Daily Current Affairs - 19th Nov 2018
AYUSH Ministry celebrates first Naturopathy Day – November 18
- On 18th November 2018, Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) celebrated the first Naturopathy Day throughout India.
- Central Council for Research in Yoga and Naturopathy, an autonomous body under AYUSH Ministry, organised health camps, workshops and exhibitions in association with local naturopathy centres and hospitals from 14th to 18th November 2018.
BSE to part ways with S&P Dow Jones; plans to develop its own indices
- Asia’s oldest bourse BSE will snap ties with S&P Dow Jones, which manages and operates the benchmark Sensex, and plans to develop indices through its in-house development team.
- The two entities had announced a joint venture — Asia Index — in 2013 to provide an array of indices enabling global and domestic investors to participate in South Asia’s vibrant economies.
Four Indian boxers including Mary Kom advance to quarterfinals of Women's World Boxing Championships
- Four Indian boxers including five-time world champion MC Mary Kom advanced to the quarterfinals of the Women's World Boxing Championships in New Delhi.
- Boxer Manisha Maun, Lovlina Borgohain and Bhagyabati Kachar also advanced to the quarterfinals in their respective weight categories.
FPIs invest over $1 bn in Nov. so far
- Foreign portfolio investors (FPIs) have pumped in nearly Rs. 8,285 crore into the Indian capital markets so far this month due to fall in crude oil prices, recovery in rupee and improvement in the liquidity situation.
- According to depositories data, FPIs infused Rs. 3,862 crore in the equity markets during November 1-16, and Rs. 4,423 crore in the debt market.
Government to set up Animation, Gaming and Visual effects Institute in Mumbai
- The government will set up Animation, Gaming and Visual effects Institute in Mumbai to encourage youth participation in the field of film and cinematography.
ICC Women's WT20: India beat Australia by 48 runs in their final match
- India beat Australia by 48 runs in their final match of the group stage in the ICC Women's World T20 at Providence in Guyana.
- Australian eves scored only 119 in 19.4 overs.
Maldives Prez Solih lists key focus areas for first 100 days of his administration
- New Maldivian President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has pledged to implement judicial reforms, restore fundamental rights, and seek the truth behind unresolved murders and abductions, as his priorities in the first 100 days of his administration.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, attended Mr Solih's swearing-in ceremony.
Punjab becomes third state to ban hookah bars or lounges
- Punjab becomes third state in the country after Maharashtra and Gujarat to ban hookah bars or lounges.
- The ban was announced through law after President Ram Nath Kovind gave assent to Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) (Punjab Amendment) Bill, 2018.
- The objective of this law is to check use of tobacco in various forms and prevent diseases caused by use of the tobacco products.
Qaumi Ekta Week begins today to reinforce spirit of communal harmony and national integration
- Qaumi Ekta Week will be observed across the country from November 19 to foster and reinforce the spirit of communal harmony and national integration.
- The observation of the week will help to highlight the inherent strength and resilience of the nation to withstand actual and potential threats to the eclectic and secular fabric of the country.
- As part of the week-long programmes, November 19 will be observed as National Integration Day.
Quota for Marathas approved
- The Maharashtra Cabinet cleared the decision to extend reservation to the Maratha community by creating a new category called Socially and Educationally Backward Class (SEBC) on the recommendations of the State Backward Class Commission.
Sanjay Kumar Mishra appointed Director of Enforcement Directorate
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi headed Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Senior IRS officer Sanjay Kumar Mishra as full-time Director of the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
- He will have tenure of two-years from the date of assumption of the charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
State-owned banks’ losses widened nearly 3.5 times in Jul-Sep
- State-owned banks saw their cumulative losses widen nearly three-and-a-half times to Rs. 14,716.2 crore in the July-September quarter of the current fiscal due to mounting bad loans.
- These 21 public sector banks had posted a net loss of Rs. 4,284.45 crore in the September quarter of 2017-18. Higher provisioning towards bad loans had impacted the balance sheets of these PSU lenders.
The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims – 18 November
- The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims is observed every year on the third Sunday of November. This day was started by RoadPeace organization in 1993. In 2005, United Nations endorsed this day as a global observance.
- Theme: for The World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims 2018 is “Roads have stories”.
Thomas Cook to invest Rs 300 mn by 2020 to expand footprint in India
- Travel and travel financial services company Thomas Cook is looking to invest almost Rs 300 million by 2020 to expand its footprint in India.
- From the current network of about 175 branches, it plans to take up the number of outlets to around 225 by 2020, including franchisee-owned centres.
UIDAI's Ajay Bhushan Pandey appointed new revenue secretary
- The government has appointed UIDAI CEO and GSTN Chairman Ajay Bhushan Pandey as the next Revenue Secretary.
- The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet in a notification yesterday said, Mr Pandey, who is 1984 batch Maharashtra-cadre IAS officer, will take charge as the Revenue Secretary after the superannuation of current Finance and Revenue Secretary Hasmukh Adhia on November 30.