Daily Current Affairs - 08th Nov 2017
Controllers Conference – 2017 Begins
- Defence Accounts Department under Ministry of Defence (Finance) is organising a two-day ‘Controllers Conference – 2017’ .
- The theme of the conference is ‘Strengthening Systems and Controls: the Way Forward’. The conference will have five business sessions such as transforming audit through implementation of online audit - CICP, IMMOLS, ILMS by leveraging Big Data, transformation of payment functions, challenges in the implementation of the Integrated Financial Advisor System in defence, strategy for effective human resource management and image building by achieving zero grievance in pension through CPDS and implementation of DTS.
Direct tax collection has increased by 15.2 percent
- Direct tax collection has increased by 15.2 percent during April to October this year as compared to the corresponding period of last year. The government has collected 4.39 lakh crore rupees during the first seven months of the current fiscal.
- The collection, which includes personal income tax and corporate tax, represents 44.8 per cent of the total budget estimates in direct taxes for 2017-18.
- The gross collections have increased by 10.7 per cent to 5.28 lakh crore rupees during April- October 2017.
Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App
- Shri Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Railways & Coal has launched ‘Grahak Sadak Koyla Vitaran App’benefitting customers of Coal India Limited (CIL) lifting coal through road mode.
- This app is a step towards transparency in the system of loading programme and despatch and also helps in logistics planning for lifting of coal in tune with the loading programmes.
- The main features of the app are that it provides date-wise, truck-wise quantity of coal delivered against the Sale Orders and information related to Scheme-wise, Colliery-wise, Grade-wise, customer-wise details of Sale Orders issued during a period.
India Pavilion Launched at Cop 23
- The India Pavilion at COP 23 was inaugurated by Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Bonn in Germany.
- Indias theme for COP 23 Conserving Now, Preserving Future" takes Indias message forward.
- This year at COP 23, the India Pavilion from November 6-17, focuses on Indias positive climate actions in adaptation, mitigation, clean technology innovation and renewable energy.
- The India Pavilion at COP 21, Paris and COP 22, Marrakesh showcased climate change related activities under the themes of Climate Justice and Sustainable Lifestyles.
India to contribute USD 100 million to UN partnership fund
- India has pledged an additional USD 100 million towards the UN partnership fund, significantly scaling up its support to sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- The contribution would be in addition to India's contribution of 10.582 million US dollar to various other UN program. A total of USD 398.98 million was pledged by about 20 countries during the conference session.
- The India-UN Development Partnership Fund was set up as a partnership between India and the United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC).
Indian Railways launch main arch on world's highest bridge on Chenab
- The Indian Railways has launched the main arch of the world's highest bridge on the River Chenab in Jammu and Kashmir's Reasi district which will provide direct connectivity to the Kashmir Valley.
- The bridge forms the crucial link in the 111-km stretch between Katra and Banihal which is part of the Udhampur- Srinagar-Baramulla section of the Kashmir Railway project.
- The iconic bridge will soar 359 metres above the bed of the River Chenab and will be 30 metres higher than the iconic Eiffel Tower in Paris.
Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) strengthens its Due Diligence Framework
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) has amended its Corporate Insolvency Resolution Process Regulations to ensure that as part of due diligence, prior to approval of a Resolution Plan, the antecedents, credit worthiness and credibility of a Resolution Applicant, including promoters, are taken into account by the Committee of Creditors.
- Now prior to approval of a Resolution Plan, the Resolution Applicants, including promoters, will be put to a stringent test with respect to their credit worthiness and credibility.
- Amendments to the IBBI (Insolvency Resolution Process for Corporate Persons) Resolution Process, 2016 impose a greater responsibility on the Resolution Professionals and the Committee of Creditors in discharging their duties.
Long-range cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’ test-fired
- India conducted a flight test of its indigenously designed and developed long-range sub-sonic cruise missile ‘Nirbhay’, which can carry warheads of up to 300 kg from a test range at Chandipur along the Odisha coast.
- This was the fifth experimental test of the homegrown missile system.The test fire was carried out by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- The ’Nirbhay’ missile can travel with a turbofan or turbojet engine and is guided by a highly advanced inertial navigation system indigenously developed by the Research Centre Imarat (RCI).
M C Mary Kom entered into the final of Asian Boxing Championship
- Five-time world champion M C Mary Kom remained on course for a fifth gold medal in 48 kilogram category at the Asian Boxing Championships in Ho Chi Minh City of Vietnam .
- She made it to the final with her compatriot Sonia Lather who entered the final in the 57-kilogram category. Mary Kom, defeated Japan's Tsubasa Komura in the semi-final.
- In the final Mary Kom takes on North Korea's Kim Hyang Mi.
Narendra Modi met visiting Belgium King Philippe
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today met visiting Belgium King Philippe in New Delhi.External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj also met King Philippe, the King and Mrs Swaraj had a conversation on expanding warm and friendly bilateral relations.
- The King and Queen of Belgium had arrived on 5th of this month. The visit is aimed at strengthening the historical strong ties between the two countries. Belgium was among the first European countries to establish a diplomatic mission in India after Independence.
- India is Belgium’s second largest export destination and third largest trade partner outside EU.
NDMA conducts brainstorming session on use of UAVs in Disaster Management
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) conducted a one-day national-level brainstorming session on "Application of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) in Disaster Management".
- The event aimed to build and improve the capacity of stakeholders to use UAVs and related technologies for better disaster preparedness and response.
- UAVs can provide high-resolution, real-time images of even the inaccessible locations.
OHEPEE Project: Government inks $ 119 Million Loan Agreement with World Bank
- The Union Government has inked US$ 119 million Financing Agreement with World Bank for IBRD loan for the Odisha Higher Education Programme for Excellence & Equity (OHEPEE) Project.
- The OHEPEE Project aims is to improve the quality of ‘students’ equitable access to selected institutions and enhance governance of the higher education system in Odisha. The closing date for project is November, 2022.
SHe-Box Online Complaint Management System for working women
- WCD Minister Smt Maneka Sanjay Gandhi launched a comprehensive SHe-Box online complaint Management System for women working in both public and private organizations to lodge complaints of sexual harassment at workplace.
- The She-Box was launched in New Delhi to ensure the effective implementation of the Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act (the SH Act), 2013.
The Centre has appealed to take effective steps for mitigating the levels of air pollution
- The Centre has appealed to Delhi and adjoining states to take effective steps for mitigating the levels of air pollution in NCR and bring them to acceptable levels. It has also requested Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh governments to implement the ban related to stubble burning in view of deteriorating air pollution.
- The Supreme Court mandated Environment Pollution(Prevention and Control) Authority, EPCA, has recommended four-fold hike in parking fees to tackle the severe air quality in Delhi- NCR. It also recommended reduction of metro fares during off-peak hours for at least 10 days and introduce more coaches and frequent services.
X-ray polarisation of the Crab pulsar
- Indian scientists have performed the most sensitive measurement of X-ray polarisation of the Crab pulsar, the rotating neutron star which is the main energy source of the nebula.
- A release issued by ISRO said, the breakthrough was achieved using data from the CZT Imager instrument of the AstroSat satellite.
- The measurements have, for the first time, enabled the study of polarization at different rotation phases of the pulsar. This landmark measurement puts up a strong challenge to prevailing theories of high energy X-ray emission from pulsars.
‘Paradise Papers’ to be monitored through reconstituted Multi Agency Group
- ‘Paradise Papers’[based upon expose done by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ)] indicate that out of 180 countries represented in the data of offshore entities held by persons of different nationalities, India ranks 19 thin terms of number of names. 714 Indians reportedly appear in the tally.
- The Government has directed that investigations in cases of Paradise Papers will be monitored through a reconstituted Multi Agency Group, headed by the Chairman, CBDT Sushil Chandra.