Daily Current Affairs - 13th May 2019
63.5% turnout in sixth phase
- An overall tentative turnout of 63.5% was reported from the 59 constituencies in six States and the Union Territory of Delhi on Sunday in the penultimate phase of Lok Sabha elections that concluded. The turnout in 2014 stood at 63.67%.
Annu Raj Singh finishes seventh in Hannover
- Olympian Annu Raj Singh shot 572 to make women’s air pistol final, but a string of 9s and the odd 7 and 8 saw her finish seventh in the International Shooting Competition of Hannover in Germany. Annu had earlier won the mixed air pistol gold with Anmol Jain. She was the only Indian among more than a dozen Indian shooters to make the air pistol final.
City retains Premier League in style
- Manchester City retained the Premier League title in style, holding its nerve to come from behind against Brighton and see off a charging Liverpool after a thrilling campaign. Manchester thumped Brighton 4-1 away to finish on 98 points, the second-highest total in Premier League history.
Harmanpreet Kaur fireworks help Supernovas clinch Women's T20 Challenge title
- Captain Harmanpreet Kaur struck a sensational half century as Supernovas clinched the Women's T20 Challenge title with a four-wicket win over Velocity in a dramatic summit clash. The Supernovas overhauled the target off the last delivery of the run chase, reaching 125 for 6 from 20 overs.
IMF to loan Pak. $6 billion over 3 years
- Pakistan will get $6 billion from the IMF over the next three years to meet its foreign debt obligations, This deal comes after months of negotiations over what will be Pakistan’s 22nd bailout aimed at staving off a potential balance-of-payments crisis.
Indian racer Jehan Daruvala wins inaugural round of FIA Formula 3 Championship
- Young Indian racer Jehan Daruvala, driving for Prema Racing, won the inaugural round of the FIA Formula 3 Championship, one of the support events to Formula One in Barcelona. Jehan is the only Indian to win a Grand Prix when he won the New Zealand Grand Prix and later went on to become the only Indian to win a race in the erstwhile FIA F3 European Championship, which used slower cars.
International kabaddi league from today
- Haryana Heroes will lock horns with Pune Pride to kick off the inaugural Indo International Premier Kabaddi League. Eight franchisees will be battling it out for the championship title along with a total prize purse of Rs. 4 crore over a period of 23 days.
Jos Buttler stars as England wins second ODI
- England clung on to win an action-packed second one-day international against Pakistan by 12 runs in Southampton. England were powered to 373-3 by Jos Buttler's spectacular 50-ball century, the second-fastest by an England batsman in ODIs.
Madrid Open: Novak Djokovic beats Stefanos Tsitsipas to win third title
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia beat Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece 6-3, 6-4 to win his third Madrid Open title. Djokovic raced into a 3-0 lead in the opening set after breaking the 20-year-old Greek in the second game.
Mumbai beat Chennai by one run to win record 4th IPL title
- Mumbai Indians became IPL champions for the fourth time after defeating Chennai Super Kings by one run in a thrilling final in Hyderabad. Last ball dismissal of Shardul Thakur by paceman Lasith Malinga registered final win for Mumbai over Chennai.
Political will to fight climate change is fading, warns UN chief
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said the political will to fight climate change has faded at the same time as it is getting worse for those feeling its effects. He said that the countries are not following commitments under the 2016 Paris Agreement which expects them to keep the global temperature rise to below two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.
Post-Fani, Odisha CM seeks special category status
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has demanded special category status from the Centre after Cyclone Fani, saying the State faces natural calamities almost every year. He said a special category status was the need of the hour due to the massive loss to infrastructure which may stall growth of the State.
Representatives of Election Management bodies from across world witness LS polls
- Heads and Representatives of 20 Election Management Bodies from across the World have arrived in New Delhi to witness the ongoing Lok Sabha elections. The countries include Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Fiji, Georgia, Kenya, South Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Mexico, Myanmar, Romania, Russia, Srilanka, United Arab Emirates and Zimbabwe.
Social media plays key role in influencing first-time voters: Report
- A survey conducted by a digital marketing company has claimed that nearly one-third of the first-time voters were influenced by political messages on social media platforms in this election. As many as half the 15-crore first-time voters received political messages through various social media platforms.
Trump Warns China, strike trade deal now or it will be far worse after 2020
- US President Donald Trump has warned China to strike a trade deal with the United States now, otherwise, an agreement would far worse for them if it has to be negotiated in his second term.
Vedanta gets initial clearance for 274 hydrocarbon wells in T.N., Puducherry
- The Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) has granted the Terms of Reference (ToR) to Vedanta Ltd’s Cairn Oil & Gas, to carry out Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) for drilling a total of 274 offshore and onshore oil and gas exploration wells in the Bay of Bengal, Nagapattinam, Karaikal, Villupuram and Puducherry.
Vishnu loses doubles final
- Vishnu Vardhan and Toshihide Matsui of Japan lost in the doubles final to top seeds Cheng-Peng Hsieh and Christopher Rungkat in the $162,480 Challenger. The champion team collected 125 ATP points and $9,300. Vishnu and Matsui had to settle for 75 points and $5,400.