Daily Current Affairs - 06th Nov 2018
Adani Gas to invest Rs.8,000 cr.
- Adani Gas Limited (AGL) is planning to invest more than Rs.8,000 crore in the next five years to consolidate its position as India’s largest city gas distribution (CGD) company in the private sector
- after the Adani Group listed the gas distribution arm on the stock exchanges.
- Delhi-based Indraprastha Gas Limited is the most valued company in the sector with market capitalisation of more than Rs.19,852 crore.
- Chairman, Adani Group: Gautam Adani
Ayurveda Departments to be opened in new 19 AIIMS: AYUSH Minister
- According to Ayush Ministry, ayurveda departments will be opened in the 19 new All India Institute of Medical Science, AIIMS. The work is already in progress to start Ayurveda Departments in hundred ESIC hospitals under Ministry of Labour.
- The Home Ministry has approved to open Ayurveda Departments in seven hospitals of BSF and other Paramilitary forces. This year government has taken many steps to fulfil the theme ‘Ayurveda for public health’.
- AYUSH Minister Shripad Yesso Naik
Centre releases over 113 crore rupees to six border states under Border Area Development Programme
- The union government has released over 113 crore rupees to six border states as part of its plan to reduce the problems of people living in these isolated locations. The amount was released to Assam, Nagaland, Sikkim, Gujarat, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand under the Border Area Development Programme (BADP).
- With this, the Home Ministry has released around Rs 638 crore rupees so far during this fiscal to the States having International Border.
- Border Area Development Programme (BADP) covers 111 border districts in 17 states to meet special development needs of border population with a focus on the people living within 50 kilometres of the International Border.
China Open Masters Badminton tournament will begin in Fuzhou
- The China Open Masters Badminton tournament will begin in Fuzhou, China. Indian star shuttlers, Kidambi Srikanth and P.V. Sindhu will lead the Indian contingent. Sindhu will be looking for her first title of the year after a total of five final losses in 2018. She will be up against Evgeniya Kosetskaya of Russia.
Govt approves operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens
- The Union government had approved the operationalization strategy for Operation Greens to ensure availability of Tomato, Onion and Potato throughout the country round the year without price volatility. As price volatility of these crops wreaks havoc in the households of this country.
- The union government has laid down special measures and grants-in-aid under the scheme to ensure enhanced production of these crops.
- Operation Greens was announced in the Budget speech of 2018-19 with an outlay of 500 crore rupees to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato crops.
- Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal
India among 8 countries allowed to buy Iranian oil: US
- The United States has exempted eight countries, including India from the US sanctions for buying Iranian oil. The list of the countries temporarily exempted from the sanctions include China, Japan, Italy, Greece, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey.
- The US stated that these countries showed significant reduction in oil purchase from Iran after the Trump administration reimposed sanctions on Tehran.
- The US also warned companies globally that they would be subjected to severe penalties including potential sanctions if they continued to have commercial transactions with Iran.
- The US imposed the toughest ever sanctions on Iran that includes sanctions cover Iran's banking and energy sectors.
- President: Hassan Rouhani
- Capital: Tehran
- Currency:Iranian rial
India, Malawi sign MoUs in Extradition Treaty, Atomic Energy and VISA Waiver
- India and Malawi have signed three MoUs on Extradition Treaty, cooperation in the field of Atomic Energy for peaceful purposes and VISA Waiver for Diplomatic and Official Passports. India will also extend a new Line of credit of 215 million US dollars to Malawi for 18 water projects.
- President: Peter Arthur Mutharika
- Capital: Lilongwe
- Currency: Malawian kwacha
India, South Korea sign MoU on cooperation in sports
- India and South Korea signed a Memorandum of Understanding on cooperation in sports in New Delhi. The objective of the MoU is to establish a framework to facilitate and promote cooperation between the two countries on the basis of reciprocity and mutual benefit.
- Both countries will encourage exchanges and cooperative actions between sports authorities, sports federations and other sports bodies in the different areas of cooperation.
- South Korea is well known for its best practices in the management of sports infrastructure, governance of sports.
- Sports Minister Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore
- South Korea
- President: Moon Jae-in
- Prime minister: Lee Nak-yeon
- Capital: Seoul
- Currency: South Korean won
INS Arihant successfully completes its first deterrence patrol
- Indian nuclear submarine INS Arihant has successfully completed its first deterrence patrol. The development is a major achievement for the country and will help in protecting the country from external threats and contribute to the atmosphere of peace in the region.
- Arihant was commissioned into service in August 2016 but its induction was never officially acknowledged. It has a displacement of 6000 tonnes and is powered by an 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor with enriched uranium.
- INS Arihant is the lead ship of India's Arihant class of nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines. The vessel was built under the Advanced Technology Vessel project as a part of the Indian Navy's secretive Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV) project.
Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust planning to host edible oil refinery
- The nation's largest container port Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) in Navi Mumbai is planning to host an edible oil refinery to maximize revenue and ensure captive cargo. It already has a liquid cargo terminal in addition to the four container terminals off the city's east coast.
- The port has received an expression of interest from edible oil players for setting up a refinery at its place where its land will be leased out on a long-term basis and will be beneficial for the port as it will give it captive cargo.
- The raw material for the refinery will be imported from abroad and a considerable part of the finished products will be sent out through the sea
- Chairman of JNPT: Neeraj Bansal
Marc Marquez wins Malaysian MotoGP as Valentino Rossi crashes out of lead
- World champion Marc Marquez won the Malaysian MotoGP despite starting in seventh position surging past Valentino Rossi who crashed out when leading. Suzuki's Alex Rins came in second after overtaking Yamaha rider Johann Zarco, who finished third, in the final stage of the race at Sepang.
Oil prices fall for fourth straight week as US allows Irans sanctions waiver
- Global crude oil prices fell for the fourth straight week as investors worried about oversupply as the United States temporarily spared eight countries from Iran-related sanctions during the week. The waivers could allow top buyers to keep importing Iranian oil after economic penalties come back into effect on Monday.
- US crude futures ended the week at 63.14 dollars a barrel, slipping 6.6 per cent this week. Brent crude oil futures finished the week at 72.91 dollars a barrel slumped 6 per cent during the week.
- Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries boosted oil production in October to 33.3 million barrels per day, up 390,000 barrels per day and the highest by OPEC since 2016.
Ram Mohan Roy award for N. Ram
- Veteran journalist and the Hindu Publishing Group Chairman N. Ram has been chosen for the prestigious Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award, presented by the Press Council of India (PCI), for his outstanding contribution towards journalism.
- Ruby Sarkar, chief correspondent of Deshbandhu, Bhopal, and Rajesh Parshuram Joshte of Daily Pudhari , Ratnagiri, have been named joint winners for ‘Rural Journalism’.
SBI posts first profit in four quarters
- State Bank of India has reported a profit for the first time in four quarters for the July- September 2018 period. It had reported losses for three consecutive quarters leading up to this one. The standalone net profit of Rs. 945 crore was however 40.26% lower compared to the same period last year, mainly due to mark-to-market provision of Rs. 1,749 crore.
- Gross NPAs of the bank fell for two consecutive quarters to Rs. 2.05 lakh crore from Rs. 2.13 lakh crore in the first quarter of this fiscal and Rs. 2.23 lakh crore in the last quarter of the previous fiscal.
- The credit growth was 11.11% - in line with the guidance of 10-12% for FY19.
- Net interest income grew by 12.5% on year to Rs. 20,906 crore during the quarter while non-interest income declined 41.5% to Rs. 9,375 crore due to provision for bond losses.
- Chairman, SBI: Rajnish Kumar
UN says Earth's ozone layer is finally healing
- Earth’s protective ozone layer is finally healing from damage caused by aerosol sprays and coolants, a new United Nations report said. The ozone layer had been thinning since the late 1970s. Use of man-made chemicals such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which release chlorine and bromine, began eating away at the ozone.
- In 1987, countries around the world agreed in the Montreal Protocol to phase out CFCs and businesses came up with replacements for spray cans and other uses. Scientist raised the alarm and ozone-depleting chemicals were phased out worldwide.
- High in the atmosphere, ozone shields Earth from ultraviolet rays that cause skin cancer, crop damage and other problems.
World Tsunami Awareness Day 5 November
- The World Tsunami Awareness Day is celebrated on 5th November every year with the purpose of defending the valuable lives of everyone around the world.
- In 2018, the World Tsunami Awareness Day will align with the International Day for Disaster Reduction and the "Sendai Seven Campaign" and will focus on Target “c” of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction which aims at reducing direct disaster economic loss in relation to GDP.
- The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 was adopted at the Third UN World Conference in Sendai, Japan, on March 18, 2015