Daily Current Affairs - 30th Jun 2019
29 June: National Statistics Day
- National Statistics Day is observed every year on 29 June to popularize use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitize public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies. 2019 is the 13th edition of National Statistics Day.
- Theme for 2019 National Statistics Day- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- National Statistics Day is celebrated annually on occasion of Birth anniversary of India’s eminent statistician, Late Prof Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis, in recognition of his invaluable contribution in establishing National Statistical System.
China proposes 5G partnership with India, Russia
- The rift between China and the United States over 5G technology exports to India sharpened, when Chinese President Xi Jinping pitched for a partnership with New Delhi and Moscow for expanding a joint footprint in cyberspace.
- In his remarks at the Russia-India-China (RIC) trilateral on the sidelines of the G20 summit in Osaka, President Xi urged the three countries, in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Vladimir Putin, to “expand cooperation in 5G network, high technology, connectivity, energy and other areas,” Xinhua reported. He also called for reforming the World Trade Organisation (WTO), based on consensus.
China, US agree at Xi-Trump meeting to restart trade talks
- US President Donald Trump and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping have agreed to re-launch the stalled negotiations to end the trade war.
- The move came as Mr Trump held a lengthy meeting with the Chinese President on the sidelines of the G-20 summit at Osaka in Japan.
- According to the Chinese state media, during the meeting, the US said it will not add new tariffs on Chinese exports. It said the negotiating teams from the two countries are to discuss specific issues.
Former India leg-spinner Rakesh Shukla passes away
- Rakesh Shukla, former India leg-spinner, passed away in Delhi. He had represented Delhi and Bihar in First-Class cricket and earned his Test cap against Sri Lanka in 1982.
- Shukla played 121 first class matches, claimed 295 wickets and aggregated 3798 runs.
G-20 nations resolve to work together for global economic growth
- G-20 nations have agreed to make united efforts to address major global economic challenges. The countries have affirmed to work together to foster global economic growth while harnessing the power of technological innovation, in particular digitization and its application for the benefits of all.
- The summit also resolved to prevent the use of Internet to fund and facilitate terrorism and extremism, asserting that while the Internet must be open, free and secure it cannot serve as a safe haven for terrorists.
- The Prime Minister met the presidents of Indonesia and Brazil separately and discussed ways to boost bilateral ties and enhance cooperation in trade and investment.
- During his meeting with Indonesian President Joko Widodo, the two countries set an ambitious 50 billion Dollars target for bilateral trade by 2025. Prime Minister Modi met with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and held talks on a host of key issues including trade and investment, defence and counter-terrorism.
India abstains from voting on Torture Goods
- India has abstained from voting on United Nation General Assembly (UNGA’s) resolution aimed at examining options to end trade in goods which are used for capital punishment and torture. India stated that it is unacceptable to place death penalty on par with torture that it firmly believes that freedom from torture is a human right which must be respected and protected under all circumstances.
- The resolution was adopted by 193 member assembly with a recorded vote of 81 in favour, 20 against, and 44 abstentions.
India sign Rs.200 crore deal with Russia to acquire Strum Ataka
- India has signed Rs.200 crore deal with Russia for acquiring Strum Ataka anti-tank missile for its fleet of Mi-35 attack choppers of Indian Air Force (IAF). This deal comes in wake of an IAF’s attempt to keep itself battle-ready in situations like post-Balakot aerial strikes.
- This Rs.200 crore deal for Strum Ataka anti-tank missile would give an added capability to Mi-35 attack choppers of IAF to take out enemy tanks and other armoured elements.
International Asteroid Day: 30 June
- The United Nations observe 30 June as International Asteroid Day. The day is celebrated to raise public awareness about the asteroid impact hazard and to inform the public about the crisis communication actions to be taken at the global level in case of a credible near-Earth object threat.
International Day of Parliamentarism: 30 June
- The United Nations observe 30 June as the International Day of Parliamentarism. This day celebrates parliaments and the ways in which parliamentary systems of government improve the day to day lives of people around the world.
- This day also acknowledges the formation of the Inter Parliamentary Union, the global organization of parliaments which was established in 1889.
Malayalam director Babu Narayanan passes away
- Malayalam director Babu Narayanan passes away. He directed several Malayalam hits such as ‘Kudumba Vishesham’ and ‘Welcome to Kodaikanal’.
- Babu Narayanan was also part of the Anil-Babu duo that made several box office hits like Sthreedhanam, Pattabhishekam.
NALCO to get President’s award for excellent CSR in social development
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO), an Odisha-based Navaratna Company has been selected for President’s award for utilisation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) fund in social development. NALCO was selected for its Aliali Jhia Scheme.
- In 2015 NALCO started a scheme called Aliali Jhia. The scheme was on the line of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao to adapt and promote the poor and talented girls for education. It aimed to promote the education of Girls of BPL (Below Poverty Line) families.
Over Six lakh handloom workers enrolled under Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana since 2016-17.
- Over Six lakh 29 thousand handloom workers across the country have been enrolled under the Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana since 2016-17.
- Of them, six thousand have been provided insurance benefits in the case of natural death, accidental death, total and partial disability during the last three years, according to officials in the Ministry of Textiles.
- The Centre is providing 90 per cent subsidy for purchase of looms, 10 per cent subsidy on cotton, domestic silk, woollen to encourage handloom weavers.
Rahul Dravid to takes Head of Cricket
- Former India captain and junior coach Rahul Dravid will move to a bigger cricketing role he will take charge of the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore on a two-year contract.
- As NCA’s Head of Cricket, Dravid will groom the next generation of cricketers and chart out a roadmap for junior cricket. He will also monitor the upcoming women cricketers besides appointing the coaching staff at NCA and the zonal cricket academies. The batting great will also spearhead NCA’s rehab programme for the injured cricketers.
Roll out 'one nation, one ration card' by June 2020: Govt to states, UTs
- Government is all set to implement one nation-one ration card scheme across the country by the end of June 2020.
- The new mechanism will ensure that no poor person is deprived of Public Distribution System, PDS entitlement if the person shifts from one place to another. Mr Paswan said, the system will also help to remove fake ration card holders.
- Ten states - Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana and Tripura are already providing portability of PDS entitlements.
Russia, Saudi Arabia agree to extend deal to keep oil production low owing to abundant world supplies
- Russia and Saudi Arabia have agreed to extend a deal to keep oil production low owing to abundant world supplies. After a G20 summit in Osaka, Russian President Vladimir Putin said the extension might be for six or nine months.
- The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, a cartel of 14 countries pumping one third of the world's oil, is holding a high-stakes meeting in Vienna. The meeting comes against a background of ample global crude supplies, according to both the cartel and the International Energy Agency.
Telecom Ministry forms committee to spell out revival plans for Telecom sector
- Acknowledging that country’s telecom industry was under financial stress, Union Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had constituted a committee chaired by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan to spell out revival plans for Telecom sector.
- The Committee headed by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan would submit its report in 2 weeks’ time.
UK-India Awards 2019: Mark Tully gets Lifetime Achievement Award
- Veteran British journalist Sir Mark Tully was conferred with ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at UK-India Awards in London for his contributions to UK-India Awards in London for his contributions to UK-India relationship.
- Mark Tully is the former Bureau Chief of BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) in New Delhi, India. Previously he had been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in UK and conferred with Padma Bhushan in India.
- UK-India Awards are annual awards, which celebrate special talents and organisations that use their worldwide influence to strengthen ties between UK-India.
US, England advance to semi-finals of FIFA Women's World Cup
- The United States and England have advanced to the semi-finals of the FIFA Women's World Cup. They will clash in the semis. The United States defeated hosts France 2-1 in the quarters while England beat Norway 3-0 in the other quarterfinal clash.
- The 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup is the eighth edition of the quadrennial international football championship, contested by 24 women's national teams representing member associations of FIFA. It is currently being hosted by France.