Daily Current Affairs - 01st Sep 2019
"Assam's National Register of Citizens List" released
- State coordinator of the National Register of Citizens, Prateek Hajela has released the Assam's final National Register of Citizens list.
- The process of NRC Update was started in the state of Assam as per order of the Supreme Court of India in 2013. The NRC took five years and Rs 1,220 crore before getting published.
- From the 3.29 crore applicants, a total of 3.11 crore people have been found eligible for inclusion in final NRC list. 19.06 lakh people have been excluded from the final NRC list.
- The NRC list is the biggest exercise India has undertaken to expel illegal immigrants residing illegally in India. The updation process of NRC was carried out under The Citizenship Act, 1955, and according to the rules framed in the Assam Accord.
Bangladesh asks telecom operators to stop mobile service for Rohingyas
- Bangladesh Telecom Regulatory Commission (BTRC) has directed mobile phone operators to halt sale of SIM cards to Rohingyas and ensure that mobile phone use by them is stopped.
- The ban on sale of mobile SIM cards to Rohingya refugees was first imposed in September 2017.
- Government had proposed to set up phone booths in the Rohingya camps to meet their communication requirements. However, the sale of SIM cards to Rohingya refugees continued illegally.
Bangladesh TV starts telecast in India
- The state-owned TV channel Bangladesh Television (BTV) started telecast for viewers in India on DD free.
- Information Minister of Bangladesh Dr. Hasan Mahmud inaugurated the broadcast program at BTV Auditorium in Dhaka. State Minister for Information Md. Murad Hasan and India's High Commissioner to Bangladesh Riva Ganguly Das were the special guests at the event.
- The BTV programmes in India will be broadcast by using the country's first communication satellite Bangabandhu 1. Initially, the viewers would be able to watch BTV World service programmes in India.
- India and Bangladesh signed an agreement in May 2019 to make BTV and DD available in both the countries.
CBDT constitutes five-member "Startup Cell" for startups
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes has announced the creation of a five-member special cell "Startup Cell" for startups. The "Startup Cell" will address the grievances of the startups with relation to angel tax and other tax-related issues.
- Startup entities can approach the cell for speedy resolution of their grievances. The 'startup cell' will be headed by the member (Income Tax and Computerisation) of the board.
Culture & Tourism Minister inaugurates gallery of confiscated & retrieved antiquities at Purana Quila
- Union Minister for Culture and Tourism Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated gallery of confiscated and retrieved antiquities at Purana Quila in New Delhi.
- Mr. Patel said, it is a matter of pride that it has been possible to retrieve the historical pieces of the heritage from abroad.
- The retrieved items will enhance the knowledge about our rich culture and heritage. The gallery was established by Archaeological Survey of India (ASI). The displayed antiquities will sensitize the public towards the illegal trade of nation's heritage.
Govt puts restrictions on imports of Agarbatti
- Union government has put restrictions on the import of Agarbatti and other similar products.
- Now importers of these goods require a licence from the government. In a notification, Directorate General of Foreign Trade said, import policy of Agarbatti and other odoriferous preparations have been revised from free to restricted.
- Restrictions have also been imposed on imports of other odoriferous preparations used for deodorizing room.
Health Ministry explores AI for combating tuberculosis
- The Central TB Division of the Health Ministry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Wadhwani Institute for Artificial Intelligence (AI) to explore the application of cutting-edge Artificial Intelligence technology in its fight against tuberculosis (TB).
- The MoU was signed by Vikas Sheel, Joint Secretary in the Health Ministry and P Anandan, CEO of Wadhwani AI.
- As part of the collaboration, Wadhwani AI would support the National TB programme by helping it become AI-ready. This would include, developing, piloting, and deploying AI-based solutions.
IDBI Bank launches repo-linked home, auto loans
- LIC-owned IDBI Bank has launched home and auto loan product linked to the repo rate. It has also introduced bulk deposits linked to the repo rate in select buckets.
- The lender is offering home loan for up to Rs 75 lakh with a tenor of up to 35 years. Currently the interest rate on home loan will be from 8.30 per cent per annum onwards. The interest rate on auto loan will be from 8.90 per cent per annum onwards.
- The banks customers will have the twin option of selecting either the MCLR linked product or the newly launched repo rate linked product. The revised rates are applicable from September 10, 2019.
IIT Kharagpur, Amazon Join Hands to Develop Artificial Intelligence (AI) Portal
- In a bid to promote learning and development of Artificial Intelligence (AI), the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur announced a collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to develop a National Artificial Intelligence Resource Portal (NAIRP) platform.
- The National Artificial Intelligence Resource Portal (NAIRP) will provide access to compute facilities to users for AI learning and experimentation. Novice machine learning practitioners will be able to quickly search and get access to myriads of learning resources and prototype the learned concepts into hands-on running modules without being held back by the lack of resources.
India beat Nepal 7-0 to lift SAFF Under-15 title
- In football, India lifted the SAFF Under-15 title at Kalyanai, West Bengal with a 7-0 win over Nepal.
- The victory also meant that India are now the most successful team in the tournament's history.
- They won the title for a record third time after previous wins in 2013 and 2017, both of which came in Nepal.
India nudges Russia to get OPEC to price oil at reasonable rates
- India has nudged Russia to use its influence on oil suppliers cartel OPEC to balance the global oil market, ensuring adequate supply with responsible and reasonable price.
- India, the world's third-biggest oil consumer, has been pressing the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) for responsible pricing of oil and gas, saying the volatility in rates are far detached from market fundamentals and are hurting importing nations.
- Russia is collaborating with the OPEC in fixing oil production quota with a view to controlling the prices.
Meghalaya launches ‘Walk to Work’ campaign
- Chief Minister of Meghalaya launched the ‘Walk to Work’ campaign in the state. The campaign is a part of Fit India Movement which has been launched in the country by the Prime Minister.
- The campaign comes with the multiple benefits like cost cutting of fuel including reduction of CO2 emission, reduction in congestion in the city and the most important "health and fitness" for the citizens.
Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act 2019 comes into force
- The amended provisions of the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Act, 2019, which hike the penalty for traffic rules violation, has come into effect from 1st September.
- As many as 63 clauses of the Act, which correspond to increase in penalty/fine for traffic rule violation, has come into force.
- Under the new rules Rs 10,000 fine will be levied for not giving way to emergency vehicles and Rs 10,000 for driving despite disqualification. Aggregators violating driving licences will be fined up to Rs one lakh. It also includes penalties in the range of Rs 1,000- 2,000 for over-speeding. As per the Bill, driving without insurance will be punishable with Rs 2,000 fine, while driving without helmets will attract Rs 1,000 fine and 3-month suspension of licence.
- Penalty for dangerous driving has been increased to Rs 5,000 from Rs 1,000, while drunken driving under will cost a fine of Rs 10,000. Guardian/owner will be deemed to be guilty in case of road offence by juveniles while registration of the vehicle will be cancelled.
P.K. Sinha appointed as Officer on Special Duty in PMO
- Former Cabinet Secretary PK Sinha was appointed as OSD in the PMO after Nripendra Misra's request to be relieved as Principal Secretary was accepted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Sinha's place was taken by Rajiv Gauba who was appointed the Cabinet Secretary.
Sri Lankan Parliament, UNICEF celebrate 30 years of convention on child rights
- Sri Lankan Parliament together with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is hosting parliamentarians from across South Asia to celebrate the 30-year anniversary of the convention of the rights of the child.
- The event will take stock of the situation of children in the region and discuss key challenges towards realization of children rights.
Tennis player Sasi Mukund reaches final of ATP Challenger in China
- Indian tennis player Sasi Kumar Mukund pulled off the biggest result of his career, reaching his maiden singles final on the ATP Challenger Tour, in Baotou, China.
- The 12th seed Mukund, beat Tung-Lin Wu 7-5, 6-3 in the semifinals of the clay-court event.
- Mukund was recently named in Indian Davis Cup squad as a reserve member. He next faces Australian top seed James Duckworth in the final.
‘Namaste Pacific’ Cultural Event held in New Delhi
- The High Commissions of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Fiji jointly organised a cultural event ‘Namaste Pacific’ held in Delhi, India. This event is organised to showcase the culture of the Pacific countries.
- There was also showcase of the International Solar Alliance and Pollinate Energy based in Australia, Nepal and India and solar lanterns from Barefoot College in Rajasthan.
“Mega Vendor Meet 2019" held at Lucknow
- The research arm of Indian Railways, Research Designs and Standards Organization (RDSO) is organized a special Mega Vendor Meet at RDSO in a significant move to show-case greater business opportunities in Railway sector in Lucknow.
- In line with Government of India’s ‘Make in India’ programme, RDSO through such meets and other endeavors continues to reach out to Indian industry and encourage them to be the active partners in nation building.