Daily Current Affairs - 13th Jan 2019
10% reservation for economically weak in general category comes into force
- The Act providing 10 per cent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions to Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) among upper caste came into effect. The government notified 14th January as the date on which the provisions of Constitution (103rd Amendment) Act, 2019 will be effective.
- The Act amends Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution, by adding a clause which allows states to make special provision for the advancement of any economically weaker sections in the general category.
25th Edition of Partnership Summit Held in Mumbai
- The 25th edition of Partnership Summit 2019, a global platform for dialogue, debate, deliberation and engagement among Indian and global leaders on economic policy and growth trends in India was held in Mumbai.
- The two-day event was inaugurated by the Vice President of India, M Venkaiah Naidu. The Summit was organized by the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, State Government of Maharashtra and Confederation of Indian Industry.
4th meeting of CTDP held in New Delhi
- Union Minister for Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu, chaired the 4th meeting of the Council for Trade Development and Promotion (CTDP) in New Delhi.
- Suresh Prabhu informed in the meeting that the Government of India has formulated an Agricultural Export Policy for the first time with a focused plan to boost India’s agricultural exports to USD 60 billion by 2022.
Adi Godrej conferred ICSI lifetime award
- Industrialist and Godrej Group Chairman Adi Godrej was conferred the ICSIs Lifetime Achievement Award for ‘Translating Excellence in Corporate Governance into Reality’.
- The awards were instituted by The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), which is celebrating its golden jubilee. The 18th ICSI National Awards for Excellence in Corporate Governance were bagged jointly by Cipla Ltd and Dabur India Ltd and five others: ACC Ltd, Hindustan Unilever Ltd, Indian Oil Corp, Tata Metaliks Ltd and Indian Hotels Co Ltd.
Albie Morkel retires from all forms of cricket
- Albie Morkel, the South African all-rounder, announced his retirement from all forms of cricket. Morkel, who played for close to 20 years of professional cricket, made his first-class debut for Easterns against Northerns in the 1999-00 domestic season.
- Morkel earned a call-up into the South African ODI set-up for the series against New Zealand in 2004 after snaring 12 scalps in List A games in the 2003-04 season.
Army Tech Seminar (ARTECH 2019) held in New Delhi
- Indian Army organised the Army Technology Seminar-2019 (ARTECH 2019) on the theme “Disruptive Impact of Emerging Technologies on Land Warfare” at Manekshaw Centre, Delhi Cantt.
- The seminar was aimed to bring together stakeholders in the military, academia and industry to provide perspective on the available and emerging technologies which could have an impact on warfighting.
Ashok Chawla resigned as NSE chairman
- Ashok Chawla resigned as chairman of the National Stock Exchange of India Ltd (NSE) with immediate effect “in light of recent legal developments”.
- Chawla’s resignation came on a day the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) told a special court in Delhi that it has obtained the sanction of the ministries concerned to file charges against him and four other former bureaucrats in the Aircel-Maxis case.
EIU Democracy index 2018: Norway tops, India ranks 41st
- The 11th edition of EIU Democracy Index 2018 was released by the Economist Intelligent Unit compiling the state of democracies in 167 countries in the world. In the list, Norway topped and India has ranked at 41st place on the Economist Intelligence Unit’s annual Global Democracy Index. Iceland and Sweden are followed by Norway.
- The Index was started in 2006.No country from Asia and African continent are in top 10 list.
India’s 1st manned mission to space by December 2021: ISRO
- ISRO Chairman Dr. K Sivan has announced that the organization is well prepared to meet the targets of launching Gaganyaan manned mission to outer space by December 2021. Under Gaganyaan project, India is planning to send three astronauts to outer space for seven days and bring them back.
- 332 launches are planned this year. Important among them are Chandrayaaan -2 mission to the moon in mid-April. GSAT-20 Satellite for high bandwidth connectivity to be launched in September-October.
National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 launched
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports, Col Rajyavardhan Rathore launched the National Youth Parliament Festival 2019 at a function in New Delhi.
- The theme of the festival is- ‘Be the Voice of New India and Find solutions and contribute to policy’. The Ministry has decided to organize the youth festival at every district of the country so that the youth between the age group of 18 to 25 years can participate and discuss and debate about how to make a New India.
PM released a Commemorative Coin to mark the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh ji
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released a commemorative coin on Guru Gobind Singh ji, at New Delhi. The event marks the birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh ji.
- The Tenth Guru of Sikhs- Guru Gobind Singh has been a source of inspiration for many through his teachings and ideals.
President of India Confers the Honorary Rank of General of The Indian Army on General Purna Chandra Thapa
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, conferred the Honorary Rank of General of the Indian Army on Sukirtimaya Rashtradeep General Purna Chandra Thapa, Chief of the Army Staff, Nepalese Army, for his commendable military prowess and immeasurable contribution to fostering Nepal’s long and friendly association with India, at a special Investiture Ceremony held at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
US partial govt shutdown becomes longest on record
- The partial shutdown of the US government has become the longest on record, with still no end in sight to the political standoff.
- It reaches its 22nd day, overtaking the previous record - the 21-day shutdown in 1995-96 under then-President Bill Clinton.
- President Donald Trump is refusing to approve a budget unless it includes funds for a wall on the Mexican border. Democrats have rejected his request for $5.7bn. About a quarter of the federal government is still out of operation until a spending plan is agreed, leaving 800,000 employees unpaid.
Virat Kohli, Ravi Shastri receive honorary membership of Sydney Cricket Ground
- India skipper Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri received the honorary membership of the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) for their contribution to the sport of cricket.
- The only other international cricketers to be granted the honorary membership of the SCG are Sachin Tendulkar and Brain Lara of the West Indies.
Yes Bank appoints Brahm Dutt as Non-Executive part-time chairman
- Yes Bank, India’s fourth-largest private sector bank, announced the appointment of Brahm Dutt as non-executive part-time chairman up till July 4, 2020. He is currently also the chairman of the Nomination and Remuneration Committee.
- Brahm Dutt has been on Yes Bank’s board since July 2013 as an independent director and contributed to almost all the sub-committees of the board over the past five and a half years.
‘Women of India Organic Festival’ organized by WCD Ministry begin at Leisure Valley, Chandigarh
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organizing the three-day 6th ‘Women of India Organic Festival’ at Leisure Valley, Chandigarh, to celebrate and promote women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India.
- The festival aims to encourage Indian women entrepreneurs and farmers to connect with more buyers and thus, empower them through financial inclusion, while promoting organic culture in India. Through this festival, the Ministry also aims to educate people about its various initiatives and schemes relating to women and children.
- The Women of India Organic Festival has been held annually in New Delhi since 2015 and makes its debut in Chandigarh this year.