Daily Current Affairs - 26th Nov 2017
12th meeting of Standing Committee of Inter-State Council
- The Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh chaired the 12th meeting of the Standing Committee of Inter-State Council (ISC).
- Inter State Council and the Standing Committee are important for us to promote the spirit of cooperation with greater zest and zeal.
- The subjects discussed at the meeting included : Matters related to financial transfers from the Centre to the States; Goods and Services Tax.
All India Gandhian Constructive Workers Conference
- The Vice President of India has inaugurated All India Gandhian Constructive Workers Conference organized by Harijan Sevak Sangh in Gandhi Ashram and also the Mahatma Gandhi Yoga Center.
- Gandhiji himself framed the constitution, rules and regulations of Harijan Sevak Sangh, which was founded in 1932.
- Since its inception, this organization had rendered yeoman services in promoting education among the downtrodden and in fighting against social evils like untouchability.
Axis Bank launches blockchain-based international payment service
- Private sector lender Axis Bank has launched an instant international payment services using Ripple’s enterprise blockchain technology solution for retail and corporate customers.
- Though an international offer, the bank is offering the facility only to its retail customers in the country to receive payments from the UAE-based Rak Bank and for its corporate customers to receive payments from Standard Chartered, Singapore.
Barcelona’s Lionel Messi wins fourth European Golden Shoe
- Lionel Messi drew level with Cristiano Ronaldo’s tally of four European Golden Shoes after receiving the award at a ceremony in Barcelona, Spain. The FC Barcelona superstar claimed the prize handed to Europe’s top goalscorer for his 37 LaLiga strikes in 2016-17.
- It is the fourth time Messi has taken the honours, after his successes in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
China Successfully Launches Remote Sensing Satellites
- China on Saturday successfully launched remote sensing satellites designed to conduct electromagnetic probes and other experiments.
- The satellites, were launched on a Long March-2C rocket from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwestern Sichuan province.
- The satellites were carried by a Long March-6 rocket, a new generation of liquid-fuelled carrier rocket developed by China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation.
- Constitution Day (National Law Day), also known as Samvidhan Divas, is celebrated in India on 26 November every year to commemorate the adoption of Constitution of India. On 26 November 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India, and it came into effect on 26 January 1950.
- In 2015, the government declared to celebrate November 26 as the Constitution Day. Previously, the day was being celebrated as the National Law Day.
Defence of Andaman & Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX-17)
- Defence of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Exercise (DANX) was conducted under the aegis of Andaman & Nicobar Command.
- Main objective of the exercise was to practice & validate procedures and drills of all the Command forces aimed at defending Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Accretional forces from the main land including fighters, Special Forces, Naval ships and heavy lift transport aircraft participated in the exercise.
Hong Kong Open: PV Sindhu enter into final
- Olympic silver medallist P.V. Sindhu produced a comfortable straight-game win over 2013 World Champion Ratchanok Intanon at the Hong Kong Super Series to seal a second successive final spot in Kowloon
- Sindhu, a silver medallist at World Championship, will next face top seed and World No. 1 Tai Tzu Ying, hoping to emulate Saina Nehwal and Prakash Padukone, who had clinched this title in 2010 and 1982.
INS Satpura in Brunei
- To celebrate 25 years of Indo-Asean Partnership, INS Satpura arrived at Muara Port Brunei.
- The four-day visit is aimed at strengthening bilateral ties between the two nations and was one among the on-going series of artistic, cultural and people-to-people events to celebrate this important milestone in the Indo-Asean relationship.
- The ASEAN-India Defence relationship, the foundation of which was laid during the inaugural Asean Defence Ministers’ Meeting Plus (ADMM Plus) in 2010, was also steadily deepening.
International Gita Mahotsava-2017
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the International Gita Mahotsava-2017 in Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- The objective behind Mahotsav is to spread the message of Gita to world. The second edition of the event was organised by Haryana Government.Mauritius was partner country and Uttar Pradesh was partner state of the event.
MHA conducts Multi State Mega Mock Tsunami Exercise 2017
- The Ministry of Home Affairs through National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) conducted a multi-State mega mock exercise on tsunami preparedness.
- The exercise will be simultaneously conducted in 31 coastal districts across four States - West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu - and Union Territory Puducherry along the entire East Coast. The disaster scenario will simulate tsunami waves originating due to a high-intensity earthquake near the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, which will lead to a massive tsunami along the East Coast.
Migratory Birds start Arriving in Chilika Lake
- After a long flight of thousands of miles, not often punctuated by breaks, lakhs of migratory birds have made their way to the Chilika Lake (Odisha ) , Asia’s largest brackish water lagoon. Major bird congregations were spotted in wetlands of Nalabana Bird Sanctuary inside Chilika and Mangalajodi, a major village on banks of lake.
- Migratory birds fly across continents from Caspian Sea, Baikal Lake and remote parts of Russia, Mongolia and Siberia and flock to the marshy lands of the Nalabana Bird Sanctuary inside the Chilika Lake
- The Odisha government has announced a bird festival for the first time in January, showcasing the diversity of migratory birds and their numbers.
Nitu, Sakshi in final
- Haryana’s Nitu (48kg) and Sakshi Chaudhary (54kg) won their semifinal bouts to stay in contention for gold medals in the World youth women’s boxing championship.
- Jyoti Gulia (51kg), Shashi Chopra (57kg) and Ankushita Boro (64kg) had earlier made it to the title clashes.
- India have as many as five finalists in this elite championships for the first time.
Pankaj Advani storms into pre-quarters of World Snooker Championships
- India's top cueist Pankaj Advani stamped his authority yet again as he registered a convincing victory over Brazil's Itaro Santos to storm into the pre-quarterfinals of World Snooker Championships.
- Advani will next face Pakistan's Asjad Iqbal.
PM reviews steps taken to reduce under-nutrition
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, reviewed the progress and efforts being made to prevent and reduce under-nutrition and related problems in India.
- The high level review meeting was attended by officials from PMO, NITI Aayog and other Ministries.
- Initiatives of the Union Government such as Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Mission Indradhanush, Beti Bachao - Beti Padhao, and Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana etc, are having a positive impact on nutrition.