Daily Current Affairs - 16th Oct 2017
Arun Jaitley participates in the IMFC sessions
- The Union Finance Minister Shri Arun Jaitley participated in the IMFC(International Monetary and Financial Committee) session in Washington D.C.
- The Union Finance Minister highlighted the big structural reform initiatives taken by India Goods and Services Tax (GST), Demonetization and Insolvency and Bankruptcy code.
- He also attended the 96thMeeting of the Development Committee Plenary of the World Bank and discussed on World Development Report 2018, Maximising Finance for Development, Progress Report to Governors on Shareholding and Forward Look Implementation.
Chess grandmaster Lombardy no more
- William J. Lombardy, who was one of the most talented and promising chess players of his generation, winning titles and accolades while he was still a teenager, but who all but gave up the game at the height of his career to become a priest, died.
- Lombardy was the first American to win the World Junior Chess Championship and he led the United States to victory over the Soviet Union in the 1960 World Student Team Championship, beating Boris Spassky, the future world champion. He was later named a grandmaster, the World Chess Federation’s highest title.
China's People's Daily launches English app in soft power push
- The People's Daily, the mouthpiece of China's ruling Communist Party, launched an English- language mobile application it's a "strategic step" to strengthen Beijing's influence internationally.
- The newspaper, which sold an average of 3.18 million copies a day in 2016, launched a Chinese app three years ago ,but it did not yet have an app in English for mobile phones.
- Developing an English app is a strategic move to further enhance china's global influence and presence
- People's Daily Newspaper Group president –-Yang Zhenwu
Dharmendra Pradhan visit to Japan
- Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan visits Japan and participating in the 6th Annual LNG Producers Consumer Conference.
- The visit is important to enhance the bilateral engagements in the Oil and Gas sectors within the overall framework of India-Japan Energy Dialogue.
- The LNG Producer-Consumer Conference is a global annual dialogue to promote active dialogue among LNG producers, consumers and other stakeholders with a view to deepening shared understandings of market trends and to develop a global LNG market.
Dr Kalam Sandesh Vahini Vision 2020
- The Kalam Sandesh Vahini was launched by House of Kalam and Chinmaya University. The Vahini depicts various incidents from Dr Kalam’s life as well as key highlights of India’s scientific achievements, with an aim to educate and inspire the masses. It was flagged off by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi from Rameswaram.
- Dr Kalam Sandesh Vahini bus presents the life story of Dr Kalam in a very interesting manner.
- The Vahini has travelled from Rameswaram, through various states, to finally arrive at Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to former President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam on his birth anniversary i.e on 15th October.
Filmmaker Lekh Tandon passes away
- Lekh Tandon, best known for films like Amrapali, Agar Tum Na Hote and, also television serial Dil Dariya in 1988 through which he introduced Shah Rukh Khan passed away on 15th October.
GDP may grow at 7% in FY18: NITI Aayog
- NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman Rajiv Kumar has said the economic slowdown that began in 2013-14 has bottomed out and the GDP is likely to grow at 6.9-7 % this fiscal and 7.5% in 2018-19.
- The economic growth slowed to 7.1% in 2016-17, the year in which 87% of the currency was demonetised, despite a very good show by the agricultural sector.
- The growth in the first quarter of the current fiscal(FY18) had slipped to 5.7%
Global Hand washing Day
- Global Hand washing Day takes place on 15 October of each year. The global campaign is dedicated to raising awareness of hand washing with soap as a key approach to disease prevention.
- Global Hand washing Day (GHD) is a campaign to motivate and mobilize people around the world to improve their hand washing habits by washing their hands with soap at critical moments throughout each day.
International Day of Rural Women
- The International Day of Rural Women is observed annually across the world on 15 October to recognize the critical role and contribution of rural women.
- This new international day was established by the UN General Assembly in 2007.
- Globally, women comprise 43 percent of the agricultural workforce and play a critical role in supporting the household and community food security.
- 2017 Theme: “Challenges and opportunities in climate-resilient agriculture for gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls.
- Secretary General of the United Nations – Mr Antonio Guterres of Portugal
ITBP raises maiden mechanised column
- For the first time in its over 50-year history, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) is raising and deploying a mechanised column of power vehicles and machines to quickly mobilise troops along the India-China border during Chinese military transgressions and Doklam-like standoffs.
- ITBP secures the border in peacetime and will bear the first onslaught in case of a war or a conflict.
- Till now, only the Border Security Force that guards the India-Pakistan border had an artillery unit and some mechanised components.
- Director General of ITBP--R K Pachnanda
Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF)
- The Union Cabinet has approved the implementation of an umbrella scheme for the Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) with an allocation of Rs 25,060 crore for the 2017-18 to 2019-20 period.
- The MPF scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Home Affairs in order to supplement resources of states to improve their police infrastructure.
- Funds from the MPF are typically used for construction of police stations and provision of modern weaponry, surveillance and communication equipment.
Muraleedharan and Shamsher Khan dead
- Former international C.S. Muraleedharan, a member of the Indian team which won the 4x400m relay silver at the 1989 Asian athletics championship in New Delhi, passed away.
- A National champion quartermiler, Muraleedharan was a Deputy Commandant with the Special Armed Police in Thiruvananthapuram.
- He was one of the first trainees of Dronacharya Awardee K.P. Thomas.
- Olympic swimmer Shamsher Khan, passed away. Shamsher was the first swimmer from the country to participate in the Olympics (Melbourne in 1956)
Nestle India ties up with disabled artists for festival gift packs
- Nestle India has partnered with the Indian Mouth and Foot Painting Artists Association (IMFPA) to launch exclusively crafted gift packs for its chocolate and confectionery brands.
- The Mouth and Foot Painting Artists Association (MFPA) is a registered international society for disabled artists, wholly-owned and run by the artists themselves, to meet their financial needs and has over 800 artists across 74 countries as its members globally. IMFPA, the Indian arm of the Association, currently supports 20 artists across the country.
RBI refuses to share details on clean India mission logo on new currency notes
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has refused to share details of a decision to put the logo of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's pet project 'clean India mission' on the new Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 currency notes, citing security concerns among other reasons.
- Indian bank notes contain design elements such as guilloche, flora pattern, motifs and security features
- As per Section 25 of the RBI Act, 1934, the design, form and material of bank notes shall be such as may be approved by the central government after consideration of the recommendations made by central board of the Reserve Bank of India.
RJio overtake Vodafone as second-biggest player in urban India
- Reliance Jio overtake Vodafone to become the second-biggest operator in terms of subscribers in urban areas.
- According to the data released by the TRAI, Bharti Airtel is still the top operator in urban areas with 140 million users.
- RJio has raced to 29 per cent subscriber share in the mobile Internet market as of the first quarter of FY 2017-2018, with Bharti being the only other telco to have added data subscribers in the past year.
Roger Federer cruises to Shanghai Masters title
- Roger Federer brushed aside world number one Rafael Nadal to win the Shanghai Masters and register his fourth victory of the year over his Spanish rival.
- The Swiss world number two beat Nadal in the finals of the Australian Open and Miami Masters and in the last 16 at Indian Wells earlier this year, and never looked like losing to his long-time rival in Shanghai.
- Roger Federer has also won a record eighth Wimbledon title & became the tournament’s oldest champion with a straight-sets victory over Marin Cilic. Federer claimed his 19th Grand Slam title in Wimbledon title 2017.
The book ‘Business Analytics — The Science of Data-Driven Decision Making’
- The book ‘Business Analytics — The Science of Data-Driven Decision Making’ by Prof U Dinesh Kumar was released at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIM-B).
- Dinesh Kumar is Chairperson of the Decision Sciences and Information Systems area at IIM-B and heads the Data Centre and Analytics Lab, an initiative of IIM-B to support interdisciplinary empirical research using data on primarily Indian as well as other emerging markets.