Daily Current Affairs - 21st Jul 2019
2004 batch IFS officer Vivek Kumar appointed Private Secretary to PM
- Vivek Kumar, a 2004 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, has been appointed as Private Secretary (PS) to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He is currently director, Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Axis Bank gets nod to raise Rs. 18,000 crores
- Private sector lender Axis Bank’s board has approved raising up to Rs 18,000 crore through an issue of equity shares, depository receipts or convertible securities.
- The bank's provisioning for bad loans reduced to Rs 2,711 crore in the fourth quarter of 2018-19, from Rs 7,179 crore in the corresponding period last fiscal, according to regulatory filings.
- The bank said that the fund will be raised through issue of equity shares/depository receipts and/or any other instruments or securities representing either equity shares and/or convertible securities linked to equity shares including through Qualified Institutions Placement (QIP)/ American Depository Receipts (ADRs)/ Global Depository Receipts (GDRs) program, preferential allotment or such other permissible mode or combinations as may be considered appropriate.
Boxer Shiva Thapa First Indian To Win Gold in Kazakhstan President's Cup
- Four-time Asian medallist Shiva Thapa became India's first gold-medallist at the President's Cup boxing tournament after getting a walkover in the finals in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Making his international debut in the newly-introduced Olympic category of 63kg. Thapa was to fight Kazakhstan’s Zakir Safiullin in the summit clash.
China allows more foreign investment in financial sector
- China has lifted some restrictions on foreign investment in the financial sector.
- The Financial Stability and Development Committee said China will remove shareholding limits on foreign ownership of securities, insurance and fund management firms in 2020.
- Beijing has long promised to further open up its economy to foreign business participation and investment.
Culture Minister inaugurates architectural illumination of Safdarjung Tomb
- Culture Minister Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated the architectural illumination of the historic Safdarjung Tomb in New Delhi.
- Archaeological Survey of India has taken up the project to illuminate the important monuments of Delhi to highlight the archaeological magnificence of historical monuments. The move aims to showcase the monuments during late evenings and enhance the experience of visitors and tourists.
Former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit passes away
- Three-time Delhi Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Shiela Dixit passed away in New Delhi. Dikshit served at the Chief Minister of Delhi for a period of 15 years from 1998 to 2013.
Hima Das wins gold in 400m race
- Indian sprinter Hima Das won a gold medal in the 400-meter race with a season-best time of 52.09 seconds at Nove Mesto in the Czech Republic.
- It was Hima's fifth gold medal since July 2 when she ran her first competitive race in Europe.
- Hima has already won gold in 200 meters race at the Poznan Athletics Grand Prix and Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland earlier this month.
- She won her third 200 meters gold at the Kladno Athletics Meet and fourth gold at the Tabor Athletics Meet in the Czech Republic.
India, China to carry out major military exercise ‘Hand in Hand’
- Continuing to expand military to military engagements, India and Chinawill be carrying out a major military exercise called ‘Hand-in-Hand’ in Umroi, Meghalaya.
- It will be based on counter-terrorism, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operations.
International Police Expo 2019 held in New Delhi
- The International Police Expo 2019 on theme ‘Challenges to strengthen peace and security’ was organized at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi. The 2019 event saw participation of Manufacturers and technology players from more than 25 countries.
- It is the only exhibition that focuses and offers an interactive platform to police representatives belonging to different nations.
Leander Paes, Marcus Daniell enter in semi-finals of Hall of Fame Open
- In Tennis, Leander Paes reached the semi-finals of the ATP Hall of Fame Open with partner Marcus Daniell, edging out Matthew Ebden and Robert Lindstedt in Newport.
Motihari-Amlekhgunj oil pipeline ready for commercial operation
- The landmark Motihari-Amlekhgunj petroleum products pipeline between India and Nepal has been completed and ready for commercial operation. Indian Oil Corporation and Nepal Oil Corporation successfully completed testing transfer of the pipeline.
- Since 1974, Nepal has been importing its entire major petroleum products including petrol, diesel, ATF and LPG from India. The oil pipeline will ensure smooth, cost effective and environment friendly supply of petroleum products to Nepal.
New Governors appointed for six states including UP, WB & MP
- President has appointed Governors for six states.
- Governor of Uttar Pradesh-------------Anandi Ben Patel
- Governor of Madhya Pradesh---------Lal Ji Tandon
- Governor of Bihar---------------Phagu Chauhan
- Governor of West Bengal --------Jagdeep Dhankhar
- Governor of Tripura ------------- Ramesh Bais
- Governor of Nagaland----------R.N. Ravi
North Korea wins Intercontinental Cup title
- North Korea triumphed in the second edition of Intercontinental Cup football tournament beating Tajikistan by a solitary goal in the final held in Ahmedabad.
- North Korea, Tajikistan, India and Syria participated in the event.
Sanjeev Kumar Singla appointed as India’s Ambassador to Israel
- Senior IFS officer Sanjeev Kumar Singla has been appointed as India's Ambassador to Israel. He will be succeeding Pavan Kapoor, a 1990 cadre IFS officer.
- The 1997-cadre officer was previously posted at the Indian Embassy in Tel Aviv.
Upender Singh Rawat named India's next Ambassador to Panama
- IFS officer Upender Singh Rawat was appointed as India's next Ambassador to Panama. He will be succeeding Ravi Thapar.
- Upender Singh Rawat is 1998-batch IFS officer.
World celebrates 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 moon landing
- World is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 moon landing. American astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first humans to set foot on the Moon.Their lunar module, named Eagle, touched down on 20th July 1969.
- Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were on the surface, ex-fighter pilot Collins remained in lunar orbit, where he was in touch with ground control.