Daily Current Affairs - 28th Jul 2019
Apple gets into 5G race; acquires Intel phone modem business for $1 billion
- American technology company Apple has announced the acquisition of chip-maker Intel's smartphone modem business for $1 billion.
- Approximately 2,200 Intel employees will join Apple, along with intellectual property, equipment and leases.
- Intel will retain the ability to develop modems for non-smart phone applications, such as PCs, internet-of-things devices and autonomous vehicles.
Centre to launch Deep Ocean Mission in October
- A five-year, Rs.8,000-crore plan to explore the deepest recesses of the ocean has got approval from the government. The ‘Deep Ocean Mission (DOM)’ to be led by the Union Earth Sciences Ministry will commence from October 31.
- The mission proposes to explore the deep ocean similar to the space exploration started by ISRO. A major thrust of the mission will be looking for metals and minerals.
Dr. Harsh Vardhan launches new website of India Meteorological Department
- Earth Sciences Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has said the Ministry is making a signification contribution to the betterment of the country through weather forecasting. Dr. Vardhan also launched a new website of India Meteorological Department www.mausam.imd.gov.in on the occasion.
- The website will provide all information related to weather.
Dressel gets swimming hat trick
- Caeleb Dressel made history again at the world swimming championships. The American won three gold medals in a span of about two hours, duplicating his feat from two years ago in Budapest, Hungary. The 22-year-old retained his 50 meters freestyle and 100m butterfly crowns in Gwangju, before leading the American mixed 4x100m freestyle team to a new world record.
- He became the first swimmer to capture at least six gold medals at two world championships.
- at least six gold medals at two world championships.became the first swimmer to capture at least six gold medals at two world championships.
Government signs MoU with industry body to streamline delivery of services under Ayushman Bharat
- To streamline delivery of services under the Centre’s flagship healthcare scheme Ayushman Bharat, its implementing agency inked an MoU with industry body NATHEALTH. The partnership between National Health Authority (NHA) and the Health care Federation of India (NATHEALTH) aims to streamline all innovations ensuring that it increases the efficacy of service delivery of Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).
- The insurance scheme aims to provide a health cover of up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization.
Govt approves national permit scheme for inter-state travel for bus operators
- Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari said, the government has approved the national permit scheme for inter-state travel for bus operators.
- The move is likely to increase the state revenue by 3-4 per cent as the money will be directly credited to the states in a proportionate manner. The minister announced that the government will soon provide the online facility of obtaining a permit for the electric vehicles including buses, car taxis, autos and bike taxis.
GST Council reduces rate on Electric Vehicles by 7%
- The GST Council has decided to reduce GST Rate on Electrical Vehicles from 12 per cent to 5 per cent.
- The Council also decided to reduce the rate on Electric Vehicle Chargers from 18 per cent to 5 per cent.
- The Council also approved an exemption from GST on the hiring of Electric Buses by local authorities. This will play a part in faster adoption of electric mobility.
Haryana invites Nepal to be partner country for Gita Jayanti Mahotsav
- Chief Minister of Haryana Manohar Lal Khattar has invited Nepal to be Partner Country for International Gita Jayanti Mahotsav scheduled to be held at Kurukshetra from 3-8 December 2019.
- The chief minister said Haryana has been celebrating Gita Jayanti Mahotsav for the last three years and every year a country is invited to become the partner country for the mega event.
ICICI Bank clocks profit as provisions dip
- ICICI Bank reported a Rs.1,908.03-crore net profit for the April-June quarter compared with a ?119.55-crore loss during the same period of the previous year as additions to bad loans fell, lowering provision requirement.
- The bank, however, showed improvement in asset quality, as its gross non-performing assets (NPA) ratio fell -- both year-on-year and sequentially -- and the gross additions to NPAs were lower than the year-ago quarter.
India gets first four Apache attack helicopters, another four next week
- In a major capability boost for the Indian Air Force (IAF), the Boeing Company delivered four AH-64E Apache attack helicopters, ahead of the contracted schedule, at the Hindan Air Force Station, outside Delhi.
- The IAF’s Apaches will replace its obsolescent Soviet-origin Mi-35 attack helicopters that have come to the end of their four-decade-long service lives, despite having been recently upgraded for night operations.
Indian boxers finish Thailand Open campaign; bag 8 medals
- Indian boxers finished their campaign at the Thailand Open in Bangkok with a rich haul of eight medals, comprising a gold, four silver and three bronze.
- Asian Championships silver medallist Ashish Kumar bagged his first international gold in the 75 kg category, outpunching Korea's Kim Jinjae 5-0 for the biggest medal of his career. Indians who settled for the silver were Nikhat Zareen (51kg), Deepak (49kg), Mohammed Hussamuddin (56kg), and Brijesh Yadav (81kg).
Khelo India Youth Games to be held in Guwahati next year
- The third edition of Khelo India Youth Games will be held in Guwahati next year. Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju said the Games to be held from 18th January next year, will see participation of more than 10,000 athletes and officials.
- It will be conducted in partnership with Indian Olympic Association, School Games Federation of India and Assam as host State.
U.S., Guatemala sign asylum deal
- The Trump administration signed an agreement with Guatemala that will restrict asylum applications to the U.S. from Central America.
- The “safe third country” agreement would require migrants, including Salvadorans and Hondurans, who cross into Guatemala on their way to the U.S. to apply for protections in Guatemala instead of at the U.S. border. It could potentially ease the crush of migrants overwhelming the U.S. immigration system.
US Supreme court allows Trump to use 2.5bn dollar of Pentagon funds for border wall
- The US Supreme Court has allowed President Donald Trump to use 2.5 billion dollar of Pentagon funds for building sections of a border wall with Mexico.
- The decision by the Supreme Court means that the money will be used for wall projects in California, Arizona and New Mexico. The President has argued that a new wall would help to curb illegal immigration, which he says is fuelling crime and placing a strain on the economy.
World Hepatitis Day – July 28
- World Health Organization observe 28 July every year as “World Hepatitis Day” to step up national and international efforts on hepatitis.
- The theme for 2019 is “Invest in eliminating hepatitis”