Daily Current Affairs - 28th Nov 2018
"SpongeBob SquarePants" Creator Stephen Hillenburg Dies at 57
- Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, has passed away at the age of 57. He was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as motor neurone disease (MND), in March 2017.
- He was also honoured with a special Emmy “for his contribution and impact made in the animation field and within the broadcast industry” in early 2018.
27 November: Indian Organ Donation Day
- ‘9th Indian Organ Donation Day’ was organized by the National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization (NOTTO) in Delhi. Shri Ashwini Kumar Choubey, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare stated that People’s participation and people’s awareness is the key to encouraging organ donation.
- The best performing State of Tamil Nadu was also felicitated. The State of Maharashtra received an award for being the best State for promoting awareness of organ donations. Dr. Subramania Iyer K, Kochi was felicitated for conducting first hand transplant in the country and Dr. Shailesh Puntambekar, Pune, received the award for conducting 1st Uterine Transplant in India.
Akhilesh Ranjan appointed as Convener of Task Force drafting New Direct Tax Legislation
- Union Finance Ministry has appointed Akhilesh Ranjan, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) member as Convenor of Task Force that is drafting New Direct Tax Legislation (Law). He will replace Arbind Modi who retired in September 2018. The other members (composition) of the Task Force remain unchanged. Akhilesh Ranjan is presently serving as Member (Legislation) of CBDT.
- The task force has been mandated to draft appropriate Direct Tax Legislation keeping in view direct tax system prevalent in various countries, international best practices and economic needs of the country.
BCCI doubles ban for age frauds
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced doubling of the ban for age frauds. Earlier, a cricketer faced a ban of one year.
- In a statement, the BCCI said it has a zero-tolerance policy for age frauds in sport.
First-ever India Russia Strategic Economic Dialogue held at St. Petersburg
- The first-ever India Russia Strategic Economic Dialogue was held at St. Petersburg in Russia. Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar and Russian delegation headed by Economic Development Minister Maxim Oreshkin.
- It was aimed to bring together key business figures from both countries. Transport, agriculture and agro-processing, Small and Medium Enterprises SMEs), digital transformation and frontier technologies and industrial cooperation were some of the key areas of focus of the forum.
Government inks $75 million loan with ADB to improve Urban Services in 4 Karnataka Towns
- Union Government has inked $75 million loan agreement with Asian Development Bank (ADB) for Karnataka Integrated Urban Water Management Investment Program. Under it 24 x7 water supply will be provided in Karnataka’s four coastal towns of Kundapura, Mangalore Puttur and Udupi and improve sanitation infrastructure for Mangalore town. It will be tranche 2 loan agreement of this program.
- Karnataka Integrated Urban Water Management Investment Program was approved by ADB Board in 2014. It aims to improve urban water resource management in selected river basins in Karnataka through modernization and expansion of urban water supply and sanitation infrastructure.
Government launches Logo and Brochure of Logix India
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu launched logo and brochure of Logix India 2019 in New Delhi. Logix India 2019 is scheduled to take place in New Delhi from 31st January to 2nd February 2019. It is being organized by Federation of Indian Export Organisations (FIEO).
- Through Logix India 2019, FIEO will also focus on investment opportunities in infrastructure development, technology integration, warehouse consolidation and IT enablement and skilling of manpower at the three-day meet.
Government launches PAISA Portal under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission
- Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs launched ‘PAiSA’ – Portal for Affordable Credit and Interest Subvention Access during National Workshop on Municipal Finance and Urban Planning held in New Delhi.
- PAISA Portal is a centralised electronic platform for quicker processing of loans under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM). It aims to connect directly with beneficiaries and ensure there is greater efficiency in the delivery of services. It has been designed and developed by Allahabad Bank, the nodal bank under the scheme.
Health Ministry launches health information platform to monitor public health surveillance
- Union Ministry Health and Family Welfare has soft-launched Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP) segment of Integrated Health Information Platform (IHIP) in seven states. The first one-of-its-kind initiative launched by the Central Government to monitor public health surveillance.
- Integrated Health Information Platform (IHIP) is real time, village wise, case based electronic health information system with GIS tagging to provide prompt prevention and control of epidemic prone diseases. It will provide near-real-time data to policy makers for detecting outbreaks, reducing the morbidity and mortality and lessening disease burden in populations and better health systems.
International Gita Festival, 2018 to be held in Kurukshetra
- The International Gita Festival 2018 will be organised in Kurukshetra in Haryana from December 7 to 23, 2018. This year it is third year of this mega cultural event, where Mauritius is partner country and Gujarat is the partner state.
- Gita festival will also be organised in Mauritius next February. The objective behind this event is to spread the message of Gita to world.
Kiren Rijiju inaugurates 14th formation day of NDMA
- The Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju has inaugurated the 14th Formation Day of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) on 27th November 2018 in New Delhi. The theme of this year’s Formation Day is ‘Early Warning for Disasters’.
- On the occasion, NDMA also released a training manual for masons on Hazard-Resistant Construction. A study report on “Gujarat floods 2017: A Case Study” will also be released.
Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti launched to boost IPR culture in indigenous defence industry
- Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched ‘Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti’ in New Delhi to boost Intellectual Property Right (IPR) culture in indigenous defence industry.
- Mission Raksha Gyan Shakti was instituted by Department of Defence Production as part of the ongoing initiatives to enhance self-reliance in defence. It aimed to provide a boost to IPR culture in indigenous defence industry. The main objective of this programme was to inculcate IP culture in Indian defence manufacturing ecosystem.
Nageshwara Rao Guntur appointed as Chairperson of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
- Union Government has appointed renowned scientist Nageshwara Rao Guntur as Chairperson of Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB). His appointment as the AERB chairperson will be for three years.
- Nageshwara Rao Guntur is the chairman, Project Design Safety Committee, Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) and former distinguished scientist Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL).
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) was established in November 1983 to carry out certain regulatory and safety functions in the fields of nuclear and radiation safety on a countrywide basis. It is headquartered is in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
NASA's InSight spacecraft successfully lands on Mars after six-month journey
- NASA's robotic InSight lander successfully landed on Mars after the six-month journey. The spacecraft has been designed to dig deep into the rocky surface of the Red Planet to reveal its secrets.
- The Insight lander touched down near Mars' equator on the western side of a flat, smooth expanse of lava called Elysium Planitia. InSight will study the interior of Mars and will teach about valuable science as they prepare to send astronauts to the Moon and later to Mars. The probe was launched from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California on 5th of May.
Oscar-winning director Bernardo Bertolucci dies
- Italian filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci, who won Oscars with “The Last Emperor” and whose erotic drama “Last Tango in Paris” enthralled and shocked the world, has passed away.
Sashastra Seema Bal to patrol Dudhwa tiger reserve
- Dudhwa Tiger Reserve (DTR) and Sashastra Seema Bal have joined hands to provide security to Dudhwa forests and its rich wildlife.
- It was part consensus reached among all security agencies including SSB, central and local intelligence officers, customs and excise officials, Special Tiger Protection Force and DTR’s field staff to discuss issues involving safety of Dudhwa forests and its wildlife.
Ukraine declares martial law after Russian naval attack
- Ukraine’s parliament has imposed martial law in the country to fight what its president called “growing aggression” from Moscow after a weekend naval confrontation off the disputed Crimean Peninsula in which Russia fired on and seized three Ukrainian vessels amid renewed tensions between the neighbors.
- Russia and Ukraine blamed each other in the dispute that further ratcheted up tensions ever since Moscow annexed Crimea in 2014. Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko asked lawmakers in Kiev to institute martial law. After a five-hour debate, parliament overwhelmingly approved his proposal, voting to impose martial law for 30 days.
‘HAUSLA-2018’ Inaugurated in New Delhi
- The National Festival for Children of Child Care Institutions (CCIs)– “Hausla 2018” of the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) was inaugurated by the Secretary, Shri Rakesh Srivastava, in New Delhi.
- The inter-Child Care Institution festival is witnessing participation of more than 600 Children drawn from CCIs from 18 states in the various events like painting competition, athletics meet, football, chess competition and speech writing as part of the Festival.