Daily Current Affairs - 14th Oct 2017
Govt invites private players to buy out 51% in Pawan Hans
- The government invited bids from private companies, including foreign ones, to buy out its entire 51 per cent stake along with management control in helicopter service operator Pawan Hans Ltd.
- The Miniratna PSU is under the administrative control of the civil aviation ministry and the remaining 49 per cent stake is held by oil behemoth ONGC.
- The Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM) has already lined up a host of PSUs for strategic disinvestment.
- The government plans to raise Rs 15,000 crore via strategic sale in the current fiscal out of its total disinvestment target of Rs 72,509 crore.
Assam to get cancer care grid with Tata
- Assam government will soon set up a three-level cancer care grid in the state and a cancer research centre for the South Asian region with the support of Tata Trusts.
- The state government and Tata Trusts were working on this “first-of-the-kind” three-level cancer care grid which would draw an investment of about Rs 1,400 crore.
- The investment is proposed to be shared between the state government and Tata Trusts.
ICC announces nine-nation Test championship to boost format
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has given the green light to a test championship and one-day international league.
- The test championship would commence after the 50-overs World Cup in 2019 and culminate with a final in mid-2021.
- Nine of the 12 test-approved countries Zimbabwe, Afghanistan and Ireland will initially be excluded will play three home and three away series over the two years that count towards the championship.
- A 13-team ODI league would be introduced from 2021 and determine which teams qualify for the World Cup in India two years later.
ICC approves South Africa-Zimbabwe 4 day test on trial basis
- The International Cricket Council approved four-day Tests on a trial basis, effectively giving green light to the Boxing Day Test between hosts South Africa and Zimbabwe from December 26-29.
- The ICC Board, stated that members are free to organize bilateral four-day matches as an experiment till the 2019 World Cup.
- The first-ever four-day will be played with the pink-ball and under lights.
Inland Waterways Authority of India raises Rs. 660 crore through Bonds
- The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has raised Rs. 660 crore as “GOI Fully Serviced Bonds”.
- The proceeds from the Bonds are intended to be utilized by IWAI exclusively for capital expenditure for development of National Waterways (NWs) under National Waterway Act, 2016 during 2017-18.
- The principal and interest in respect of the EBRs worth Rs.660 crore shall be financed by the Government of India by making suitable budgetary provisions in the Demand for Grants of the Ministry of Shipping to meet the bond servicing requirements as and when the need arises. The interest payment will be on semi-annual basis and the principal on maturity.
International Day for Disaster Reduction
- International Day for Disaster Reduction, held every 13 October, celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters.
- The 2017 edition continues under the "Sendai Seven" campaign, centred on the seven targets of the Sendai Framework.
- This year's focus is Target B: Reducing the number of affected people by disasters by 2030.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal selects N4 Terminal Operating System
- The JNPCT has upgraded its terminal operating system to SPARCS N4 platform to optimize the terminal’s operational cycle.
- The N4 implementation process will be managed by Cargotec Corporation and will directly work with JNPCT, utilizing Navis’ methodology and project management tools.
- The new platform will help us achieve the desired productivity and growth goals through optimized operations on a modern platform.
NDMC, PSU bank join hands for real-time transfer of salaries
- The North Delhi Municipal Corporation has entered into an agreement with a PSU bank for real-time transfer of salaries to the accounts of its employees.
- The partnering bank, Union Bank of India, and technology firm Tech Mahendra will also facilitate the process.
- This process would mean that salaries would be sent to employees with a click of a button and without any further manual intervention.
PM Modi to lay foundation stone for 4 sewerage projects, 4 NH projects in Bihar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone for four sewerage projects costing 738 crore rupees and four National Highways projects of 195 Kilometer worth 3031 crore rupees in Bihar.
- The ceremony will take place at Mokama.
- These projects together will create new STP capacity of 120 MLD and upgrade the existing 20 MLD for Beur.
- After implementing these projects Patna will become a town having 100 percent sewerage infrastructure and no sewage water will drain into River Ganga.
Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana
- The Minister for Communications Shri Manoj Sinha launched the Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana and an initiative for expansion of clientele base of Postal Life Insurance.
- Under Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana, at least one village (having a minimum of 100 households) will be identified in each of the revenue districts of the country, wherein endeavour will be made to cover all households of that identified village with a minimum of one RPLI (Rural Postal Life Insurance) policy each.
- Coverage of all households in the identified Sampoorna Bima Gram village is the primary objective of this scheme.
SpaceX sends Satellite by re-using previously flown rocket
- After more than two years of landing its rockets after launch, SpaceX finally sent one of its used Falcon 9s back into space.
- Until now, practically all orbital rockets have been expendable, so they’re basically thrown away once they launch into space.That means an entirely new rocket has to be built for each mission to orbit.
- SpaceX’s strategy has been to land its rockets after launch in an effort to fly them again and again. That way the company can partially save on manufacturing costs for each mission.
- SpaceX has proven that part of a used Falcon 9 rocket can successfully launch to space again.
Supreme Court refers restrictions on women’s entry at Sabarimala to Constitution Bench
- A bunch of petitions in the Supreme Court have challenged the age-old practice in Kerala's famed temple of not allowing women aged between 10 and 50 to enter the temple The Supreme Court referred these petitions to a five-judge Constitution Bench
- A Constitution Bench will decide whether the rights of women, especially their fundamental right to religious freedom and to pray at the place of their choice, can be discriminated against by a temple managed by a statutory board here the Travancore Devaswom Board — created by a State Legislature
- On the other hand, the Constitution Bench will also decide whether the ban is protected by Article 25 (the right to religious freedom) of the Ayyappa devotees.
TCS saw most visa approvals for intra-company transfers to US in last 2 years
- Tata Consultancy Services got the highest number of intra company transfer visas approved in 2015 and 2016, allowing the company to transfer its people from its Indian operations to its US unit for projects.
- In fiscal year 2016 TCS got 1615 L-1 visa approvals, followed by Cognizant, which got 1337, and Infosys which got 277, and Wipro, which got 220 L-1 work visas approved.
- The agency that oversees lawful immigration in the US- the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has released the report.
Telangana students selected for prestigious NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge
- A team of five students from SR engineering college in Telangana has been selected for the prestigious NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge.
- The team, which will prepare a moon buggy design, report and submit their idea, will be led by faculty Manoj Chaudhary. It includes P. Paul Vineeth, Prakash Raineni, P.Sravan Rao, Rondla Dilipreddy Aand Venishetty Sneha
- The NASA Human Exploration Rover Challenge began as the NASA Great Moonbuggy Race and was first held in in 1994, 25 years after the first manned Apollo landing on the moon.
U.S. President Donald Trump signs order to weaken Obamacare
- Mr. Trump signed an executive order aimed at letting small businesses band together across state lines to buy cheaper, less regulated health plans for their employees with fewer benefits.
- The order weakens Obamacare in part by giving people more access to plans that do not cover essential health benefits.
- The House of Representatives in May passed Republican legislation to gut Obamacare. But attempts by Senate Republicans to repeal and replace Obamacare failed in July and September, in part because the proposed legislation would have caused millions of Americans to lose healthcare coverage.
- Obamacare, known formally as the Affordable Care Act, requires most small business and individual health plans to cover those benefits.
World Egg Day
- World Egg Day is celebrated every year on the second Friday in October and was first celebrated in 1996.So,in 2017 world egg day will be celebrated on 13th October
- The day is dedicated to help raise awareness of the many health benefits of eggs.
- Eggs are packed with high quality proteins, selenium, vitamin D, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper, which makes eggs one of the most nutritious food to load up on.