Daily Current Affairs - 08th Jul 2018
Anju Khosla, Oldest Indian Woman To Complete Ironman Triathlon
- At 52, Anju Khosla has become the oldest Indian woman to complete an Ironman Triathlon – one of the toughest one-day sporting events.
- She completed her first full Ironman Triathlon, in Carinthia, Austria, in 15 hours, 54 minutes and 54 seconds.
- It comprises 3.86 km swimming leg, 180.25 km bike leg followed by a marathon (42.2 km), to be completed without a break.
Dipika Pallikal to represent Asia in CGF AAC
- Squash player Dipika Pallikal has been appointed as Asia’s representative in the prestigious Athletes Advisory Commission of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF). The appointment was made by the CGF.
- The CGF Athletes Advisory Commission was proposed in August 2017 and had reached out to all 71 member Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) to nominate an athlete with the potential to serve the Athletes Commission. Each continent is represented by one athlete in CGFAAC.
EU has 'card to play' in trade war: IMF
- The European Union has "a card to play" if it offers a united front in its response to the trade war pitting the United States against China, International Monetary Fund director Christine Lagarde said.
- She added Europe had the power to balance out the commercial powerplay between Washington and Beijing with neither enjoying sufficient leverage to swing it to either camp.
Frontline Indian warship INS Trikand reaches Sri Lanka in goodwill visit
- India's latest frontline warship INS Trikand has reached Sri Lanka in a goodwill visit. Sri Lanka Navy ceremonially welcomed the state-of-the-art warship in accordance with naval traditions.
- INS Trikand is a state-of-the-art warship of the Indian Navy equipped with a versatile range of weapons and sensors capable of addressing threats in all three dimensions - air, surface and sub-surface.
Government to cash in on defense land, treat transactions as capital receipts
- In a major change in the way defense ministry manages its land, the Indian government has decided to treat all transactions of defense land as capital receipts. With the objective of cashing in on the real estate value of defense land in major cities and towns, all shops located on the property will be asked to pay lease/rent at the current market value.
- The Ministry of Defence had set up a committee to figure out the modalities to have a better use of the cantonment land banks. Headed by former finance secretary Sumit Bose, the report examined better utilisation of its land bank and possible monetary benefits.
HDFC Bank most valuable bank in the emerging market outside China
- HDFC Bank has gone past Russia's Sberbank to become the most valuable bank in the emerging market outside China. HDFC Bank’s current market capitalisation is $78.4 billion against Sberbank's $74.4 billion.
- Chinese banks are leading the order in the emerging market, with Industrial & Commercial Bank of China topping the list with a market cap of $273.4 billion.
- Globally, America's JPMorgan Chase is the most valuable with a market cap of $353 billion, followed by Bank of America at $282 billion.
India To Operate 'World’s Emptiest Airport' In Sri Lanka
- India would operate Sri Lanka’s loss-making Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport in Hambantota.
- The Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport (MRIA) would be operated as a Sri Lanka-India joint venture. The $210 million facility, 241km south-east of Colombo, is dubbed the “world’s emptiest airport” due to a lack of flights.
India's Dalabehera bags bronze in Junior World Weightlifting
- Indian lifter Jhilli Dalabehera bagged the bronze medal in the 2018 IWF Junior World Weightlifting Championships at Tashkent.
- She lifted 167 kg in the 48 kg category to finish third on the podium.
- According to Indian Weightlifting Federation Secretary General Sahdev Yadav, Jhilli is the second woman lifter after Saikhom Mirabai Chanu in 2013 to win a medal in the Junior World Championships.
International Day of Cooperatives- July 7
- The International Day of Cooperatives (IDC) was observed on July 7 (first Saturday of July) across the world to promote co-operative model as it contains core aspects of sustainable development and is based on ethical values and principles.
- The 2018 theme of the Day was ‘Sustainable societies through cooperation’.
Meghalaya CM releases policy document on Jack fruit mission
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma released the policy document of the five year jackfruit mission.
- The mission aims to generate employment opportunities for over 80,000 farmers. According to the policy document, the jackfruit mission will demonstrate the feasibility of turning a long ignored low input, low cost natural resource of the state into a high value product capable of sustaining a long line of enterprises in the community.
RBI cancels licence of Alwar Urban Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said the licence of Alwar Urban Co-operative Bank in Alwar, Rajasthan has been cancelled as it is not in a position to pay its depositors in full as and when their claims accrue, among other reasons.
- The present financial position of the bank leaves no scope for its revival, the RBI said.
Supreme Court once again upholds Chief Justice of India as Master of Roster
- The Supreme Court in its latest ruling once again has upheld Chief Justice of India (CJI) as ‘Master of Roster’. According to ruling given by SC bench of Justices A.K. Sikri and Ashok Bhushan, CJI is an individual judge and not the powerful collective of five senior-most judges of Supreme Court called the ‘Collegium’.
- CJI has the exclusive authority to allocate cases to fellow judges and is spokesperson of the court.
- The judgment was based on a petition filed by former Union Law Minister Shanti Bhushan to have a collegium of supreme court judges collectively allocate cases rather than to leave entire power in the hands of CJI .
Swedish intellectuals form new literature prize in Nobel protest
- More than 100 Swedish intellectuals have joined forces to form The New Academy a new prize-giving body to award a new literature prize as this year’s Nobel Literature Prize has been postponed.
- The new literature award -- which carries a prize of one million kronor (around 97,000 euros, $113,000) raised from crowdfunding and donations -- will be handed out at a December 10 ceremony, the same day as the Nobel banquet.
- The new literature prize is the latest award to be dubbed an alternative to the Nobel, joining the Swedish Right Livelihood Award honouring those who work to improve the planet, and Finland's Millennium Technology Prize.
Tbilisi Grand Prix, Georgia: Bajrang Punia Wins Gold, Deepak Bronze
- Bajrang Punia emerged champion at the Tbilisi Grand Prix in the 65kg category after outplaying Iranian wrestler Mehran Nasiri in the final in Georgia.
- Meanwhile, in the 86kg category, Deepak Punia clinched a bronze with a 5-3 win over Osman Gosen of Turkey.
UK launches new visas open to Indian scientists, academics
- The UK has launched new visas that will be open to overseas scientists and researchers, including Indians, to encourage the growth of the country's research sector.
- The UK government said the new scheme demonstrates its commitment to make the UK a dynamic, open and globally-trading nation.
- The new UKRI Science, Research and Academia scheme opened for researchers, scientists and academics to come to the UK for up to two years
UN Member States Approve USD 6.69 billion For 13 Peacekeeping Operations
- The UN member states approved a USD 6.69 billion dollar budget for 13 peacekeeping operations for the year 2018-19, besides agreeing to major management reforms, including the creation of two new departments focused on political and peace building affairs.
- The United States is the biggest contributor to the United Nations, paying 22 per cent of the USD 5.4 billion core budget and 28.5 per cent of the USD 7.9 billion peacekeeping budget.
- China is the other top contributor with 10.3 per cent and Japan with 9.7 per cent.
United Bank to raise Rs. 1,500 cr. via equity
- Public-sector United Bank of India said it will raise up to Rs 1,500 crore by issuing equity shares in one or more tranches.
- This capital raise will be in addition to the capital support granted by the government.
- United Bank of India
- MD and CEO : Pawan Kumar Bajaj
- Headquarters: Kolkata