Daily Current Affairs - 02nd May 2019
Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria takes over as Vice Chief of Air Staff
- Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria took over as Vice Chief of the Air Staff.
- He has over 4250 hours of experience on twenty-six types of fighters and transport aircraft with the unique distinction of being an Experimental Test Pilot, a Cat ‘A’ Qualified Flying Instructor and a Pilot Attack Instructor.
Apurvi Chandela attains world number one spot in women's 10 m air rifle event
- Indian shooting ace Apurvi Chandela attained the world number one position in the women's 10 metres air rifle event while compatriot Anjum Moudgil rose to number two after consistent performances in recent years.
- The rifle ace from Jaipur is among the five Indian shooters to have already secured 2020 Olympics quotas for the country.
GST collections touch all-time high of over Rs 1.13 lakh crore in April
- The Goods and Services Tax, GST collection scaled all-time high of over 1.13 lakh crore rupees last month, up from 1.06 lakh crore rupees in the previous month.
- The Finance Ministry in a statement said, out of the total gross GST revenue collected in April, Central GST is 21, 163 crore rupees, State GST is 28, 801 crore rupees, Integrated GST is 54, 733 crore and cess is 9,168 crore rupees.
Indo-French naval exercise begins
- The first part of the Indo-French joint naval exercise,Varuna 19.1, began off the Goa coast on and will continue till May 10.
- The Varuna exercise aims at developing interoperability between the two navies and fostering mutual cooperation by learning from each other’s best practices to conduct joint operations.
International Labour Day is observed on May 1
- International Labor Day or Workers day is observed annually on 1 May. It is also known as May Day.
- The day was promoted by the international labor movement, socialists and communists. The theme of International Labor Day 2019 is“Sustainable Pension for all: The Role of Social Partners”.
Iraq remains top oil supplier to India
- Iraq has, for the second year in a row, become India’s top crude oil supplier, meeting more than a fifth of the country’s oil needs in 2018-19 fiscal year.
- According to data sourced from the Directorate General of Commercial Intelligence and Statistics, Iraq sold 46.61 million tonnes (mt) of crude oil to India during April 2018 and March 2019, 2% more than 45.74 mt it had supplied in 2017-18 fiscal.
Japan's new Emperor Naruhito ascends throne
- Naruhito took the throne after Akihito's abdication, the first in more than 200 years.
- New Emperor of Japan Naruhito said, he would always stand with the people of the country, as he prayed for world peace in his first address to the nation after ascending the Chrysanthemum Throne.
Nasscom partners with GE healthcare for health-tech innovation
- Technology services industry body Nasscom has partnered with GE Healthcare to encourage startups to work on digital healthcare solutions in India.
- Through its Center of Excellence on internet of things (CoE-IOT), Nasscom has entered into a strategic partnership with the company to boost the start-up ecosystem in the country and work with them to bring digital healthcare solutions.
OYO to acquire the @Leisure Group
- Hospitality firm OYO has agreed to acquire Amsterdam-based vacation rental company @Leisure Group from Axel Springer for an estimated $415 million (over Rs. 2,885 crore).
- The @Leisure Group is a vacation rental company in Europe and manages holiday homes, holiday parks and holiday apartments.
Raheem Sterling named 2019 FWA footballer of the year
- Raheem Sterling has been named the 2019 footballer of the year by the Football Writers' Association (FWA). The Manchester City and England forward topped the poll of the 400-strong FWA membership as a clear winner, with 62 percent of the votes.
Russia President Vladimir Putin signs into law a sovereign internet bill
- Russia President Vladimir Putin signed into law a sovereign internet bill which will allow Russian authorities to isolate the country's internet, a move decried by rights groups.
- The measures include creating technology to monitor internet routing and to steer Russian internet traffic away from foreign servers, ostensibly to prevent a foreign country from shutting it down.
SBI’s new rules on saving accounts and short-term loans effective from May 1
- State Bank of India (SBI) has moved to a new interest rate regime on large savings account deposits with balance above Rs 1 lakh as well as short-term loans like overdraft and cash credit.
- In March, SBI had announced that it would be linking its savings deposits rates and short-term loans to the RBI's repo rate from May 1 with an aim to ensure faster monetary transmission. It is the first bank in the country to adopt an external benchmark rate to the fixed rates.
UDS Acquires Majority Stake In Matrix Business Services
- Facilities management provider UDS has acquired a majority stake in Matrix Business Services, which operates in the business assurance and background verification segment.
- This acquisition includes buying out the entire 19.77% stake of Kotak Mahindra Investments and 2.67% of Mahindra & Mahindra Contech and the balance 52.56% from other shareholders, mainly from all non-executive shareholders.
UN designates Masood Azhar as global terrorist
- In a huge diplomatic win for India, the United Nations designated Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar as a "global terrorist" after China lifted its hold on a proposal to blacklist him.
- A "global terrorist"designation will subject Azhar to an assets freeze, travel ban and an arms embargo.
UPI volume dips 2% to 782 mn in April, value of transactions up 6%: NPCI
- The volume of transactions through the Unified Payments Interface (UPI) — the government’s flagship payments platform — dipped marginally by 2 per cent on a monthly basis in April. However, the value of such transactions rose 6 per cent, shows data by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- The volume was 782 million in April, against nearly 800 million in March. At the same time, the value stood at Rs 1.42 trillion in April, against Rs 1.33 trillion in March.