Daily Current Affairs - 19th Jan 2019
BHEL and LIBCOIN to Build India’s First Lithium Ion Giga Factory
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and Libcoin are in dialogue to form a world class consortium to initially build 1GWh lithium ion battery plant in India.
- Its capacity will be scaled up to 30GWh in due course. With this, India has finally taken steps into its energy security and clean energy commitment to the world.
GDP growth likely to be higher at 7.5% in FY20, says India Ratings and Research
- India’s economy is likely to grow higher at 7.5 per cent in 2019-20 because of steady improvement in major sectors -- industry and services, said India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra).
- According to the advance estimates of the Central Statistics Office (CSO), the economy may clock a growth rate of 7.2 per cent in the current financial year, up from 6.7 per cent in the previous year.
Government sanctions three new Naval Air Squadrons to be set up in Gujarat, Tamil Nadu
- Government has sanctioned three new Naval Air Squadrons to be set up in Gujarat and Tamil Nadu. Defence Ministry said in a release that besides this, the Central Government has also sanctioned manpower towards manning additional aircraft in existing Dornier Surveillance Squadrons in Kerala and Andaman Islands.
Housing, Urban Affairs Ministry to organise 'Shehri Samridhi Utsav' from Feb 1 to 15
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is organising a fortnight of events named Shehri Samridhi Utsav all over the country focusing on urban livelihoods.
- Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri said, the event will begin on 1st February and continue till 15th. He said, the event aims at extending the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana - National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) to the poorest of poor and the most vulnerable.
India and Mongolia Sign a Powerful MoU at ICMEI
- The Embassy of Mongolia and International Chamber of Media and Entertainment Industry (ICMEI), India have further strengthened the relationship between India and Mongolia by signing a MoU in the field of art and culture.
- International Chamber of Media & Entertainment Industry (ICMEI) is the only chamber devoted to Media & Entertainment Industry, not only nationally but globally.
India signed long term contract with Uzbekistan for supply of Uranium
- India has signed a long-term contract with Uzbekistan for supply of uranium ore concentrates to widen its source base for the nuclear fuel.
- Uzbekistan is the seventh largest exporter of uranium in the world. The Exim Bank signed an agreement with Uzbekistan to extend a 200-million US dollar line of credit for financing housing and social infrastructure projects.
India won Bilateral Series in All Formats in Australia
- India defeated Australia in the third ODI today to clinch the three-match series 2-1. With this, India became the first visiting side to win a bilateral series (two or more matches) in all three formats in Australia.
- India registered their first Test series win in Australia earlier this month, while they won a T20I series on Australian soil in 2016.
India’s 2nd Defence Innovation Hub to come Up in Nashik
- Nashik in Maharashtra will be the site of the country’s second defence innovation hub after Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
- The defence innovation hub at Nashik will help local industries and entrepreneurs and further the Centre's Make in India push in the country's defence sector.
ISRO to launch two unmanned space missions in 2020 and 2021
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced that it will send two unmanned mission to space in December next year and in July 2021. ISRO Chairman Dr K Sivan said to boost innovation and creativity and galvanise high-tech aerospace industry, ISRO has lined up many plans this year.
- He said country's first manned space flight - Gaganyaan - will send three humans into space for seven days by December 2021. Dr Sivan said ISRO's unmanned test missions for Gaganyaan in 2021 will carry humanoids not animals.
Japan Launches Satellite for World’s 1st Artificial Meteor Shower
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency has launched Tokyo-based start-up Star-ALE’s mini-satellite aimed to deliver the world’s first artificial meteor shower.
- The satellite carries 400 tiny balls, will be enough for 20-30 events, that will glow as they rush down the atmosphere on being released. ALE plans to deliver its first show in Hiroshima in early 2020.
Khelo India Youth Games: Maharashtra touch 200 medals to stay on top
- In Khelo India Youth Games in Pune, Maharashtra touched a new milestone of 200 medals with 76 gold with 57 silver and 67 bronze.
- Haryana with 48 gold medals, 45 silver and 54 bronze, are second in the medals’ tally, pushing Delhi with 47 gold, 33 silver and 47 bronze to the third spot.
MRF bags highest rank in customer satisfaction with tractor tyres
- Tyre major MRF Ltd said it has bagged the top rank in terms of customer satisfaction in the J D Power 2018 India Tractor Tyre Satisfaction Index Study.
- The JD Power 2018 is the inaugural edition of the tyre satisfaction index. The recognition highlights the position of MRF in the market as the most preferred farm tyre brand among tractor owners.
Palestine took over the Chair of the Group of 77 (G-77) for 2019 from Egypt
- Palestine took over the chairmanship of the Group of 77 from Arab Republic of Egypt.
- In October 2018, the UN General Assembly approved a resolution enabling Palestine, a non-member Observer State at the world body, to have additional privileges and rights, such as participating in international conferences held under its auspices, for the duration of its role as G77 Chair.
PM Stefan Lofven elected for a second term in Sweden
- In Sweden, Prime Minister Stefan Lofven has been elected for a second term, ending a four-month political vacuum.
- Lofven's minority centre-left government, comprising his Social Democrats and the Greens, won the backing of the Centre and Liberal parties. It will be one of the weakest administrations in Sweden in 70 years, with just 32.7 per cent of voters having cast ballots for the two parties.
Saksham 2019 Launched by Petroleum Ministry in New Delhi
- Saksham’, an annual high intensity one-month long people-centric mega campaign of Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA) was launched by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Saksham’ Cycle Day in 200 cities, Cyclothons, Workshops for drivers of commercial vehicles, Nationwide campaign through Radio, TV, Digital Cinemas, Outdoor media etc. will be conducted, with a focus on reaching out to various segments of fuel users.
The 7th ASEAN-India Tourism Ministers meeting at Ha Long City, Vietnam
- Union Minister for tourism K J Alphons co-chaired the Tourism Ministers’ meeting with the Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Vietnam, Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Thien.
- The Ministers’ meeting noted the strengthened tourism performance of ASEAN and India in 2018 with preliminary numbers of 139.5 million tourist arrivals to ASEAN and India in the year with an increase of 7.4 per cent as compared to the previous year.