Daily Current Affairs - 04th Feb 2018
1st Ever International Kala Mela Inaugurated In New Delhi
- The First ever International Kala Mela was inaugurated by the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi.
- The International Kala Mela has been organised by the Lalit Kala Akademi in partnership with IGNCA of the Ministry of Culture. More than 800 artists from across the world took part in the Festival.
- The Minister of State for Culture (I/C) and Environment, Forest & Climate Change--- Dr. Mahesh Sharma.
32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela held in Haryana
- The 32nd edition of Surajkund International Crafts Mela was held at Faridabad, Haryana. It was formally inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in the presence of Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar. It is annual cultural festival hosted since 1987 to showcase richness and diversity of the handicrafts and cultural heritage of India. This year Uttar Pradesh is the theme state and Kyrgyzstan is the partner nation.
- 29 countries took part in this edition of Mela. It also showcased religious tourism circuit — such as Ayodhya, Kashi, Mathura apart from the art, culture, and heritage of UP.
- The Mela is organized every year by Surajkund Mela Authority and Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs Ministry. The 15-day festival showcases richness and diversity of handicrafts, hand looms and cultural heritage of the country.
A 1500-kilometre pipeline to be laid from Guwahati to Tinsukia to supply gas to the Northeastern States
- Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has said that a 1500-kilometre gas pipeline will be laid at an estimated cost of 6000 crore rupees stretching from Guwahati to Tinsukia via Numaligarh to supply gas to the North East states.
- He said, five major oil and natural gas PSUs - ONGC, Oil India Limited, Indian Oil Corporation, Numaligarh Refinery Limited and GAIL - will set up a joint company for this.
- He said that the people of Assam complained that the benefit of oil and gas found in the state did not reach them. So, the Centre has decided to change the scenario with the cooperation of the state government.
Bangladesh appoints Syed Mahmud Hossain as new chief justice
- The President of Bangladesh, Abdul Hamid appointed Syed Mahmud Hossain as the new Chief Justice of the country.
- Justice Hossain is the 22nd chief justice of Bangladesh. President administered the oath of office to Justice Hossain.
- Justice Hossain visited the courts of Canada and the United States in 2012 under the Judicial Strengthening (JUST) Project supported by the United Nations Development Programme to share his experience and exchange views with judges of those countries for improving justice delivery system.
- Justice Hossain also participated in various international seminars and symposiums in Malaysia, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, India, South Korea and Hong Kong.
CRISIL, SIDBI Launch India’s First MSE Sentiment Index
- The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Mr Arun Jaitley launched CriSidEx , India’s first sentiment index for micro and small enterprises ( MSEs) developed jointly by CRISIL & SIDBI.
- CriSidEx is a composite index based on a diffusion index of 8 parameters and measures MSE business sentiment on a scale of 0 (extremely negative ) to 200 ( extremely positive). CriSidEx will have 2 indices , one for the ‘survey quarter’ and another for the ‘next quarter’ once a trend emerges after few rounds of the survey , providing independent time series data.
Floating Treatment Wetland launched to purify Neknampur Lake in Hyderabad
- The Floating Treatment Wetland (FTW) was inaugurated in Neknampur Lake in Hyderabad to clean and purify the polluted waterbody. Plants planted on FTW can clean the lake by absorbing nitrates and other pollutants in the water.
- FTW is joint effort of NGO Dhruvansh, Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA), district administration and other organisations. FTW’s working is based on soil-less hydroponics technique. Hydroponics permits plants to grow only on sunlight and water. There is no need of soil.
- Micro-organisms growing on FTW and plant root systems of cleaning agents break down and consume organic matter in water through microbial decomposition. The root systems filter out sediments and pollutants, reduce content of these chemicals from water body.
India contributes $1 mn to UN Development Partnership Fund
- India has contributed additional $1 million to India-UN Development Partnership Fund, earmarked for South-South cooperation. The contribution aims to intensify its partnerships with other developing countries in south.
- India has pledged multi year contribution of $100 million to the fund established in June 2017. India has already provided $6 million within the seven months since launch of fund.
- The fund was set up on 9 June 2017 on occasion of the World Oceans Day as a partnership between India and United Nations Office for South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC). It will be utilized to carry out country-level projects that would be catalytic towards achieving 17 sustainable development goals (SDGs) of 2030 Agenda.
- The UNOSSC was established with an objective to promote, coordinate and support South-South and triangular cooperation across world within the UN system. In 2012, the special unit was given name UNOSSC by the UNGA through a resolution. UNOSSC receives policy directives and guidance from the UNGA.
India Lifts U-19 World Cup 2018
- India has defeated Australia to lift the Under 19 World cup for the fourth time. The Men in Blue defeated the three-time champions Australia at Bay Oval, New Zealand.
- The Australian team had set the target of 217 runs and was chased down easily by India. Manjot Kalra was the Hero of the match with his brilliant century. India was the earlier winner in 2000, 2008 and 2012.
- Man of the Match--- Manjot Kalra
- Player of the Tournament----Shubman Gill
- Highest wicket Taker-------Anukul Roy
International Conference on 'DemetriosGalanos and His Legacy’begins in New Delhi
- The International Conference on 'DemetriosGalanos and His Legacy’ was inaugurated at IGNCA in New Delhi. The Ambassador of Greece to India, H.E MrPanasKalogoripoulos, Sanskrit Scholar, Shri SatyavratShastri, IGNCA Trustee, Shri Bharat Gupt and Member Secretary,Shri Sachchidanand Joshi were present at the inaugural session of the conference.
- Indira GandhiNational Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) is organizing the 8-days International Conference on, 'DemetriosGalanos and His Legacy'. The 8-day long convention is being held in Delhi and Varanasi, in addition to organizing the exhibition and folk music of Greece.
Jammu and Kashmir Assembly passes 96 thousand crore budget for 2018-19
- The Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly passed 96 thousand crore rupees budget for 2018-19 with 20 per cent rise in the budget size over the current fiscal.
- The appropriation bill moved by the Finance Minister Haseeb Drabu in the house was passed with voice-vote.
- For the first time in state’s legislative history, the finance minister has linked the appropriation bill with wide-ranging expenditure reforms. The objective is to ensure checks and balances for efficient fiscal management and speed up spending to make productive use of resources for larger public good.
Maharashtra Government Approves New Wildlife Sanctuary At Ghodazari
- The Maharashtra Government has approved Ghodazari in Chandrapur district as new wildlife sanctuary in the state. The decision was taken at 13th meeting of Maharashtra State Board for Wildlife (SBWL), chaired by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis. The formation of this wildlife sanctuary will help provide employment opportunities to the youths from 59 villages on the fringes.
- The area in the sacncutary is also important corridor for wild animals moving from Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve to Umrer-Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary and vice versa.
N Chandrasekaran Task force constituted to study AI application in military
- The Ministry of Defence (Department of Defence Production) constituted a 17 member task force headed by Tata Sons Chairman N Chandrasekaran to study theuse and application of artificial intelligence (AI) in military. The task force will study the whole gamut of issues surrounding strategic implications of AI in national security perspective, in global context.
- The task force comprises National Cyber Security Coordinator Gulshan Rai, representatives from Indian Army, Navy and Airforce, chairman of Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL), representatives from ISRO, Atomic Energy Commission and Defence Ministry. It also includes representation from academic institutes such as IISc-Bengaluru, and IIT Mumbai and Chennai.
- AI is branch of computer science concerned with making computers behave like humans. In contrast to normal hardware and software, AI enables a machine to perceive and respond to its changing environment.
PM Modi Inaugurates Global Investment Summit in Assam
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the two-day Global Investment Summit in Guwahati, a first of its kind initiative in the northeast.
- The summit hosted by the Assam government is a new beginning and will open a new chapter in boosting the relationship with ASEAN countries. The MoUs were signed by hundreds of industry leaders for investment in the state.
- The summit likely to see the participation of over 5,000 delegates from across the world, including ASEAN countries. Business seminars on 12 focus sectors will be held on including Agriculture and Food Processing - Organic Cultivation and Bamboo, Handloom, Textile and Handicrafts, Logistics, River Transport and Port Township, IT and ITeS, Pharmaceutical and Medical Equipment, Plastics and Petrochemicals, Power, Tourism, Hospitality and Wellness, Civil Aviation, Petroleum and Natural Gas and Startups Innovation.
Shabnam Asthana Wins Times Power Woman 2017 Award
- Shabnam Asthana was awarded the 'Times Power Women of the Year 2017' Pune for Global PR. The Times Group celebrated the invaluable contribution of women by introducing The Times Power Woman 2017 (Pune) awards.
- These awards focused on the women of Pune and the prestigious list included 34 select women with power, supremacy, command and control. The award was conferred on her by Dilip Kamble, Minister of State for Social Justice and Special Assistance in the Government of Maharashtra.
Shyam Benegal Awarded V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award
- Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) committee has decided to bestow V. Shantaram lifetime achievement Award to veteran film producer and director Shyam Benegal.
- He will be awarded a trophy, cash price of 10 lakh rupees, a certificate and a shawl by Governor of Maharashtra C. Vidyasagar Rao. Benegal has been selected for his contribution to the promotion of the documentary movement.
- Benegal's name was selected unanimously by an independent committee comprising Kiran Shantaram, Rahul Rawail, Prasoon Joshi, Bharati Pradhan and Vinod Anupam, in view of his significant contribution to the growth and sustenance of the documentary movement in India.
UK allows doctors to create three-parent babies through mitochondrial donation
- Doctors in Newcastle,UK have been granted permission to create Britain’s first “three-person babies” for two women who are at risk of passing on devastating and incurable genetic diseases to their children.
- Britain’s fertility regulator Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority (HFEA) has allowed doctors to create country’s first ‘three-parent’ babies through mitochondrial donation therapy(or MRT). It will create first three parent baby in UK within a year.
- Benefts of MRT
- 1.It will prevent transmission of mitochondrial (genetic) disease from one generation to the next.
- 2.It will give parents chance of having a child that is over 99% genetically matched to them and most importantly free of the mitochondrial disease.
- 3.It has no impact on personality or looks of the offspring from third DNA set, as surrogate mitochondrial DNA is separate from core DNA in cells.
World Cancer Day: 04th February
- World Cancer Day is an international day marked on February 4 to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment. World Cancer Day was founded by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to support the goals of the World Cancer Declaration, written in 2008. The primary goal of the World Cancer Day is to significantly reduce illness and death caused by cancer by 2020.
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated a medical camp at Swarna Bharat Trust, Atkur in Andhra Pradesh organised on the occasion of World Cancer Day.