Daily Current Affairs - 27th Jan 2019
Assam Rifles Creates History by Showcasing “Nari Shakti” At Parade
- The all-women Assam Rifles contingent created history this year by participating for the first time in a Republic Day (26th January) parade. Contingents of the Navy, India Army Service Corps and a unit of Corps of Signals were all led by women officers.
- Capt Shikha Surabhi from the Corps of Signals became the first woman to perform bike stunts, alongside her male teammates as part of daredevils. Lt. Bhavana Kasturi, a lady officer, for the first time led a contingent of the India Army Service Corps and Capt Bhavna Syal, a third-generation officer in the armed forces, led the transportable satellite terminal’s contingent.
Direct taxes to exceed target of Rs 11.5 trillion in 2018-19: CBDT chairman
- The government will exceed the direct tax target of Rs 11.5 trillion in the financial year 2018-19, Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) Chairman Sushil Chandra said.
- This will either help the government in restricting fiscal deficit to 3.3 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP) as planned or assist in reducing fiscal slippage, in case that happens.
- In 2017-18, the revised estimate was higher than the Budget Estimate by 2.6 per cent. However, the growth in net direct tax collection slowed down in April-December 2018-19, at 13.6 per cent over the previous year, compared to 18.2 per cent in April-December 2017-18. Corporate income taxes grew 16 per cent, while personal income tax collection grew 14.8 per cent in April-December 2018-19.
Five day long ‘Bharat Parv’ begins at Red Fort, New Delhi
- ‘Bharat Parv’ event showcasing the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat began at Red Fort as part of the Republic Day 2019 Celebrations. Shri Satyajeet Rajan, Director General, Ministry of Tourism inaugurated the event today. The 4th edition of the Parv from 26th to 31st January 2019 is being organized by Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with other central Ministries and State Governments.
- The major highlights of this year are the replica of the Statue of Unity created by sculptor Shri. Ram Vanji Suttar and a Gandhi Gram in which 10 painting artists will create paintings on the theme of 'Ideology of Mahatma Gandhi'.
GroupM India restructures leadership team, appoints Prasanth Kumar as C0O
- The WPP-owned media agency GroupM South Asia has rejigged its leadership team with a new COO in Prasanth Kumar and Tushar Vyas as president for growth and transformation, with immediate effect. Kumar was chief executive at Mindshare, a GrouM subsidiary.
- The company has appointed Parthasarathy Mandayam as the chief executive of Mindshare South Asia, with effect from February 1 and Amin Lakhani as the chief operating officer for Mindshare South Asia, a newly created role.
Indians constitute largest number of tourists visiting Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan government has said that people to people contacts between India and Sri Lanka has increased considerably in past few years.
- Sri Lankan minister for Highways and petroleum development Kabir Hashim said that Indians constitute the largest number of tourists visiting Sri Lanka. He said, increased connectivity between the two neighbors has made it possible.
Jio Phone grabs top spot in handset market
- Reliance’s Jio Phone has emerged as the leader in the domestic handset market, cornering 21 per cent of it in 2018. About 290 million handsets were sold last year. This is the first time an Indian brand has ended a year at the top of the charts.
- Xiaomi has for the first time emerged as the leader in the smartphone market for a full calendar year. Samsung’s market share stood at 24 per cent, same as in 2017. The next three largest players — Vivo, Oppo and Micromax — also maintained the same market share in 2018, at 10 per cent, 8 per cent and 5 per cent, respectively.
KALIA scheme: Naveen government credits Rs 622 crore in farmers accounts
- The Naveen Patnaik government credited Rs 622.5 crore to the bank accounts of 1.24 million farmers. The direct cash transfer was done under the scheme titled 'KALIA' or Krushak Assistance for Livelihoods & Income Augmentation (KALIA) hailed by many as the best conceived programme for agrarian distress.
- Each of the beneficiary accounts got Rs 5000 as mandated in the scheme.
Malaysia scraps multi-billion-dollar China-backed rail project, citing high construction costs
- Malaysia has scrapped a multi-billion-dollar China-backed rail project, citing high construction costs. Minister of Economic Affairs, Azmin Ali said Malaysia does not have the financial ability at this time to bear the cost of the project.
- The 19.6 billion US dollars East Coast Rail Link would have connected the eastern and western coasts of the peninsula.
- Malaysia has, in recent months, suspended several major projects signed under the country's previous scandal-plagued regime, in a bid to cut the country's 251 billion US dollars debt.
Naomi Osaka wins Australian Open Grand Slam Singles title
- In Tennis, Japan's Naomi Osaka won her maiden Australian Open Grand Slam Singles title at Melbourne.
- In the Final, Osaka, seeded fourth, defeated eighth placed Czech Petra Kvitova, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 to become the first Asian player to achieve the world number one ranking.
- She surpassed Romania's Simona Halep at the top of the rankings and become the youngest number one since Caroline Wozniacki in 2010.
Nari Shakti is Oxford dictionary's Hindi word of the year 2018
- The Oxford Dictionaries announced ‘Nari Shakti’ as the Hindi Word of the Year. The Hindi Word of the Year chosen every year, reflects the conversations, ethos of a particular year. The word this year, Nari Shakti, has been derived from Sanskrit and when broken down, the word ‘nari’ means women and ‘shakti’ means power.
Nation celebrates its 70th Republic Day
- The nation celebrated its 70th Republic Day with a grand military parade and exhibition of its history, cultural diversity and strategic weaponry at Rajpath in New Delhi.
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa's presence as Chief Guest was significant in view of the parade highlighting Mahatma Gandhi's contribution to India's freedom struggle. Gandhiji had joined the struggle after a 21-year stay in South Africa.
- The President conferred the Ashoka Chakra India's highest peacetime gallantry award to Lance Naik Nazir Ahmad Wani.
Odisha CM announces Jiban Samparka Project
- The Chief Minister of Odisha announced the Jiban Sampark project of Odisha for the welfare of the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups at the annual Adivasi Mela-2019.
- The annual Adivasi Mela showcases the art, artefacts, culture, tradition, and music of the tribal community. The Adivasi Mela strengthen the livelihood of the tribal communities by creating a sustainable market and business opportunities for tribal artisans.
- The Jiban Sampark Project undertaken in association with UNICEF aims to generate awareness among Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG) in Odisha on various development and welfare initiatives of State Government, especially on women and child welfare.
Oscar-Winning French Composer Michel Legrand Passes Away
- Oscar-winning French composer Michel Legrand has passed away aged 86. During a career spanning more than half a century, Legrand won three Oscars. His first was in 1969 for the song ‘The Windmills of Your Mind’ from the film ‘The Thomas Crown Affair’.
- This was followed with Oscars for his music for ‘Summer of ’42’ in 1972 and for ‘Yentl’ in 1984. Legrand wrote over 200 film and TV scores, as well as songs.
Padma Awards 2019
- Padma Awards - one of the highest civilian Awards of the country, are conferred in three categories, namely, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri.
- This year the President of India has approved 4 Padma Vibhushan, 14 Padma Bhushan and 94 Padma Shri Awards.
- PADMA VIBHUSHAN (4)
S.No Name Field State 1. Ms. Teejan Bai Art-Vocals-Folk Chhattisgarh 2. Shri Ismail Omar Guelleh (Foreigner) Public Affairs Djibouti 3. Shri Anilkumar Manibhai Naik Trade & Industry-Infrastructure Maharashtra 4. Shri Balwant Moreshwar Purandare Art-Acting-Theatre Maharashtra
- PADMA BHUSHAN- (14)
S.No Name Field State 5. Shri John Chambers(Foreigner) Trade & Industry-Technology USA 6. Shri Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa Public Affairs Punjab 7. Shri Pravin Gordhan(Foreigner) Public Affairs South Africa 8. Shri Mahashay Dharam Pal Gulati Trade & Industry-Food Processing Delhi 9. Shri Darshan Lal Jain Social Work Haryana 10. Shri Ashok Laxmanrao Kukade Medicine-Affordable Healthcare Maharashtra 11. Shri Kariya Munda Public Affairs Jharkhand 12. Shri Budhaditya Mukherjee Art-Music-Sitar West Bengal 13. Shri Mohanlal Viswanathan Nair Art-Acting-Film Kerala 14. Shri S Nambi Narayan Science & Engineering-Space Kerala 15. Shri Kuldip Nayar (Posthumous) Literature & Education (Journalism) Delhi 16. Ms. Bachendri Pal Sports-Mountaineering Uttarakhand 17. Shri V K Shunglu Civil Service Delhi 18. Shri Hukumdev Narayan Yadav Public Affairs Bihar
Pranab Mukherjee, Nanaji Deshmukh Bhupen Hazarika awarded Bharat Ratna
- Pranab Mukherjee, India's 13th President has been awarded the Bharat Ratna, the country's highest civilian honour. Along with Mr Mukherjee, social activist Nanji Deshmukh and music maestro from Assam, Bhupen Hazarika, have been awarded posthumously.
- Nanaji Deshmukh played a crucial role in the social restructuring programme in 500 villages in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh.
- Dr Bhupen Hazarika, a music maestro from Assam is a recipient of Sangeet Natak Akademi Award, Padmashri and Padmabhushan. He was also awarded the Padma Vibhushan, the country's second-highest civilian honour, in 2012.
SBI Card and Etihad Guest Tie-up to Launch Premium Card For International Travel
- SBI Card and Etihad Guest, the loyalty programme of Etihad Airways, have joined hands to launch a travel-specific Visa credit card for members and Indian travellers.This is the first international co-brand partnership of SBI Card, the country’s second-largest credit card issuer.
- The card will be available in two variants, Etihad Guest SBI Card and Etihad Guest SBI Premier Card, will bring an unmatched value proposition to Etihad Guest members and international travellers from India.