Daily Current Affairs - 01st Oct 2017
BAI to crackdown on overage issue
- Amidst growing complaints of age fraud in Indian badminton, Himanta Biswa Sarma, president Badminton Association of India, has outlined a shift in the approach towards dealing with the issue.
- Medical tests to ascertain the actual age will now be conducted on the players at the beginning of the season.
Bank mergers: fintech firms smell more business
- Consolidation among public sector banks is expected to throw up opportunities for financial technology (fintech) companies which see a surge in demand for their products and services in the medium term.
- As per indications emerging from the Centre, three or four banks could be merged with a stronger bank in a bid to address the issue of burgeoning non-performing assets that have been plaguing the sector for a while now.
- However, the path may not be smooth, to begin with, especially for players whose offerings include core banking solutions (CBS).
Blockchain tech-based smartphone unveiled
- Gurugram-based VVDN, in partnership with Ireland’s Embedded Downloads, unveiled blockchain technology-based smartphone BitVault for Rs. 75,000 a unit.
- This is the world’s first blockchain technology-based smartphone. The phone does not support Google Play Store and has developed its own mobile application.
- The main focus is secured communication. The company will initially focus on enterprise customers, defence and police for sale of this product.
Economic Affairs secretary Garg gets additional charge as corporate affairs secretary
- Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Garg has been given additional charge as Secretary of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- He will replace Tapan Ray, who has retired. Mr. Ray had briefly held charge of Economic Affairs Secretary before Garg.
Football World Cup for under-17s
- One of the oldest football playing nations, India, has reconnected with the world. From October 6, India will host a total of 24 countries for the Under-17 football World Cup to be played over six venues, with Kolkata getting the most number of matches 10 including the final on October 28.
- Besides Kolkata, the other venues are Guwahati, New Delhi, Mumbai, Goa and Kochi.
IIT Rourkee repurposes a drug for chikungunya
- A drug to treat chikungunya virus infection is in the offing, and in vitro studies carried out by a team of researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Rourkee.
- Currently, there is no cure for the disease and treatment is focused more on relieving the symptoms.
- The researchers are planning to carry out trials on animals. Since the drug is already approved for use in humans, toxicity studies in animals will not be needed. But studies on animals to evaluate the antiviral activity and, hence, the efficacy has to be carried out.
India qualifies for the AFC U-16 championship
- The Indian football team qualified for the AFC U-16 championship to be held next year in Malaysia after finishing second in its group qualifying round in Kathmandu.
- India qualified as one of the best second-placed teams from the group matches. India, which was in Group-D, beat Palestine 3-0, drew 2-2 with Nepal and 0-0 with group topper Iraq to collect five points.
- The other second-placed teams to qualify were Oman, Thailand, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
Karnataka to get new solar park soon
- A 2,000 MW solar power park would be set up at Pavagada in Karnataka's Tumakuru district to meet the state's energy needs.
- The solar park, spread over 13,000 acres across five villages of the taluk, will generate 2,000 MW of power by September 2018. In the first phase, to be ready by December, it would generate 600 MW.
- With this and other solar projects, the State would become the number one State in solar power.
- The Pavagada park is financed and co-developed by the Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), the State government, and developers who pay upfront charges.
Madurai railway station to get enhanced security system
- Madurai railway station, graded as A1 railway station by the Indian Railways, would become the first station in the country to introduce enhanced security system to keep baggages in the dock-room with ‘checked baggage stickers’ on the lines of the system in airports.
- The system, with the help of Railway Protection Force, would enhance security in railway stations and prevent any sabotage attempt.
MG Motor takes over GM’s Halol plant to make in India
- U.K.-based MG Motor, the subsidiary of Chinese automobile giant SAIC Motor said it had inaugurated its first-ever manufacturing facility in India at the closed down car manufacturing facility of General Motors at Halol in Gujarat.
- The company said it would invest a minimum of Rs. 2,000 crore in its car manufacturing facility in India.
- The facility at Halol spread over an area of 170 acres, would be completely revamped by MG Motor by 2019.
Ministry of Health adjudged best for ‘Swachhta Pakhwada’, receives award
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been adjudged as the best department for its contribution during Swachhta Pakhwada, an inter-Ministry initiative of Swachh Bharat Mission of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The Health Ministry observed the Swachhta Pakhwada from 1st February, 2017 to 15th February, 2017.
- During the Swacchta fortnight, all hospital/clinics were also directed to install waste bins for segregating waste and massive cleaning drives were undertaken in all the hospital wards and hospital premises.
PM lays foundation stone for AIIMS at Bilaspur
- The Prime Minister laid the foundation stone for the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), at Bilaspur.
- In addition to healthcare, it will also provide medical education at the under-graduate and post-graduate level, besides nursing.
- The Prime Minister laid the foundation stone for the Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT), at Una.
- Shri Narendra Modi also inaugurated a Steel Processing Unit of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL), at Kandrori, Kangra.
President of India appoints Governors
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed five new Governors for the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Assam and Meghalaya.
- The President has been pleased to make the following appointments:
- Brig. (Dr.) B. D. Mishra (Retd.) as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
- Shri Satya Pal Malik as the Governor of Bihar
- Shri Banwarilal Purohit as the Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Prof. Jagdish Mukhi as the Governor of Assam
- Shri Ganga Prasad as the Governor of Meghalaya
Spreading message of responsible tourism
- The Wayanad district administration, in association with the District Tourism Promotion Council, has come out with a documentary film to promote responsible tourism in the hill district.
- The informative film, “Wayanad, way beyond,” was produced as a part of rebranding the tourism possibilities of the district, a growing tourism destination of the State.
- Wayanad District came into existence on 1st November, 1980 as the 12th District of Kerala.
Tom Alter, Padma Shri actor and writer, dies aged 67
- Veteran film, television and theatre actor and Padma Shri Tom Alter has died aged 67. Alter acted in over 300 movies apart from numerous TV shows, most famously as the gangster Keshav Kalsi in the hit soap opera Junoon which ran for a record five years during the 1990s.
- In addition to acting, Alter also ventured into direction and was a sports journalist in the 80s and 90s. He was the first person to interview Sachin Tendulkar for TV when the cricketer was yet to debut for India.