Daily Current Affairs - 01st May 2018
15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to be held in Varanasi in January 2019
- The 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas will be held in holy city if Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh) from January 21 to January 23, 2019. Its theme will be “Role of Indian Diaspora in building a New India”. The mega event will be organised by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in association with Uttar Pradesh government.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated every year in India on 9 January. The day also commemorates return of father of nation Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa in Mumbai (then Bombay) on January 9, 1915.
Awards: Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards 2018
- Bollywood actors Bhumi Pednekar, Sonam Kapoor and Akshay Kumar bagged the best actress, Best actress in a Leading Role and best actor awards respectively at the Dadasaheb Phalke awards, given by Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation, held in Mumbai.
- Manisha Koirala won the ‘Most Versatile Actress’ award.
- Veteran actor-director Rakesh Roshan was given the lifetime achievement award for his contribution to the industry as an actor, producer and a director.
- Veteran actor Farida Jalal was honoured with the Saraswatibai Dadasaheb Phalke Best Actress (Lifetime) award.
Government launches Pilot scheme Procurement of Aggregate Power of 2500 MW for 3 years
- Ministry of Power has launched Pilot Scheme for Procurement of Aggregate Power of 2500 MW on competitive basis for 3 years. The main purpose of scheme is to revive commissioned power plants which are unable to sell electricity in absence of valid power purchase agreements (PPAs).
- Under this scheme, these plants will be allowed to bid for power supply.
- The scheme will help nearly 12 GW commissioned thermal power plants get medium-term power purchase agreement (PPA) which is pre-requisite for getting coal linkage.
Important Days - International Labour Day: 01 May
- International Labour Day is also known as International Worker's Day, Labour Day and May Day. It is celebrated across the world on 1st May to promote and encourage the international labour associations.
- The theme of International Labour Day 2018 is “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement”.
India joint 6th in list of doping violations in WADA report
- India maintained their dubious record of being among top 10 nations with regards to doping violations being joint sixth as World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) published its report as per samples collected in 2016.
- In the latest report, India have 69 Anti-Doping Rule Violations (ADRV), the same as that of Russia, a country which has been under intense international scrutiny for years now.
- Italy topped the rankings of drug cases in 2016, accounting for 147 ADRVs, followed by France (86), United States (76), Australia (75), Belgium (73). Brazil and Iran are at joint eighth with 55 ADRVs while South Africa is at 10th with 50.
India projected to be 2nd fastest growing nation for passenger traffic: ACI
- India has been projected to be the second fastest growing country in the world for passenger traffic by the Airports Council International (ACI) in its traffic forecasts between 2017-40.
- The AIC, a global trade body representing airports across the globe, has put Vietnam at the top position with an 8.5 per cent growth rate, followed by India at 7.5 per cent and Iran at 7.3 per cent.
International - Harimau Shakti 2018: India and Malaysia joint military exercise begins
- The first ever bilateral joint military training exercise HARIMAU SHAKTI 2018 between India and Malaysia began in dense forests of Sengai Perdik, Hulu Langat, Malaysia. The exercise aims at bolstering cooperation and coordination between armed forces of both nations.
- This is for first time joint training exercise of this magnitude between Indian and Malaysia is being held on Malaysian soil.
International Buddhist Conference held in Lumbini, Nepal
- International Buddhist Conference was held in Lumbini, Nepal to commemorate 2562nd Buddha Jayanti. The theme of the conference was ‘Lumbini Nepal: The birthplace of Lord Buddha and the fountain of Buddhism and world peace’.
- Lumbini is birth place of Gautama Buddha, founder of Buddhist religion. Lord Buddha was born in sacred garden of Lumbini during 6th century BC and had attained enlightenment in Bodh Gaya, (now in Bihar, India) and gave his first sermon in Sarnath and died in Kushinagar.
National: Kavinder Gupta Takes Oath As J&K Deputy CM
- Jammu and Kashmir Assembly speaker Kavinder Gupta and seven others were sworn in as ministers in the state's PDP-BJP government led by Mehbooba Mufti.
- Gupta will be the new deputy chief minister in place of Nirmal Singh.
- Jammu and Kashmir CM: Mehbooba Mufti
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor: N. N. Vohra
Paytm Introduces 'Tap Card' Offline Payments Solution
- One97 Communications Limited, the owner of digital payment major, Paytm, announced the launch of its offline payments solution - the Paytm Tap Card, in line with the company's vision to provide seamless payments solutions for non-internet customers.
- This card uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to enable safe and convenient digital payments, completely offline at Paytm-issued, NFC PoS terminals, in under a second. To make payments, users can add money from their Paytm account by scanning the QR code on the Tap Card and by authenticating it at any of the add value machines (AVM).
- Paytm founder: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Peace Mission: India, Pakistan for first time to participate together in SCO counter-terror exercise
- For first time, arch rivals India and Pakistan are taking part in Peace Mission, a multi-nation counter-terror exercise in Russia to be held in September 2018. The military exercise is going to take place under the framework of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
- Peace Mission counter-terror military exercise will be held in the Ural Mountains of Russia and almost all SCO member countries are taking part in it.
- SCO is political and security grouping headquartered in Beijing. It was founded in 2001.
PHDCCI, Indian Yoga Assn sign MoU to promote tourism in Krishna Circuit
- The PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) and the Indian Yoga Association (IYA) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to facilitate interaction and cooperation between the two organizations to promote wellness, spiritual and cultural tourism in the Krishna Circuit.
- Under this MoU, PHDCCI and IYA have joined hands to provide holistic tourism experience to domestic and international travellers looking for some spiritually invigorating and cultural experiences.
- Government is trying to promote Krishna circuit as major tourist attraction under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. It is named after Lord Krishna and is centered on him.
Sajid Javid is new Home Minister of Britain
- A South Asian will head Britain’s Home Office for the first time. Sajid Javid, who emigrated to Britain from Pakistan, is a former banker and MD at Deutsche Bank, who became an MP in 2009 and a Cabinet Minister in 2014.
- He has been Britain’s Minister in charge of Communities and local government since 2016. He is also the first South Asian to head one of the “Great Offices of State”, the name given to the four most senior positions in the government (also including Prime Minister, head of the Treasury and head of the Foreign office).
Sikkim’s Pawan Chamling becomes India’s longest-serving Chief Minister
- Sikkim’s Pawan Chamling (68) created history by becoming longest-serving Chief Minister in India. He has completed 23 years, four months and 17 days of uninterrupted service in office. He surpassed earlier record held by Jyoti Basu, 5-term West Bengal CM who held office for 23 years.
- He formed Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) in 1993. He was sworn in as chief minister of Sikkim for the first time on December 12, 1994 and now has been in office for fifth consecutive term.
Sports: Barcelona Clinch 25th La Liga Title Without Losing a Single Game
- Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Lionel Messi netted a hat-trick as Barcelona defeated Deportivo to clinch the La Liga for the seventh time in 10 years and the 25th time in their history.
- Barcelona also extended their league record unbeaten streak to 34 matches. Barcelona has 86 points after 34 matches and are 15 points ahead of third-placed Real Madrid.
Swachh Bharat Mission launches GOBAR-DHAN to promote wealth and energy from waste
- Union Minister for Drinking Water and Sanitation, Sushri Uma Bharti, today launched the GOBAR (Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources - DHAN scheme at the National Dairy Research Institute (NDRI) Auditorium, Karnal, Haryana.
- The scheme aims to positively impact village cleanliness and generate wealth and energy from cattle and organic waste. The scheme also aims at creating new rural livelihood opportunities and enhancing income for farmers and other rural people.
- The Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin) comprises two main components for creating clean villages – creating open defecation free (ODF) villages and managing solid and liquid waste in villages.
Uday Kotak redesignated as MD & CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank
- The board of directors of Kotak Mahindra Bank has redesignated Uday Kotak as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer with effect from 1 May, 2018. Mr. Kotak was earlier executive Vice Chairman and Managing Director.
- Mr. Kotak was the only official among private banks to have a Vice Chairman designation. All others have MD & CEO designation.
- In 2015, when IDFC Bank, while commencing the operations, also proposed Rajiv Lall as Vice Chairman and Managing Director. However, later it was changed to MD & CEO as desired by Reserve Bank of India.