Daily Current Affairs - 06th Oct 2018
5th October: World Teachers' Day
- While India celebrates Teachers’ Day on September 5 on the birth anniversary of the former Indian President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the world observes it on October 5.
- UNESCO mentioned this day as International Teachers Day to commemorate the “Teaching in Freedom” pact signed on October 5, 1966 at a special intergovernmental conference convened in Paris.
- The theme for 2018 World Teacher Day is “The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher,” has been chosen to remind the global community that the right to education cannot be achieved without the right to trained and qualified teachers.
Digi Yatra: Government releases policy on biometric based digital processing of passengers at airports
- Union Ministry of Civil Aviation has released policy on biometric based digital processing of passengers at airports called Digi Yatra. The initiative seeks to promote paperless and hassle-free air travel. It will be operational by end of February 2019 at Bengaluru and Hyderabad airports. In later phase, Airports Authority of India (AAI) will roll out this initiative at Kolkata, Varanasi, Pune and Vijayawada airports by April 2019.
- Under Digi Yatra, there will be one-time verification at departure airport while travelling for first time using ID. After successful verification, facial recognition biometric will be captured and stored in Digi Yatra ID. With this initiative, ticket booking, airport entry and boarding pass security check-in will be made digital.
GI Tag for Alphonso from Konkan
- Alphonso from Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg, Palghar, Thane and Raigad districts of Maharashtra, is registered as Geographical Indication (GI).
- A Geographical Indication or a GI is an indication used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin. Such a name conveys an assurance of quality and distinctiveness which is essentially attributable to its origin in that defined geographical locality.
- Darjeeling Tea, Mahabaleshwar Strawberry, Blue Pottery of Jaipur, Banarasi Sarees and TirupatiLaddus are some of the GIs.
Government nod to establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation in Sehore
- The Union Cabinet has remodified its earlier decision to establish of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) in Sehore District (Bhopal-Sehore highway) instead of Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. NIMHR will be the first of its kind in the country in the area of mental health rehabilitation.
- NIMHR will function under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. Its objective is to provide rehabilitation services to persons with mental illness.
India and ADB Signs $110 Million Loan to Improve Rural Connectivity in Madhya Pradesh
- Government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $110 million loan to finance the upgrade of 2,800 kilometers all-weather rural roads in the State of Madhya Pradesh under the Prime Minister's Rural Roads Program (PMGSY).
- It is part of the $500 million Second Rural Connectivity Investment Program for India approved by the ADB Board in December 2017. The overall program is aimed at improving rural connectivity and socio-economic opportunities for rural communities through improvements to about 12,000 kilometers rural roads across the states of Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, and West Bengal.
- The Asian Development Bank is a regional development bank headquartered in Manila, Philippines.
India Chem 2018 Conference begins in Mumbai
- India Chem 2018, the 10th Biennial International Exhibition & Conference began in Mumbai. The largest event of Chemicals and Petrochemical Industry in India is a two-day event. Union Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the conference.
India ranked 28th on government’s adoption of e-payments in 2018
- India was ranked 28th among 73 countries in 2018 Government e-Payments Adoption Ranking (GEAR). India has jumped by eight positions in this ranking from 36th in 2011 which reinforces country’s progress towards digital transformation. Norway has topped 2018 GEAR list scoring 89.7 points in seven categories.
- GEAR is an Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) global Index and benchmarking study commissioned by financial services corporation Visa. It ranks governments by quantifying their e-payment capabilities based on various indicators.
Indian Railways enters into Memorandum of Cooperation & Memorandum of Understanding with Government of Russian Federation
- A Memorandum of Cooperation was signed between the Ministry of Railways of the Republic of India and the Joint Stock Company ‘Russian Railways’ on the sidelines of India-Russia Summit.
- The MoU aims at providing organizational and methodological support to higher educational institutions implementing joint projects in the field of transport education of both countries.
- It also envisages cooperation between Russian University of Transport and the National Rail Transportation Institute, Vadodara to jointly organize educational transport seminars.
Methanol Cooking Fuel Program of India launched
- Northeast and Assam Petro-chemicals, a state-owned company launched India's first "Methanol Cooking Fuel Program". The program was inaugurated by Dr V K Saraswat, Member, NITI Aayog and Chairman, Methanol Apex Committee at the Assam Petro-chemicals campus at Namrup. This technology is very unique, it handles methanol extremely safely, does not need regulator or any piping system.
- Assam Petrochemicals Limited (APL) is one of the few profit-making public sector undertakings of the Assam government.
Monetary Policy: RBI Leaves Repo Rate Unchanged At 6.5%
- The Reserve Bank of India has kept the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) unchanged at 6.5%. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF remains at 6.25%, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.75%. The GDP growth projection for 2018-19 is retained at 7.4 per cent as in the August resolution.
- Repo rate is the rate at which the Reserve Bank of India lends money to commercial banks in the event of any shortfall of funds.
- Liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) is a tool used in monetary policy that allows banks to borrow money through repurchase agreements.
Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi becomes first person to have honorary Canadian citizenship revoked
- Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped of the honorary Canadian citizenship for her role in gross human rights violations against the Rohingya people.
- The Canadian Senate formally revoked the symbolic honour that was bestowed on Suu Kyi in 2007. Senators unanimously adopted a genocide motion tabled by Independent Senator Ratna Omidvar in the red chamber.
Nobel Prize in peace goes to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict”.
- Denis Mukwege is the helper who has devoted his life to defending the victims. Nadia Murad is the witness who tells of the abuses perpetrated against herself and others.
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2017 was awarded to International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN).
R N Ravi appointed Deputy National Security Advisor
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has redesignated R N Ravi, Chairman of Joint Intelligence Committee as Deputy National Security Advisor (Internal Affairs). He will be third deputy NSA to National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval after former Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) chief, Rajinder Khanna and serving diplomat Pankaj Saran.
- Ravi is 1976-batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the Kerala cadre. He is also the government’s interlocutor for ongoing talks with Naga insurgent group National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-IM) and man shaping the Naga peace accord.
- NSA is the chief executive of National Security Council (NSC) and primary advisor to Prime Minister on national and international security and oversees strategic issues.
REINVEST- 2018: 2nd Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo held in Noida
- The second Global Renewable Energy Investment Meeting and Expo (REINVEST- 2018) was organised by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy in Noida. 2nd Global RE-INVEST also hosted First Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) and Meeting of the Energy Ministers of Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) countries.
- REINVEST is global platform to explore strategies for development and deployment of renewables. It was built upon success of RE-Invest 2015 and was organized by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE).
Sahyog HOP TAC -2018: First India-Vietnam Coast Guards exercise held in Bay of Bengal
- The maiden joint exercise of Coast Guards of India and Vietnam “Sahyog HOP TAC -2018” was held in the Bay of Bengal off the Chennai coast, Tamil Nadu. It was aimed at strengthening the working level relationship between coast guards of both navies.
- From Indian side, Coast Guard ships Shaurya, Arnvesh and inreceptor boat C-431 along with Dornier aircraft and Chetak helicopter participated in the joint exercise. It also saw participation of Sagar Manjusa vessel of National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT).
SEZ Policy Review Committee holds final meeting in New Delhi
- The SEZ Policy Review Committee, headed by Baba Kalyani, met in New Delhi. This was the final round of consultations with the committee members under the chairmanship of the Commerce Secretary.
- The objective of the Committee was to evaluate the SEZ policy framed in 2000 and suggest measures to make the policy WTO compatible.
- The Committee was of the opinion that SEZ should now transform into “Employment and Economic Enclaves” (3Es) which will be an integrated ecosystem that focuses on ease of doing business, quality and infrastructure in order to reduce costs.
Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launches a Task Force for Closing the Skills Gap in India
- Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship launched a Task Force for Closing the Skills Gap in India, in collaboration with the World Economic Forum.
- Shri Dharmendra Pradhan will co-chair the task force along with Shri Salil Parekh, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, Infosys.
Sultan of Johor Cup Junior Men's Hockey tournament begins in Johor Bahru, Malaysia
- The Sultan of Johor Cup Junior Men's Hockey tournament begins in Johor Bahru, Malaysia
- This is the eighth edition of the tournament in which a total of six teams will compete for the title. United States, who competed previously, is not taking part this year, and it has been replaced by New Zealand.
- Last year's Bronze medalist India will begin its campaign against hosts Malaysia.