Daily Current Affairs - 23rd Mar 2019
Canara Bank issues bonds to raise up to $400 mn via London branch
- State-owned Canara Bank had launched a bond issuance programme through its London branch to raise up to $400 million (about ?2,750 crore). These bonds are set to mature on March 28, 2024. The funds raised will be utilised for deploying in long-term assets by the bank’s foreign branches.
Employment generation in formal sector touched 17-month high: EPFO
- The Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) in its latest released payroll data has said that the net employment generation in the formal sector touched a 17-month high of 8.96 lakh in January, 2019.
- This addition in January was 131 per cent higher as compared with 3.87 lakh EPFO subscribers added in the year-ago month.
- The EPFO manages social security funds of workers in the organised and semi organised sector in India and has more than 6 crore active members.
Fitch cuts India GDP growth forecast for FY20 to 6.8%
- Fitch Ratings had cut India’s economic growth forecast for the next financial year starting April 1, to 6.8% from its previous estimate of 7%, on weaker than expected momentum in the economy.
- The rating agency has also cut growth forecasts for FY20 and FY21 to 7% from 7.3% and 7.1 per cent from 7.3%, respectively.
Govt exceeds disinvestment target for current fiscal by Rs 5,000 cr
- The Union Government has exceeded the disinvestment target for the current fiscal by five thousand crore rupees. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said as against a disinvestment target of 80 thousand crore rupees for this fiscal, the divestment receipts have touched 85 thousand crore rupees.
India clinch SAFF Women's C'ship for fifth time
- India has clinched the SAFF Women's Championship for the fifth time in a row, defeating hosts Nepal 3-1 in the final at Biratnagar. This was India's 23rd straight victory in the championship since its inception in 2010.
India gold demand eases as traders defer buying
- The demand for physical gold moderated this week in India as many jewellers held off on purchases ahead of the end of the country's financial year to pay off advance taxes. Gold imports in February fell 10.81 percent from the same period last year to $2.58 billion.
- Dealers in the country were charging a premium of up to $1.5 an ounce over official domestic prices, down from last week's $2 level. The domestic price includes a 10 percent import tax.
India to take on Japan in opening encounter of Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- Indian men's hockey team will take on the Asian Games gold medalists Japan in their opening encounter at the 28th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup at Ipoh in Malaysia. Malaysia, Canada, Poland, Japan and Korea are the other teams participating in the tournament this year.
- Australia clinched last year's title.
Indian Air Force to participate in LIMA 2019
- Indian Air Force will participate in Langkawi International Maritime Aero Expo, LIMA 2019. The expo will take place in Langkawi, Malaysia from 26th to 30th of this month. Indian Air Force will showcase its indigenously developed LCA fighter aircraft.
- This Participation of IAF will provide an opportunity to air-warriors to interact with their Royal Malaysian Air Force counterparts and foster close relationship between the two services.
IPL: Chennai to clash with Bangalore in opening match
- Indian Premier League (IPL) will begin on Saturday. In the opening game, defending champions Chennai Super Kings will take on Royal Challengers, Bangalore in Chennai. Indian cricket star MS Dhoni is leading Chennai while Virat Kohli is leading Bangalore teams.
Mandhana, Jhulan continue to top the charts in ICC Women's ODI Rankings
- Indian duo of Smriti Mandhana and Jhulan Goswami continue to top the batting and bowling charts in the latest ICC Women's ODI Player Rankings.
- Mandhana, with 797 points tops the batters list while Goswami leads the bowlers list with 730 points.
- India's ODI skipper Mithali Raj is static at the fourth place with 713 points.
NSEIT acquires cybersecurity company Aujas
- NSEIT, the IT-services focused subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange has acquired Aujas Networks Ltd., a company which provides information security consulting and IT risk management services.
- Aujas Networks service portfolio includes information risk advisory, identity & access management, threat management and security analytics.
- NSEIT currently provides technology solutions across industries such as capital markets, financial markets, banking and insurance.
- CEO & MD, NSEIT: N Muralidharan
Pakistan to receive over 2 billion US Dollars loan from China
- Cash-strapped Pakistan will receive over 2 billion US Dollars loan from China to provide a boost to its ailing economy. Earlier Pakistan has received 1 billion US dollars each from Saudi Arabia and the UAE, as part of the bailout packages by the two Gulf nations to help shore up Islamabad's dwindling foreign currency reserves.
- Pakistan is also in talks with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for a bailout package. Pakistan is seeking around 8 billion US dollars from the IMF.
President Kovind to visit Croatia, Bolivia and Chile from Mar 25
- President Ram Nath Kovind will visit Croatia, Bolivia and Chile from 25th of this month to 2nd of April. Mr Kovind will meet his Croatian counterpart and Prime Minister of Croatia and discuss the issues of mutual interest.
- In Bolivia, the President will hold restricted and delegation level talks with his counterpart. He will participate in India-Bolivia business forum meeting and interact with students.
- On the last leg of his visit, Mr Kovind will reach Chile and will hold talks with Chile Counterpart and discuss issues of mutual interest. Improving Trade and Economic relations will be on the agenda.
SBI raises Rs.1,251 crore by issuing Basel III-compliant bonds
- The country's largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has raised ?1,251.30 crore by issuing Basel III-compliant bonds to boost its additional Tier 1 capital ratio. The unsecured bonds allotted to investors are non-convertible, taxable, perpetual and are Basel lll-compliant for inclusion in additional Tier 1 capital.
- The bonds with a face value of Rs.10 lakh each bears a coupon rate of 9.45% per annum payable annually with call option after 5 years or any anniversary date thereafter.
World Water Day observed on 22 March
- World Water Day is celebrated every year on March 22nd. The theme for World Water Day 2019 is ‘Leaving no one behind’ .
- In the year 1992, March 22 was first officially added in the schedule 21 of United Nations Conference on Environment and Development as World Water Day in the Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.