Daily Current Affairs - 18th Oct 2017
Yes Bank commits Rs 156 cr for Namami Gange project
- Private sector Yes Bank has committed Rs 156 crore to fund first Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) to be constructed at Varanasi under Hybrid Annuity-PPP Model.
- The bank has signed a deal with Essel Infraprojects for the financial closure of Rs 156 crore that will fund the STP under Namami Gange Project.
- CEO of Yes Bank----- Rana Kapoor.
2/3rds of Afghan girls do not attend school
- Two-thirds of Afghan girls do not attend school due to growing insecurity and poverty as per New York-based Human Rights Watch (HRW) organisation.
- About 85% of the 3.5 million children out of school are girls.
- Among the many barriers to girls’ education are a lack of schools and women teachers and an absence of basic facilities such as toilets.
Arun Jaitley launched gold options trading
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched gold options trading on the leading commodity bourse MCX, this is one of the steps towards formalising trade in the yellow metal.
- This is the first product for options trading that the regulator SEBI has allowed after 14 years of commencement of commodity exchanges in the country.
- The introduction of options trading on gold features is a good step as far as market prices is concerned because this will improve the options for people who want to invest in gold.
- Options are derivatives which give a buyer the right but not the obligation to buy or sell an underlying asset or instrument at a specific price on or before a certain date.
Ayurveda Day: 17 October
- The 2nd Ayurveda Day is celebrated on 17 October in New Delhi by the Ministry of AYUSH.
- Recognising the importance of global Ayurveda, the government of India is celebrating October 17 this year as National Ayurveda Day
- Ayurveda Day is based on Dhanvantari Jayanti, the birth date of Lord Dhanvantari, which occurs before two days before Badi Diwali on Dhanteras.
- Minister of AYUSH------Shripad Yasso Naik
Ban on diesel generator sets in Delhi
- Environment Pollution Control Authority has banned diesel generator sets in Delhi and ordered closure of Badarpur thermal power plant in the national capital to control air pollution in the city.
- Environment Pollution Control Authority chairman Bhure Lal and member Sunita Narain announced the decision following a review meeting in New Delhi.
Bangladesh Navy Ship Somudra Avijan on a goodwill visit to Vishakhapatnam
- Bangladesh Naval Ship Somudra Avijan arrived Vishakhapatnam on a four-day goodwill visit to the Eastern Naval Command.
- BNS Somudra Avijan, is a part of Cadet Training Squadron with 60 cadets embarked onboard sea training.
- During the stay in Vizag, a variety of activities including professional, cross deck visit, sports fixture and social interactions have been scheduled for the crew.
Chhattisgarh government has reduced the rate of interest on loan given to women and their SHG
- The Chhattisgarh government has reduced the rate of interest on loan given to women and their self help groups under 'Saksham Yojna' from 6.5 per cent to 5 per cent.
- The initiative will allow the women and SHGs to easily avail the loan facility for self-employment and thereby become self-dependent, The Chhattisgarh Mahila Kosh is operated by state's women and child development department to disburse easy term loans to women and SHGs.
China's political event, the Communist Party Congress began
- China's biggest political event, the Communist Party Congress, began in Beijing .
- The summit takes place once every five years and determines who rules the country and its direction for the next five years.
- President Xi Jinping, who became China's leader in 2012, is widely expected to remain as the Chief of the ruling Party.
George Saunders has won the 2017 Man Booker Prize.
- US author George Saunders has won the 2017 Man Booker Prize.
- He became only the second American writer to win Britain's renowned Prize, which was awarded for his first full-length novel "Lincoln in the Bardo". The prize was announced at a ceremony in London.
Government makes Revised Quality Standards for Caustic Soda mandatory
- Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri Ananth Kumar announced that Government will make revised quality standards for Caustic Soda mandatory for both domestic manufacturers as well as for imports.
- This step has been taken to give a boost to the domestic industry, under ‘Make in India’.
- The revised quality standards, would necessitate the industry to produce caustic soda using the modern and more energy efficient membrane based technology.
- Before adoption of latest energy efficient membrane cell technology, Caustic soda was produced using an outdated mercury based technology which led to ingress of mercury in the final product which could be harmful to health and environment.
India's first All India Institute of Ayurveda
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the country's first All India Institute of Ayurveda in New Delhi on the 2nd Ayurveda Day. The institute has been set up along the lines of AIIMS.
- The institute aims at integrating traditional Ayurveda with new diagnostic tools and technology.
- Currently, the institute hospital block includes neurological and degenerative disease care unit, diabetes and metabolic disorders care unit, Yoga, Panchakarma, diabetic retinopathy and infertility clinics.
- The government has allowed 100 per cent FDI in health care.
- On the occasion, the Prime Minister also gave away the Yoga Award to the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute, Pune.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty: 17 October
- The United Nations' (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 each year since 1993. It promotes people's awareness of the need to eradicate poverty and destitution worldwide, particularly in developing countries.
- The theme of 2017 IDEP is ‘Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies’.
- This year’s celebration also marks the 25th anniversary of the declaration of the day by the UN General Assembly, which had adopted the resolution on 22 December 1992.
Mahindra launches 'Prerna' project for women farmers
- Mahindra & Mahindra has launched a programme, Prerna, to empower women working in the agriculture sector by promoting efficient and ergonomic farm tools and equipment.
- The project will be initially launched in the state of Odisha, with the intention to positively impact the lives of over 1,500 families across 30-plus villages.
- The first project under Prerna is a collaboration between Mahindra & Mahindra, the Central Institution for Women in Agriculture (CIWA), a department of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
Ministry WCD launches campaign on 'women for women'
- In an attempt to end Gender bias in women against women, the Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) is undertaking an online campaign #IamThatWoman.
- Through the campaign, the Ministry seeks to highlight the various aspects of women standing 'by' and 'for' women. Ministry of WCD has urged people to shun stereotypes associated with women harming other women.
- Minister for Women and Child Development-----Smt. Maneka Sanjay Gandhi
Myntra, Textile Ministry tie-up to promote handloom industry
- E-commerce major Myntra launched its CSR initiative in association with the Union Textile Ministry,to work directly with weavers and elevate their economic stature.
- With the initiative to uplift the hand loom products in India, the company is committed itself along with some of its partner brands to bring artisans and their products online, providing them access to new customers and opportunities.
- These products will retail on Myntra via a dedicated online store, thereby creating a one-stop shop for all hand loom products.
- Minister of Textiles of India.---Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani
Odisha government has enhanced monthly remuneration of Anganwadi workers
- The Odisha government has enhanced monthly remuneration of Anganwadi workers by 50 per cent. The anganwadi workers will receive 6,000 rupees per month against 4,000 at present.
- Similarly, monthly remuneration of mini-anganwadi workers has been increased to 4,125 rupees against the existing amount of 2,750 rupees. Anganwadi helpers will receive 3,000 rupees per month against current 2,000. The decision will benefit more than 70,000 anganwadi workers of the state.
Pak, Afghanistan, Nepal among 15 nations elected to UNHRC
- Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nepal have been elected to the UN Human Rights Council along with 12 other countries.
- The other nations elected to the human rights wing of the UN are Angola, Australia, Chile, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Mexico, Nigeria, Peru, Qatar, Senegal, Slovakia, Spain, and Ukraine.
- This Human Rights Council election by the UN General Assembly was the first one conducted with new ballot papers.
- UNHRC headquarters ---Geneva, Switzerland.
Spain and Iran into the quarter-finals of the FIFA Under 17 World Cup tournament.
- Spain and Iran have joined Germany and the United States in the quarter-finals of the FIFA Under 17 World Cup tournament.
- Spain beat former champions France in Guwahati.
- Asian powerhouse Iran defeated two-time champions Mexico in Goa
- Spain will clash with Iran in the quarter-final tie at Kochi.