Daily Current Affairs - 07th Mar 2018
Animal Welfare Board of India headquarters shifted from Chennai to Ballabhgarh
- Government has shifted headquarters of Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) to Ballabhgarh in Faridabad District of Haryana from Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It was shifted after consultation with AWBI for better coordination between the Environment Ministry and AWBI for carrying out the animal welfare activities.
- AWBI is a statutory advisory body established in 1962 under Section 4 of The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. It frames a range of rules on how animals ought to be humanely treated everywhere. It has also frequently litigated to have stricter laws to ensure animals were not unduly harassed or tortured.
- Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change –--–-Harsh Vardhan
Biplab Kumar Deb to be next Tripura chief minister
- The Bharatiya Janata Party has named the party' State president Biplab Kumar Deb as the chief ministerial candidate for Tripura. He will replace Manik Sarkar. Jishnu Devvarma has been named for Deputy Chief Minister.
- In Assembly election results announced, the BJP routed the CPM, which had been in power in Tripura for as long as 25 years.
Conrad Sangma takes oath as Meghalaya’s 12th CM
- National People’s Party President Conrad Sangma takes oath as the Chief Minister of Meghalaya. Mr Sangma was invited by Governor Ganga Prasad to form the government after he staked the claim with the support of 34 MLAs in 60-member Assembly. Mr Sangma was the state's youngest Finance Minister in 2008.
- Meghalaya threw up a fractured mandate recently. The Congress, which has been in power in the state for the last 10 years, has won 21 seats.
- Conrad Sangma is currently Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha from Tura Parliamentary constituency.
- Meghalaya Capital---------Shillong
Forbes billionaires list 2018: Amazon's Bezos richest, Mukesh Ambani ranked 19
- With a fortune worth $110 billion, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is the world's richest man and tops a 2018 Forbes Magazine list of billionaires. According to the Forbes, Bezos is the first person to top $100 billion as number one on the Forbes list of the World's Billionaires.
- Philanthopist and Microsoft founder Bill Gates is second ($90 billion), investment guru Warren Buffet third ($84 billion), Bernard Arnault and family fourth ($72 billion), and Facebook founder-CEO Mark Zuckerberg fifth ($71 billion).US President Donald Trump is valued at $3.1 billion.
- Indian industry titan Mukesh Ambani, the chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, is 19th on the list. He's valued at $40.1 billion.
Gary Cohn resigns as Trump's top economic advisor
- White House chief economic advisor Gary Cohn has resigned from President Donald Trump's administration.
- The former Goldman Sachs president and free trade advocate Cohn, whose departure date will come in a few weeks, decided to quit after Trump announced he would impose stiff tariffs on steel and aluminum imports.
- At a meeting with steel and aluminum executives where Trump announced the move, Cohn argued against it, warning about price increases for steel and aluminum products.
- His departure as National Economic Council director leaves the White House without a financial heavyweight that business executives and foreign leaders believed had served as a counter to Trump's protectionist impulses and as a moderating force in other areas.
India lost the opening T20 match of the Nidahas Trophy against Sri Lanka by five wickets in Colombo.
- Riding on Kusal Perera's blazing 66 off 37 balls, the hosts successfully chased the target of 175 with 9 balls to spare.
- Earlier, after losing two early wickets cheaply, Indian innings was repaired by a 95 runs partnership between Shikhar Dhawan and Manish Pandey to pile up a challenging total of 174. Dhawan made 90 off 49 balls while Pandey added 37.
India ranked fourth most-powerful military in the world
- India’s military is placed fourth on a global index that has ranked 133 countries on the basis of their global military prowess, trailing behind only the US, Russia and China in that order. India’s western neighbour Pakistan ranks 13 on the Global Firepower (GFP) list 2017.
- India maintained its position above France in the top five military powers in the world. The Indian Army is equipped with 4,426 combat tanks, 6,704 armoured fighting vehicles, and 7,414 towed artillery guns, as per the list.
- Major military powers, France, the UK, Japan, Turkey and Germany, complete the top 10.
- Top 5 countries in the list are-
- 1.The USA
India saw a sharp decline of 20 per cent in child marriages
- India saw a sharp decline of 20 per cent in child marriages in the last decade. The United Nations children's agency UNICEF said that as against 47 per cent of girls getting married before the age of 18, a decade ago, 27 per cent underage girls are getting married, now. The drop in India has contributed significantly to a global decline in child marriages. Overall, the proportion of girls who were married as children decreased by 15 per over the last decade.
- The UNICEF says, 25 million child marriages were prevented globally in the decade of 2005-06 to 2015-16. The largest reduction by more than a third was seen in South Asia with India being at the forefront. The UN children's agency attributed the improvement to increased rate of girls’ education, proactive government investments in adolescent girls, and strong public awareness about the illegality of child marriage and the harm it causes.
- UNICEF’s Principal Gender Advisor, Anju Malhotra, said each and every child marriage prevented gives another girl the chance to fulfill her potential and that's why any reduction is a welcome news.
India to join multilateral lender EBRD
- India has got the go-ahead to join the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), after shareholders of the London-based multilateral lender agreed to the country becoming its 69th member, enabling Indian companies to undertake joint investments in regions in which the EBRD operates.
- Set up in 1991, based on a proposal by former French President Francois Mitterand, the bank’s initial focus was helping central and Eastern European nations reconstruct their economies in the post-Cold War era.
- It remains committed to furthering the development of “market-orientated economies and the promotion of private and entrepreneurial initiative.” Other members who receive investments include Mongolia, Turkey, Egypt, Cyprus, Greece and Lebanon, among a total of 38 member states. Others including China, Russia, the U.S., U.K., and France are stakeholders, whose companies are able to invest in EBRD projects, but do not receive financing for domestic projects.
International Yoga festival held in Rishikesh
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the week-long 29th annual, world-famous International Yoga Festival (IYF) international yoga festival in Rishikesh's Parmarth Niketan.
- The International Yoga Festival is a truly globally-unique event bringing together so many masters from so many traditions, cultures and countries in one sacred, beautiful place.
ISSF shooting World Cup
- In the ISSF shooting World Cup, teen sensation Manu Bhaker partnering with Om Prakash Mitharval bagged Gold for India in the 10 metre Air Pistol Mixed team event. Their feat helped India to consolidate its position at the top of the medals tally with three gold.
- India also claimed a Bronze, its sixth medal of the competition, through the pair of Deepak Kumar and Mehuli Ghosh in the 10 metre Air Rifle Mixed Team event. India's medal count currently stands at seven with 3 Gold and 4 Bronze.
MS Dhoni Becomes Brand Ambassador of Gaming Platform
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has become a brand ambassador of gaming platform Dream11.
- He would be the new face of the gaming platform's multi-channel marketing campaigns and brand engagement activities. Currently, the gaming platform has a user base of 2 crore sports fans playing "fantasy cricket, football, kabaddi and NBA".
- India loses opening match against Sri Lanka by five wickets in Colombo
Neiphiu Rio appointed Nagaland CM
- Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leader Neiphiu Rio was appointed the new Chief Minister of Nagaland.
- Rio was appointed by Nagaland Governor P. B. Acharya under clause (1) of Article 164 of the Constitution of India. Mr Rio will replace TR Zeliang. The Governor has received letters of support in favour of Rio from MLAs of BJP, JD (U) and an Independent besides NDPP legislators.
- The BJP won 11 seats, NDPP 16 seats, NDF 27 seats and others four seats in the election, paving way for the Rio-led party to form the next government in India's oldest insurgency-hit state.
- Neiphiu Rio is currently Member of Parliament, Lok Sabha from Northern Angami-II Parliamentary constituency.
- Nagaland Capital-----------------Kohima
NFRA to have power to impose penalty on audit firms
- The Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 (Act) provides for imposition of penalties on members of the Institute of Charted Accountants of India (ICAI).
- The ICAI had submitted a proposal to the Government for amendment to the Act to, inter alia, provide for registration of audit firms, procedure for taking necessary disciplinary action against audit firms (on the lines of such procedure for individual members) and imposition of penalties on audit firms.
- Section 132 of the Companies Act, 2013 provides for constitution of the National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA) and sub- section (4) thereof confers powers on NFRA, for imposition of penalties on audit firms.
ONGC Videsh, Iran’s IDRO Oil sign accord
- ONGC Videsh, the overseas arm of government-owned ONGC, has signed a cooperation agreement with Iran’s IDRO Oil to jointly bid for a $900 million development plan of Susangerd oilfield in southwest Iran.
- The Susangerd field, discovered in 2009, is estimated to hold more than 5 billion barrels of in-place reserves.
- IDRO Oil, Russia’s Zarubezhneft and ONGC Videsh will now set up a joint working group “as soon as possible” and once they reach a final agreement, they would begin negotiations with National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) for a contract.
Shri Nitin Gadkari to launch Sukhad Yatra App and Toll-free Emergency number for Highway users
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari will launch a mobile App and Toll-free Emergency number for Highway users.
- Sukhad Yatra mobile application has been prepared by National Highways Authority of India, NHAI, to empower the Highway user. The key feature of the app includes provision for the user to enter road quality-related information or to report any accident or pothole on the highway. It also provides users with real-time data related to waiting time expected at Plazas and various facilities like points of interest, highway nest/nest mini, etc., available across the highway. The app can also be used by the users to purchase the FASTag tag and further facilitate the highway user experience.
- A toll-free number, 1033, will enable users to report an emergency condition, or highway-related feedback, across the highway. The service has also integrated with various ambulance/tow away services along the road to ensure rapid response time in emergency. The service is supported by a multi-lingual support and user location tracking features to provide the user with accurate and responsive complaint resolution.
Smriti Irani inaugurates FICCI Frames 2018 in Mumbai
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the 'FICCI Frames 2018' organized by the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). She has also released the FICCI-EY Media & Entertainment Report 2018 named 'Re-imagining India's M&E Sector'.
- As per the report, the Indian M&E sector hit Rs 1.5 trillion ($22.7 billion) in 2017, growth of around 13% over 2016. With its current trajectpory, it is expected to cross Rs 2 trillion ($31 billion) by 2020, at a CAGR of 11.6%
Sri Lanka Declares Emergency For 10 Days
- Sri Lanka declared a nationwide state of emergency for 10 days to stop the spread of communal violence, after clashes erupted between majority Buddhists and members of the minority Muslim community.
- Tension has been growing between the two communities in Sri Lanka over the past year, with some hardline Buddhist groups accusing Muslims of forcing people to convert to Islam and vandalising Buddhist archaeological sites.
- Some Buddhist nationalist have also protested against the presence in Sri Lanka of Muslim Rohingya asylum-seekers from mostly Buddhist Myanmar, where Buddhist nationalism has also been on the rise.
Veteran Actor Shammi Passes Away
- Veteran Bollywood and television actress Shammi passed away at the age of 89.
- The star, who was popular for her comic roles, had appeared in over 200 films that included ‘Coolie No 1’, ‘Hum’, ‘Gopi Kishan’, ‘Hum Saath-Saath Hain’ over her long film career. She also had an illustrious career on television and starred in a number of shows on Doordarshan.