Dhyan Chand. To celebrate the day various programs are being conducted through the country.
- On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will give away the sports Awards that includes Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award at Rashtrapati Bhawan. A total of 29 players have been selected to receive the honours from President.
- Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player, who is considered as one of the greatest field hockey players of all time. He is known for his extraordinary goal-scoring feats, in addition to earning three Olympic Gold Medals in field hockey. He is known as “The Wizard” for his superb ball control.
Nepal PM Sher Bahadur Deuba terms his India visit successful
- Nepal Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba has said that his recent India visit was successful and it has laid down the foundation for further strengthening of India-Nepal relations. Deuba said that he put forth the problems of flooding and inundation in border areas before Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Pancheshwar Multi-Purpose Project was also discussed and concerned officials have been directed to finalize Detailed Project Report within a month.
- Both sides agreed for development and expansion of tourism sector, construction of Nijgadh airport and construction of 132 KV transmission line. Also held talks with the Indian side for economic development and investment in Nepal.
Qatar firm on India airline plan
- Qatar Airways is firm on its plan to start an airline in India despite facing business challenges because of sanctions imposed on Qatar by some Gulf countries. The Airways CEO said that India is a big market and will soon start operations. Also in the pipeline, this year and 2018, are plans to start operations to Abidjan in Ivory Coast, Accra in Ghana, Canberra in Australia, Chiang Mai and Utapao in Thailand, Chittagong in Bangladesh, San Francisco in the U.S., Mombasa in Kenya
- Started 24 years ago, Qatar Airways based out of the state-of-the-art Hamad International Airport in Doha.
- Qatar Airways group chief executive: Akbar Al Baker
RBI issues new Rs 200, Rs 50 notes
- The Reserve Bank of India issued new Rs 200 and Rs 50 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi (New) Series, bearing signature of RBI Governor Urjit Patel. The new Rs. 200 denomination has motif of Sanchi Stupa on the reverse, depicting the country’s cultural heritage.
- The base colour of the note is bright yellow. The note has other designs, geometric patterns aligning with the overall colour scheme, both at the obverse and reverse.
- Initially, the new Rs 200 notes will be circulated by select RBI offices, and some banks.
Tennis: Fourth & final Grand Slam of season US Open begins in NewYork
- The US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam of the season, begins in New York. Recently crowned world number one Rafael Nadal, this year's Australian Open and Wimbledon winner Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, Karolina Pliskova and Simona Halep are among the top players taking part in the tournament.
- Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna are among the Indians who will be seen in action in the Doubles.
- Major players not featuring this year's US open are Stanislas Wawrinka, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic, Milos Raonic, Kei Nishikori and Serena Williams.
TRAI starts process for next round of spectrum auction
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India kick-started the process for the next round of spectrum auctions by issuing a consultation paper on key issues for sale of airwaves, including for offering 5G services.
- The issues on which the regulator has sought comments include the quantum of spectrum to be auctioned, optimal block size, spectrum cap, roll-out conditions and methods to be used for valuation and estimation of reserve price of spectrum.
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) had planned to auction spectrum in the 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 2100 MHz, 2300 MHz, 2500 MHz, 3300- 3400 MHz and 3400-3600 MHz bands in 2017.
- TRAI Chief: R.S.Sharma
World Badminton Championships 2017: Viktor Axelsen clinches gold medal with win over Lin Dan
- Denmark's Viktor Axelsen defeated the legendary Lin Dan in straight games 20-22, 16-21 to claim the men's singles gold at the World Championships in Glasgow. Axelsen is the third Dane to claim the men's singles crown. Flemming Delfs won the inaugural 1977 title and Peter Rasmussen was a winner.
World Boxing Championships: Amit, Kavinder & Gaurav enter in quarterfinals
- Amit Phangal in 49kg, Kavinder Bisht in 52kg and Gaurav Bidhuri in 56kg category have entered in the quarterfinals of 19th World Boxing Championships being held in Hamburg, Germany.
- Amit stunned seventh seed Carlos Quipo of Ecuador, Gaurav got the better of Ukrainian Mykola Butsenko in a pre-quarterfinal bout. Kavinder notched up a remarkable 3-2 victory over Algeria's two-time world medallist Mohamed Flissi to make the last eight stage.
- Manoj Kumar of 69kg & Vikas Krishan of 75kg crashed out from the tournament.