Daily Current Affairs - 07th Oct 2018
Atal Innovation Mission & SIRIUS sign MoU for promotion of innovative cooperation between students of India & Russia
- To promote innovative cooperation between students of India and Russia, a Memorandum of Understanding was exchanged between India’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and the Russian Federation’s SIRIUS Educational Foundation in the presence of the Prime Minister of India Shri. Narendra Modi and the President of Russia H.E. Vladimir Putin, in New Delhi.
- The MoU hopes to remove cultural and language barriers between students of Russia and India, share the best practices in the promotion of educational, scientific, innovative achievements, promote innovative cooperation, and search and develop talented youth of both countries fostering a knowledge driven innovation ecosystem in both the countries.
Country's biggest skill competition 'India Skills 2018' concludes
- The country's biggest skill competition, India Skills 2018 has concluded in New Delhi. The 164 winners were awarded by Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Anant Kumar Hegde.
- India Skills 2018 was the second edition of the nationwide competition organized by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship to identify, recognize, promote and reward the best talents in various skills.
Election Commission Announces Assembly Election Dates For 5 States
- The Election Commission has announced the poll schedule for Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Telangana. While Chhattisgarh will have two-phase elections, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Rajasthan and Telangana will have single phase election.
- Chief Election Commissioner, OP Rawat stated the counting of votes in all states will take place on 11th of December. The Model Code of Conduct has come into force with immediate effect.
- The Election Commission was established in accordance with the Constitution on 25th January 1950.
- Chief Election Commissioner of India------------- Om Prakash Rawat
Former Canara Bank chief Rakesh Sharma named CEO of IDBI Bank
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Rakesh Sharma as the next managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of IDBI Bank, for a period of six months from the date he assumes office.
- Sharma retired from his post as CEO of Canara Bank in July 2018 having been appointed in 2015. He will replace B Sriram, who was the CEO of IDBI Bank until September 2018.
- LIC will acquire a 51 per cent stake in the bank and will be classified as 'promoter' of the bank once the transfer of shares and controlling stake is completed. Further, the bank will increase its authorised share capital from Rs 80 billion to Rs 150 billion.
India beat West Indies by innings and 272 runs
- Dominant India outclassed the West Indies by an innings and 272 runs on the third day of the opening Test in Rajkot to register their biggest ever win in Test cricket.
- Registering an emphatic win against a clueless Windies team, India now have a 1-0 lead in the two match Test series. The second and final test will be played from the 12th of this month at Hyderabad.
India’s and Asia’s first Dolphin Research Centre to come up soon in Patna
- National Dolphin Research Centre (NDRC) will be set up on the banks of the Ganga river in Patna University campus in Patna, capital of Bihar. It will India’s and Asia’s first Dolphin research centre.
- NDRC will play important role in strengthening conservation efforts and research to save endangered mammal whose population is decreasing. Bihar is home to around half of the country’s estimated 3,000 dolphin population.
- Gangetic river dolphin is one of the four freshwater dolphin species in the world. It is India’s national aquatic animal. It is almost completely blind and finds its way and prey using ultrasonic echoes.
ISRO, ROSCOSMOS to work together for first Indian manned mission, Gaganyaan
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Russia’s federal space agency Roscosmos State Corporation for Space Activities (ROSCOSMOS) have agreed to worked together for first manned space mission Gaganyaan. In this regard, both space agencies have signed MoU at end of delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladmir Putin in New Delhi.
- Under MoU on Joint Activities in the field of Human Spaceflight Programme, ROSCOSMOS has offered ride to Indian astronaut short visit to International Space Station (ISS) on board Soyuz spacecraft for short training mission in 2022.
- Gaganyaan is India’s first manned space mission. Under it, India is planning to send three humans (Gaganyatris) into space i.e. in low earth orbit (LEO) by 2022.
Japan military joins historic Philippine war games
- Japanese troops stormed a beach in the Philippines in joint exercises with US and Filipino troops that officials said marked the first time Tokyo's armoured vehicles rolled on foreign soil since World War II.
- The exercise, codenamed Kamandag, marked the first time Japanese armoured military vehicles were used on foreign soil since 1945. Japan's Major Koki Inoue said that the purpose is to improve Japan's operational capability, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief training.
Justice Surya Kant sworn in as Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh HC
- Justice Surya Kant sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. He was administered the oath of office by Governor Acharya Devvrat in a ceremony held at Raj Bhawan. Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur was also present on the occasion.
- Justice Surya Kant is known to be a “Passionate environmentalist” associated with national and international NGOs and law associations.
NASSCOM unveils Centre of Excellence for IoT in Haryana
- Indian IT industry’s apex body National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has launched its Centre of Excellence for the Internet of Things (CoE – IoT) at Gurugram, Haryana. This centre was launched in collaboration with Haryana government and is part of nationwide collaborative initiative involving the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- NASSCOM is global non-profit trade association (organisation) of Indian Information Technology (IT) and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry. Its headquarters is in New Delhi.
One in three companies in India prefer hiring men: WEF Study
- According to recently released World Economic Forum (WEF) “Future of Work in India” report, companies in India experiencing highest growth prefer hiring men. The study shows that technology-led job growth benefits men more than women and has found that one in three companies preferred hiring men, only one in 10 companies wanted to hire more women.
- The report was prepared by WEF and Observer Research Foundation (ORF).
Pakistan gives nod to set up refinery with Saudi Arabia’s help in Balochistan
- Pakistan's Cabinet gave nod to the signing of a memorandum of understanding with Saudi Arabia to set up a state-of-the-art oil refinery in the southwestern province of Balochistan. The proposed 500,000-barrel per day refinery is estimated to be completed with an investment of about 8 to 9 billion US dollars.
- The refinery will be set up at Gwadar, a coastal town on the Arabian Sea where China built a deep seaport under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.
Pankaj Sharma appointed India’s Ambassador to UN Conference on Disarmament
- Pankaj Sharma has been appointed as ambassador and India’s permanent representative to United Nations Conference on Disarmament in Geneva. He will replace Amandeep Gill. Pankaj Sharma is currently joint secretary (Disarmament and International Security Division) in Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- UN Conference on Disarmament (CD) is not formally United Nations (UN) organization. It is linked to UN through personal representative of UN Secretary-General. It is headquartered in Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland.
Parker Solar Probe completes first Venus flyby: NASA
- NASA’s Parker Solar Probe has successfully completed flyby of Venus at distance of about 2,415 kilometres during its first gravity assist from planet.
- Parker Solar Probe is mankind’s first mission to study outer corona of Sun. It was successfully launched in August 2018 for unprecedented seven-year long journey to unlock mysteries of Sun’s fiery outer atmosphere and its effects on space weather.
- Parker Solar Probe will explore Sun’s outer atmosphere and make critical observations to answer questions about physics of stars.
President of India inaugurates 4th India International Science Festival in Lucknow
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 4th India International Science Festival in Lucknow.
- The subject of this year's festival is ‘science for transformation’.
- At the meet, 600 students will work on DNA isolation while 3,000 school children will be trained in first-aid. Union Surface Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari would be presiding over the closing ceremony.
Reliance Health Insurance gets final nod from IRDAI to start operations
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Health Insurance, a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Capital, has received final approval from the insurance regulator to start operations. The company plans to commence operations by the December quarter of 2018.
- Reliance Capital has designated Ravi Viswanath, who has over two decades of global experience in health insurance, as CEO of the new health insurance company. Health insurance in India has been amongst the fastest growing insurance sectors, growing at 20 per cent annually, and is expected to double to over Rs 1 lakh crore by 2021.
Youth Olympic games 2018 begins in Argentina
- The 3rd Youth Olympic Games has officially begun at Buenos Aires, Argentina. India is represented with a contingent of 68 members, including 46 athletes, will compete in 13 sports during the prestigious event.
- Manu Bhaker is leading the Indian team in the opening ceremony as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for the games.