Daily Current Affairs - 17th Mar 2019
18-yr-old Diksha 2nd Indian Golfer to Win Ladies European Tour
- 18-year-old Diksha Dagar has become the second Indian to win an event on Ladies European Tour after clinching South African Women’s Open in Cape Town. Aditi Ashok was the first Indian to win on the Ladies European Tour after clinching Hero Women’s Indian Open in Gurugram in 2016.
3rd Edition of Namaste Thailand Festival held in New Delhi
- The 3rd edition of Namaste Thailand festival, organized by the Royal Thai Embassy with an aim to strengthen bilateral ties and increase cultural exchange between India and Thailand, began at Select Citywalk in New Delhi.
- The festival will feature stage performances by Thai artists.
Amitabh Kant To Head Transformative Mobility Panel
- Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant will head the National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage, which is being set up to promote clean and sustainable mobility initiatives in the country.
- The terms of reference of the mission include ensuring implementation and compliance of the decisions and recommendations of the steering committee.
Aviva Life Insurance launches Special Mentorship Programme ‘Wings’
- Aviva Life Insurance announced the launch of ‘Wings’, a specially designed mentorship program to empower the female workforce. Wings program is an initiative of the SHEdivision of Aviva Life Insurance for mentoring all the women employees in Aviva. SHE was started in 2016 by Aviva India’s Women Network.
Climate Vulnerability Index Highest for Assam And Mizoram
- Indian scientists have developed a common framework for the assessment of climate change vulnerability in all the states in the Himalayan region. The assessment shows that the vulnerability index is the highest for Assam (0.72) and Mizoram (0.71).
- Sikkim is the least vulnerable state with the index being 0.42. Professor NH Ravindranath from IISc, Bangalore, stated that the framework can be applied to states in the rest of the country as well, with suitable modifications.
First BRICS Sherpa meeting under Presidency of Brazil concludes successfully
- The first BRICS Sherpa meeting under the Presidency of Brazil concluded at Curitiba in Brazil. Secretary, Economic Relations in the Ministry of External Affairs, T S Tirumurti led the Indian delegation at the two-day meeting.
- During the meeting, India conveyed its support for the priority areas set out by Brazil, particularly to take forward BRICS cooperation on counter terrorism in a meaningful and concrete manner with BRICS member countries.
HDFC Bank joins Reliance Industries, TCS in $100-billion m-cap club
- Private sector lender HDFC Bank has joined the $100-billion market capitalisation (M-cap) club. Including the value of its American depository receipts (ADRs), the Mumbai-based lender’s market value currently is $101.6 billion.
- Only Reliance Industries (M-cap $123 billion) and Tata Consultancy Services ($108 billion) have higher market value. At fourth and fifth place are consumer goods companies Hindustan Unilever and ITC, with market cap of $55 billion and $53 billion, respectively.
- India now has three companies in the global top 100 list in terms of market value. Reliance Industries (RIL) ranks 72, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is at 86 and HDFC Bank at 99.
India Energy Modelling Forum
- Niti Ayog in association with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) organized the first workshop on the development of the India Energy Modelling Forum (IEMF). The workshop was organized under the Sustainable Growth Pillar of the India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership.
- India-U.S. Strategic Energy Partnership affirms the strategic importance of energy cooperation to the U.S.-India bilateral relationship and sets the stage for deeper and more meaningful engagements through government and industry channels.
- The Strategic Energy Partnership elevates the role of energy in advancing shared goals, including universal energy access, strengthened energy security and increased energy efficiency.
Jaiprakash Associates re-appoints Manoj Gaur as Exec Chairman, CEO
- Debt-ridden Jaiprakash Associates Ltd (JAL) said its board has approved the re-appointment of its promoter Manoj Gaur as Executive Chairman and CEO for 3 years with effect from April 1.
- The Board has also approved re-appointment of Sunil Kumar Sharma as Executive Vice-Chairman for 3 years with effect from March 18, 2019.
Nepal defeats Bangladesh in 5th SAFF Women's Championship
- Nepal has defeated Bangladesh in 5th South Asian Football Federation, SAFF Women's Championship.
- In the last match of Group A in Biratnagar, hosts Nepal beat Bangladesh by 3-0. Both the teams have booked spots in semifinal from Group A.
- Nepal secured top position in the Group by winning both the matches and Bangladesh got second place by defeating Bhutan.
- Defending Champion India and Sri Lanka have also entered into the semifinal from Group B by winning their previous match against the Maldives.
PM Modi launches Main Bhi Chowkidar campaign
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged people to take 'Main Bhi Chowkidar' pledge, saying he is not alone in the fight against graft and social evils.
- In a tweet, Mr. Modi said, he is standing firm and serving the nation, and everyone who is fighting against corruption, dirt, social evils and working hard for the progress of India is a Chowkidar.
President Kovind inaugurates Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated the Festival of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at Grambharti near Gandhinagar in Gujarat and also presented the 10th Biennial National Grassroots Innovation Awards on this occasion.
- Mr. Prakash Singh Raghuvanshi of Uttar Pradesh got life time achievement award for his innovations in new varieties of agriculture crops. The first prize in Veterinary, Herbal medication for coccidiosis was received by Periyasami Ramasami of Tamil Nadu.
RBI issues guidelines to prevent market abuse
- The Reserve Bank of India has come out with guidelines to prevent misuse of price-sensitive information by participants in markets for financial instruments.
- The RBI said market participants, either acting independently or in collusion, shall not undertake any action with the intention to manipulate the calculation of a benchmark rate or a reference rate.
- About regulatory action on market abuse, the RBI said market participants who are indulging in any such activity are liable to be denied access to markets in one or more instruments for a period that may not exceed one month at a time.
- These directions would exclude transactions executed through the recognized stock exchanges and not apply to banks and the central government in furtherance of monetary policy, fiscal policy or other public policy objectives.
RCB partners with an Israeli sports tech firm to engage fans
- Ahead of the upcoming 2019 Indian Premier League (IPL) season, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) has collaborated with an Israeli firm for building a technology platform to engage with the fans and also get an edge over its rivals.
- Virat Kohli-led RCB has formed the strategic collaboration with Israel-based Interacting Technology Sports to place the fans at centre stage and unite them on an innovative digital community platform.
Special Olympics: India bags 70 medals
- In Special Olympics, India have bagged 70 medals including 18 golds, 22 silver and 30 bronze, so far, at Abu Dhabi.
- In Roller Skating, Supreet Singh from Haryana in 1000-meter, Rishabh Jain from New Delhi in 1000-meter and Priya Prakash Gada from Maharashtra in 100-meter won a Gold Medal each. Amanjot Singh won gold in the squat contest after lifting 385kg.
- Indian roller skaters bagged a staggering 29 medals comprising nine golds, 13 silver and two bronze. The powerlifters of India also found the podium 23 times by the end of the second day of competitions.
- The cyclists fetched two yellow metals while the judokas brought in two more gold medals. The athletics and swimming contingents, who are competing in Dubai, were also successful in winning eight medals.
Swati Shingade bags first prize of DD Mahila Kisan Award
- Swati Shingade of Pune, Maharashtra has bagged the first prize of DD Mahila Kisan Award for 2018-19.
- Prasar Bharati Chairman A Surya Prakash gave away the award to Ms Shingade at a grand finale event organised by DD Kisan Channel in New Delhi.
- As many as 110 women farmers participated in the award competition, out which five were selected for the grand finale.
Tata, Reliance and Airtel Emerge Best Indian Brands Of 2019
- Tata, Reliance, and Airtel emerged as the top three Indian brands of 2019, according to a report published by Interbrand, part of the Omnicom Media Group.
- Tata continued to hold the top position in the best Indian Brands ranking as its brand value grew by 6%, mainly due to Tata Consultancy Services (TCS). Knocking Airtel off from the 2nd spot, Reliance’s brand value grew by 12%, bolstered by the success of Jio. Airtel stood at number 3.