Daily Current Affairs - 10th Dec 2017
Amitabh Kant Committee constituted to address NPAs in power sector
- The Union Government has constituted high-level committee headed by NITI Aayog Chief Executive Amitabh Kant to address problem of Non-performing assets (NPAs) or stressed assets in India’s power sector. It comprises secretaries in the ministries of power, coal and department of financial services as it members. The Government is also planning to investigate whether private developers have inflated project costs to show higher debt.
- According to second volume of Economic Survey 2016-17 released in August 2017, NPAs in power generation accounted for around 5.9% of the banking sector’s total outstanding advances of Rs. 4.73 trillion.
Bodhi Parva: BIMSTEC Festival of Buddhist Heritage
- Minister of State for Culture (Independent Charge) Dr. Mahesh Sharma has Inaugurated the ‘Bodhi Parva: BIMSTEC Festival of Buddhist Heritage in New Delhi.
- India is hosting the “Bodhi Parva: BIMSTEC Festival of Buddhist Heritage” as part of celebrations of 20th anniversary of BIMSTEC.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation involving a group of countries in South Asia and South East Asia. These are: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
FIFA Lifts Kuwait Football Ban
- The international football federation, FIFA, has lifted a two-year suspension against Kuwait’s football association that has prevented the country from participating in international tournaments.
- FIFA president Gianna Infantino confirmed the move in a video posted on the Instagram account of Kuwait’s minister of trade and industry and acting minister of youth affairs Khaled Al-Roudhan.
First SAICON 2017 held in New Delhi
- The first International Conference on Sports Medicine & Sports Sciences “SAICON 2017” was held in New Delhi. It was inaugurated by the Minister of State (I/C) Youth Affairs and Sports Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore. The 3-day conference was organized by Sports Authority of India (SAI). The theme of the conference was ‘Scoring Goals in Sports with Science and Technology’.
- The SAICON 2017 aimed at promoting scientific temperament in country and inspire students, researchers and educationists alike to take up sports science and research to next level.
Hindi writer Mamta Kalia chosen for Vyas Samman 2017
- Renowned Hindi scholar and writer Mamta Kalia (77) was chosen for Vyas Samman 2017 for her novel “Dukkham Sukkham”. She was selected by selection committee headed by author Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari. Dukkham Sukkham published in 2009 is saga of a lower middle-class familys three generations. The literary work focuses on the transition in relations and situations of our society.
- The Vyas Samman award was instituted by KK Birla Foundation in 1991. It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored and published in past 10 years by an Indian citizen. The award carries monetary award of Rs.3.5 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
India admitted as member into Wassenaar Arrangement
- Elite export control regime Wassenaar Arrangement (WA) has decided to admit India as its new member. The decision was taken at two-day plenary meeting of grouping in Vienna, Austria. India will be Arrangement’s 42nd participating state.
- The Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies, commonly known as the Wassenaar Arrangement is a multilateral export control regime (MECR). It is elite club of countries subscribing arms controls similar to Nuclear Supplier Group (NSG) and Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
India to Achieve ‘Electricity for all’ by Early 2020s: IEA
- Half a billion people have gained access to electricity in India since 2000, almost doubling the country’s electrification rate, according to the World Energy Access report released by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- This “remarkable” growth puts India on course to achieving access to electricity for all in the early 2020s, the report added. Since 2012, more than 100 million people per year have gained electricity access, an acceleration from the rate of 62 million people per year seen between 2000 and 2012.
International Conference cum Exhibition on AYUSH and Wellness
- “International Arogya 2017”, the first international conference and exhibition on AYUSH and wellness systems organized by Ministry of AYUSH, Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Pharmexcil in collaboration with FICCI concluded in New Delhi with participation of delegates from more than 70 countries and visitors from all over India.
- ‘Aroyga 2017’ is a comprehensive exhibition cum conference on Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddhha, Sowa Rigpa, Homoeopathy and wellness. More than 250 manufacturers of alternative medicine are showcasing their products and services at International Arogya 2017. The mega event has brought key stakeholders of AYUSH sector together under one roof to showcase latest research and developments in alternative medicine systems of India and boost exports of AYUSH products.
International conference on Ground water
- An International conference is organized on the Ground water issues in the country with a theme of “Ground water Vision 2030- Water Security, Challenges and Climate Change Adaptation”.
- The conference has been organized by the National Institute of Hydrology (NIH), Roorkee and Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) under the aegis of Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India.
- During the past decades, groundwater usage in the country has grown many folds and today 80% of the rural domestic needs and 65% of the irrigation water requirement and 50% of industrial and urban water needs are sourced from our ground water resources. Over exploitation of ground water has started threatening the sustenance of agricultural activities in many key regions in the country including Punjab, Bundelkhand and Rajasthan posing a grave threat to the food security in future.
Kacheguda: India’s ‘first’ energy-efficient railway station
- Kacheguda Railway Station in Hyderabad has become the first energy-efficient ‘A1 Category’ railway station in India. It falls under the Hyderabad division of the South Central Railway (SCR). Key Facts.
- Kacheguda Railway Station attained the 100% energy-efficient status by replacing 1312 conventional lights with light-emitting diode (LED) lighting.
- Kacheguda Railway station is one of the historic building in Hyderabad that has completed 100 years. It is situated in the heart of Hyderabad. It was built in 1916 by Nizam’s Guaranteed State Railway during reign of Mir Osman Ali Khan, the seventh Nizam.
Marketing Infrastructure and Petroleum Products availability in North Eastern Region
- Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas Shri Dharmendra Pradhan held a review meeting on Marketing Infrastructure and availability of Petroleum products in North Eastern Region in Guwahati.
- In the meeting, current status of availability of Petroleum products and upcoming infrastructure projects in the region were reviewed.
National Trachoma Survey Report
- Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare released the National Trachoma Survey Report (2014-17).
- He declared thatIndia is now free from ‘infective trachoma’, and termed this as a momentous achievement. Shri J P Nadda stated that the survey findings indicate that the active trachoma infection has been eliminated among children in all the survey districts with overall prevalence of only 0.7%.
- The Survey results indicate that active trachoma is no longer a public health problem in India. We have met the goal of trachoma elimination as specified by the WHO under its GET2020 program.
Public Procurement Portal for MSEs - MSME Sambandh
- A Public Procurement Portal ‘MSME Sambandh’ was launched by Shri Giriraj Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for MSME.
- The objective of the portal is to monitor the implementation of the Public Procurement from MSEs by Central Public Sector Enterprises.
- The Procurement Policy launched in 2012 mandates the Central Government Departments / CPSUs to procure necessarily from MSEs i.e. every Central Ministry / Department / PSU shall set an annual goal for procurement from the MSE sector at the beginning of the year, with the objective of achieving an overall procurement goal of minimum of 20 per cent of the total annual purchases of the products or services produced or rendered by MSEs. By creating an online portal, the Ministries and the CPSEs can assess their performance.
Sarvesh Tiwari Appointed as President Para Sports Foundation
- On the occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities, a renowned communication expert, Sarvesh Kumar Tiwari, was appointed as the President of Para-Sports Foundation (PSF), India.
- The announcement was made at the National Award for Divyangjan 2017 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. Para Sports Foundation is a non-profit organization working towards the social welfare of persons with disabilities.
- Para Sports Foundation is a non-profit organization working towards the social welfare of persons with disabilities. It has been actively involved in organizing various tournaments and championships for the para-athletes. The PSF is founded by Pradeep Raj, an international athlete with a disability and a national youth awardee from the President of India.
Uttar Pradesh first State to endorse Centre’s triple talaq draft bill
- Uttar Pradesh became first state to endorse Union Government’s draft draft law — Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act that makes practice of instant “triple talaq” or talaq-e-biddat. a cognisable and non-bailable criminal offence. The draft law was endorsed by the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
- It makes any declaration of talaq-e-biddat or triple talaq by Muslim man illegal and void. It makes it a “cognizable and non-bailable” offence, punishable with three years jail and a monetary fine. It applies to instant triple talaq in “oral, written, electronic or any other form”.