Daily Current Affairs - 09th Jun 2019
'Gandhi Cycle Rally for Peace' organized in Saudi Arabia
- To mark the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Embassy in Saudi organized ‘Gandhi Cycle Rally for Peace’ in association with the Diplomatic Quarter Authority and Saudi Cycling Federation.
- The rally was flagged off by Dr. Ausaf Sayeed, Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- The Cycle Rally was part of the series of events organized globally by the Government of India to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
Cabinet approved new initiative to control FMD and Brucellosis
- Union Cabinet has approved new initiative (scheme) to control Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) and Brucellosis to support the livestock rearing farmers and improve the health of animals.
- This initiative aims to fully control these diseases amongst livestock in the country in next five years and subsequently eradicate these diseases. Cabinet has cleared a total outlay of Rs. 13,343 crores for this scheme and entire cost will be now borne by Central Government.
Donald Trump calls off plan to impose tariffs on Mexico
- US President Donald Trump says he has suspended plans to impose tariffs on Mexico, as the country has agreed to take strong measures to stem the flow of Central American migrants into the United States.
- President Trump said Mexico has agreed to work to stem the tide of Migration through Mexico, and to US Southern Border. He said these steps would greatly reduce, or eliminate, Illegal Immigration coming from Mexico and into the United States.
- According to a US-Mexico Joint Declaration released by the State Department, the US said it will work to greatly expand a program that returns asylum-seekers who cross the southern border to Mexico while their claims are adjudicated.
Forex reserves swell by $1.8 bn to $421.8 bn
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves increased by USD 1.875 billion to USD 421.867 billion in the week ending 31st May 2019.
- Reserve Bank weekly data released showed that foreign currency assets, which is a major component of the overall reserves, rose by USD 1.946 billion to USD 394.134 billion.
Former CEC Gopalaswami named BCCI's electoral officer for AGM
- Former Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami has been appointed as an electoral officer for the BCCI's Annual General Meeting.
- The Committee of Administrators (CoA) had last month announced that the long-awaited elections of the BCCI will be held on 22nd October.
- The CoA, which was appointed by the Supreme Court in January 2017 to oversee the sweeping reforms recommended by the Lodha panel, met in Mumbai at the BCCI headquarters to discuss the road map for the elections.
G20 Ministerial meeting on Trade and Digital Economy
- G20 Ministerial meeting on Trade and Digital Economy is being held from 8 June- 9 June 2019 in Japanese city of Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan. Tsukuba is Japan’s one of main academic and research centers.
- Two days meet was chaired by Masatoshi Ishida, Japanese Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications and Hiroshige Seko, Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry. Indian delegation for G20 Ministerial meeting on Trade and Digital Economy is being led by Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways.
- This is for first time that Ministers of Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Union Ministry of Commerce (MCA) will participate in a joint session on Digital Economy at G20 Ministerial Meeting.
Govt notifies extension of PM-KISAN scheme to all farmers
- The government has notified its decision to extend the benefit of six thousand rupees per year to eligible farmers under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme. The decision will benefit all 14.5 crore farmers, irrespective of the size of their landholding, in the country.
- PM-KISAN scheme was announced in the interim budget, under which the government decided to provide 6,000 rupees per year to about 12.5 crore small and marginal farmers. Now, the revised scheme is expected to cover two crore more farmers with an estimated expenditure of over 87 thousand crore rupees in the current financial year.
I&B Ministry institutes Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) has instituted a new award called Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman (AYDMS) from year 2019 to recognize contribution made by media in spreading awareness about Yoga and for promotion and commemoration of International Yoga Day, held every year on 21 June.
- Antarashtriya Yoga Diwas Media Samman will be conferred to Media Houses engaged in Print Media and Electronic Media (including Television & Radio).
Indian archers’ bag four berths for Tokyo Paralympics
- Indian archers secured two quota places each in the recurve and compound sections for next year's Tokyo Paralympics after dishing out superb performances at the World Para Championships in the Netherlands.
- Punjabi University's Harvinder Singh and Uttar Pradesh's Vivek Chhikara finished joint ninth to bag the two available berths in the recurve men's open section.
- In the compound men's open category, Jammu's Rakesh Kumar was first to qualify, he was later joined by Rajasthan's Shyam Sundar Swami after his joint ninth finish.
Jammu and Kashmir govt appoints RK Chibber as interim chief of J&K Bank
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has removed J&K Bank Chairman Parvez Ahmad and appointed RK Chibber as interim chairman of the lender. Parvez Ahmad, Chairman cum Managing Director, shall cease to be Director on the Board of Directors of the Bank and consequently be no longer the Chairman cum Managing Director of the board.
Main event of International Yoga Day celebrations to be held in Ranchi
- The main event of International Day of Yoga 2019 celebrations will be held at Prabhat Tara in Ranchi on 21st of this month. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lead the main function.
- Jharkhand government has planned to celebrate the day in grand manner by organising a week-long programme starting June 15.
- This year International Yoga Day of 21st June of Ranchi would be ecofriendly, and hence Khadi Yoga Mat would be used, in place of the usual rubber mat. From 15th June, a weeklong event will start with 'Run for Yoga', that would culminate on 21st June International Yoga Day.
Maldives to confer its highest award ‘Nishan Izzuddin’ on PM Modi
- Maldives will confer ‘Nishan Izzuddin’ award on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It is the highest award to honour foreign nationals.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will arrive in Male on the first leg of his two-nation tour to the Maldives and Sri Lanka. This will also be the first bilateral visit to the Maldives of an Indian Prime Minister after 2011.
RBI imposes Rs 2 crore penalty on Kotak Mahindra Bank
- The RBI has slapped a penalty of Rs. 2 crores on Kotak Mahindra Bank for the non-state lender’s failure to adhere to the regulator’s diktat on promoter shareholding.
- The central bank has been engaged in a dispute with Kotak Mahindra since 2014 over its failure to meet the milestone for stake reduction by Uday Kotak, the billionaire promoter of the bank.
Theresa May officially steps down as leader of Conservative Party
- British Prime Minister Theresa has officially stepped down as the leader of the Conservative Party but will remain as Prime Minister until her successor is chosen.
- May has been Prime Minister for nearly three years since she took over from David Cameron in the wake of the June 2016 Brexit referendum. The UK was originally meant to leave the European Union on 29 March but that was then pushed back to 12 April and eventually 31 October.
US hits Iran's largest petrochemical group with sanctions
- United States has hit Iran's petrochemical group PGPIC with economic sanctions due to its ties with the country's Revolutionary Guards. The Treasury Department said the move aims to choke off financing to the country's largest and most profitable petrochemical group and extends to its 39 subsidiaries and foreign-based sales agents.
- The PGPIC group holds 40 per cent of Iran's total petrochemical production capacity and is responsible for 50 percent of the country's petrochemical exports.
USA defeat Mexico 9-0 to register 2nd win in FIH Series Finals
- The United States continued its fine form and spanked Mexico 9-0 to register its second consecutive win at the FIH Series Finals Hockey Tournament in a Pool-B match in Bhubaneswar.
- USA had earlier stunned South Africa 2-0 in the tournament opener on Thursday, while Mexico had slumped to a 1-3 defeat against Asian Games champion Japan.
World Oceans Day: 8th June
- World Oceans Day takes place every 8 June. We celebrate World Oceans Day to remind everyone of the major role the oceans have in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe. The theme of World Oceans Day 2019 is ‘Gender and the Ocean’.