Daily Current Affairs - 09th Jun 2018
All NRI marriages to be registered within 48 hours
- As notified by Union Minister of Women and Child Development (WCD) all NRI marriages solemnised in India would have to be registered within 48 hours.
- As of now, there is no time frame to register marriages in India.
COAI appoints Vodafone CEO Sunil Sood as Chairman
- Telecom industry body COAI notified that it has appointed Vodafone MD and Chief Executive Officer Sunil Sood as its new Chairman and Bharti Airtel COO Ajai Puri as vice-chairman.
Govt Task Force on Shell Companies deregisters over 2 lakh 26 Thousand companies in 2017-18 for non-filing of annual returns
- Government Task Force on shell companies have identified and removed the names of over 2 lakh 26 thousand firms from the register of companies in the Financial Year 2017-18.
- In a statement, Finance Ministry said, these companies have not filed their annual returns for a continuous period of two or more financial years. Over three lakh directors were also disqualified for non-filing of Financial Statements or Annual Returns.
IBC Ordinance bars kin from bidding for insolvent companies
- All members of the family of a defaulting promoter, including the extended one — spouse, children, would now be barred from bidding for insolvent companies. These cover both the paternal and maternal sides.
- Directors of companies and those who own more than 2 per cent stake in the defaulting company will also be treated as a related party.
India hosted 11th edition of Geo Intelligence Asia
- The eleventh edition of Geo-Intelligence Asia 2018 was held at Manekshaw Centre in New Delhi.
- The annual event was organised by GeoSpatial Media and Communication in collaboration with Directorate General of Information System as Knowledge Partners and Military Survey as co-organisers.
- The seminar brought together military, security officials including BSF and police forces, government and industry together to assess the latest technology solutions and discuss and deliberate on the critical role of geospatial technology for safety and security.
India’s FDI outflow more than doubled, FDI inflows fell 9% in 2017: UNCTAD
- India’s foreign direct investment (FDI) outflows more than doubled in 2017 to $11.3 billion while FDI inflows fell 9% to $40 billion during the year, according to the latest World Investment Report, 2018, released by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Investment (UNCTAD).
Intercontinental Cup: India lose last group game to New Zealand
- India suffered a 1-2 defeat at the hands of New Zealand in their final league match of the Intercontinental Cup tournament in Mumbai.
- With six points from two earlier games, the Indian team still hold a chance to enter the final.
RBI amends Gold Monetisation Scheme to make it more attractive
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made changes in the Gold Monetisation Scheme (GMS) of 2015 to enable people to open a hassle-free gold deposit account.
- The RBI informed that the short-term deposits should be treated as bank's on-balance sheet liability.
- It further said that these deposits will be made with the designated banks for a short period of 1-3 years (with a facility of rollover). While deposits can also be allowed for broken periods (e.g. 1 year 3 months; 2 years 4 months 5 days or other.
RBI says, short-term subsidised crop loan to be implemented through direct benefit transfer mode
- The Reserve Bank has said that interest subsidy scheme on short-term crop loans of up to three lakh rupees will be implemented through the direct benefit transfer mode from the current financial year.
- A RBI notification said the Centre has earmarked 15,000 crore rupees for 2018-19 towards interest subvention for short-term crop loans.
- As per the scheme, farmers can avail of short-term crop loans of up to three lakh rupees at subsidised interest rate of seven percent that could go down to four percent on prompt repayment.
Sarita Nayyar appointed to WEF Managing Board
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) said it has appointed Sarita Nayyar to its Managing Board.
- In addition to her role as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) for the World Economic Forum LLC, Nayyar will help lead the international expansion of the Forum’s centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution Network.
- She will also lead the Forum’s international expansion with new centres opening in India, Japan and China.
Sports ministry approves upward revision of pension to meritorious Sports persons
- In a major step for the welfare of Sportspersons, Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Col Rajyavardhan Rathore has approved the upward revision of pension to meritorious Sports persons.
- Under the revision, the rate of pension has been doubled of the existing rate of pension on winning medals in international sports events.
- As per the revised scheme, the sports-person should retire from active sports career and attaining the age of 30 years at the time of applying pension.
UNSC appeals for unhindered access for Somalia aid
- United Nations Security Council has called for unhindered humanitarian access in Somalia, expressing concern about the risk of famine in the conflict-racked country.
- In a statement, adopted the Security Council said it notes with concern that the fighting has exacerbated the humanitarian situation and calls on all parties to allow and facilitate full, safe, rapid and unhindered humanitarian access.
World Bank sees India as fastest growing economy for next 3 years
- The Indian economy will see a robust GDP growth of 7.3% in 2018-19 and 7.5% for the next two as “factors holding back growth in India fade”, the World Bank has forecast, allowing the country to retain the tag as the world’s fastest growing major emerging economy.
- The report, released, is the global lender’s flagship publication on the state of the world economy.
World Oceans Day 2018
- The World Oceans Day was observed across the world on June 8, 2018 to highlight the major role of the oceans in everyday life.
- The action focus for the 2018 World Oceans Day was ‘preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean’. The agenda also coincided with the theme of 2018 World Environment Day –‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.