Daily Current Affairs - 07th Jul 2019
'Digital Udaan': Reliance Jio ties up with Facebook
- Reliance Jio ties up with Facebook for digital literacy initiative ‘Digital Udaan’. The initiative will have audio-visual training in 10 regional languages. The initiative is announced for the first-time Internet users in the country. The programme is being launched in nearly 200 different locations across 13 states.
1st-ever India International Cooperatives Trade Fair to be held in India
- The First Ever India International Cooperatives Trade Fair (IICTF) will be held at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. It scheduled from 11th till 13th October 2019. It is a unique initiative for taking farmers, artisans & other members of cooperatives directly to global trade arena.
- Steered by National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), the Fair is being conducted with support of one international organization NEDAC (Network for the Development of Agricultural Cooperatives), 3 Ministries, 4 State Governments and several apex level Indian cooperative organizations.
BSF launches operation ‘Sudarshan’ to fortify Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu
- The Border Security Force (BSF) has launched a massive exercise, code named ‘Sudarshan’, to fortify the ‘anti-infiltration grid’ along the Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu.
- The operation will cover the entire over the 1,000-km length of the India-Pakistan International Border. While Jammu shares about 485-km of the border with Pakistan, about 553-km of the front is in Punjab. It further runs down towards Rajasthan and Gujarat on India’s western flank.
- The BSF is the primary force guarding this frontier as the ‘first line of defense’.
Cabinet approves India-Maldives MoU for passenger, cargo services
- The Union Cabinet gave ex-post facto approval for the pact signed between India and Maldives to start passenger and cargo services via sea route.
- The MoU will pave way for ferry services between Maldives and India. The proposed ferry service would contribute in a big way to promote people to people contact and to boost bilateral trade.
- Male, the capital and most populous city, and Kulhudhuffushi, the third most populous city are good prospects for introduction of ferry service from Kochi for both tourists as well as cargo.
Hong Kong govt approves over $9 million for cyclone-hit Odisha
- The Hong Kong government has approved over $900,000 for relief and rehabilitation work in cyclone-hit Odisha that could benefit around 45,100 victims.
- The grants will benefit victims of “Fani cyclone” and will be used to provide hygiene kits, kitchen kits, water, education, household items and shelter kits.
India defeat Sri Lanka in final World Cup 2019 league stage match
- India defeated Sri Lanka in their final World Cup 2019 league stage match at Headingley in Leeds.
- India took the top spot on the points table with 15 points from nine matches. On the other hand, Australia slipped to second position after their 10-run defeat against South Africa.
- England are placed third with 12 points, while New Zealand occupy the fourth spot with 11 points.
- India will take on New Zealand in the first semi-final to be played at Old Trafford in Manchester. Australia will lock horns with England in the second semi-final at Edgbaston in Birmingham.
India ranked 86th in the Henley Passport Index 2019
- The Henley Passport Index 2019 have ranked the Indian passport on the 86th position with a mobility score of 58. The score points out that Indian passport holders can access 58 countries around the world without a prior visa. Japan and Singapore hold the top spot with a score of 189.
- The index includes 199 passports and 227 travel destinations including micro-states and territories.
Iraq's Babylon listed as World Heritage Site by UNESCO
- UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee has listed Iraq’s Babylon as a World Heritage Site.
- Babylon is developed as a walled city of mudbrick temples and towers, constituting the Tower of Babel, and the Ishtar Gate. Babylon is the largest populated city in ancient history. The city was the centre of the ancient Babylonian empire more than 4,000 years ago.
J-K govt approves Aadhaar-linked payment mode for disbursal of pension
- The Jammu and Kashmir government Saturday approved Aadhaar-linked payment mode for disbursal of pension to beneficiaries under various central and state sponsored schemes.
- The decision was made when the state administrative council (SAC) met under chairmanship of Governor Satya Pal Malik in order to ensure transparency and avoid delays in disbursement of pension to eligible old-aged, widows and physically challenged persons.
Jammu and Kashmir Bank appoints Rajni Saraf as new chief financial officer
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank appointed Rajni Saraf as its chief financial officer as part of its succession planning.
- Pursuant to Regulation 30 of SEBI (Listing Obligations and Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2015, the Board of Directors of the Bank has appointed Mrs. Rajni Saraf as chief financial officer of the bank.
- Saraf has an experience of more than three decades in the banking industry. She currently heads the Supervision and Control Division of the bank and will now oversee its financial operations that include investments, capital structure, income and expenses of the bank.
Karnataka Bank launches web tool for NPA recovery process
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has launched the web tool ‘Vasool So-Ft’ (Vasool So-Fast) for digitalising the Non-Performing Asset recovery process of the bank.
- The digital tool for the recovery of stressed assets will provide an end to end digital solution. It will enable easy and faster processing, real time information and immediate decision making in the recovery area.
Nasscom, NSDC launch global Cloud computing challenge
- To develop a sustainable workforce for disruptive technologies, IT industry’s apex body Nasscom announced that it is organising ‘WorldSkills India’s International Cloud Computing Challenge 2019’ in partnership with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- Ten countries including India are participating in the competition, along with New Zealand, Belgium, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia, Oman and Ireland.
Pink City Jaipur gets UNESCO World Heritage tag
- The Walled City of Jaipur, known for its iconic architectural legacy and vibrant culture, made its entry into the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
- The Walled City of Jaipur, known for its iconic architectural legacy and vibrant culture, on July 6 made its entry into the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.
- To date, 1,092 sites in 167 countries have been inscribed on the World Heritage List.
PNB detects Rs 3,800-cr fraud by Bhushan Power & Steel Ltd, reports to RBI
- Public sector lender Punjab National Bank has detected a fraud of more than Rs 3,800 crore by Bhushan Power & Steel Ltd (BPSL) and has reported it to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- PNB said Bhushan Power & Steel Ltd misappropriated bank funds and manipulated its books of accounts to raise funds from consortium lender banks.
Saudi Arabia adopts Digital India, equality of women in this year's Haj
- Indian Haj mission in Saudi Arabia has adopted digital technology to reach out to a large number of pilgrims as part of the Government of India’s initiative of Digital India.
- With the introduction of Haj App, Indian diplomats in Saudi Arabia are trying to form a bridge with the pilgrims not only to facilitate a smooth and hassle-free Haj operation but also to receive grievances and feedbacks to improve the service.
- This year 2332 single women are travelling for Haj. In a bid to empower Muslim women, the Narendra Modi government has removed the restriction on single women pilgrims to travel and encouraged them to apply for Haj.
SCR commissions Longest Electrified Railway Tunnel in India
- South Central Railway (SCR), one of the 18 zones of Indian Railways has commissioned the longest electrified tunnel in Indian Railways.
- The newly commissioned electrified tunnel measures 6.6 kilometres. It is situated between Cherlopalli and Rapuru Railway stations in Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh.
Tripura gets Rs 358 crore central funds for stalled projects
- The Union ministry of rural development sanctioned Rs 358 crore to the Tripura government for completion of stalled development projects around the state.
- New Delhi also gave its nod to World Bank taking up Rs 299.96 crore worth of Tripura government's projects aimed at construction of 42 roads spanning over 307.23 kilometres where the state government would contribute Rs 33.32 crore.
USISPF to honor Wipro’s Azim Premji, Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga
- US-India Strategic Partnership Forum (USISPF) has selected MasterCard CEO and President Ajay Banga and Wipro Chairman Azim Premji for its 2019 Global Excellence Awards.
- The prestigious Global Excellence Awards are being conferred for significant contribution made by Azim Premji and Ajay Banga towards strengthening economic ties between US and India.
- US-India Strategic Partnership Forum is a non-profit organization that was established in 2017 by its Executive Board with primary objective of strengthening U.S.-India bilateral and strategic partnership.