Daily Current Affairs - 10th Sep 2019
30 teams participating in 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship
- The 25th Senior Women’s National Football Championship will kick off at Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh. Altogether 30 teams from across India is participating the 15-day event. Teams have been divided into eight groups.
6th India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue concludes
- The sixth India-China Strategic Economic Dialogue, SED, was concluded in New Delhi. Both the sides agreed that SED has emerged as a crucial mechanism to facilitate bilateral trade, investment and enhance economic cooperation.
- The two sides held in-depth discussions to review trade and investment climate, and harness synergies for future engagement. Potential areas of collaboration across innovation and investment focusing on fintech and related technologies were highlighted.
- They also identified future areas of collaboration and resolved to work on Renewable Energy space, Clean coal technology sector, Smart Grid and Grid integration and Smart meters and E-mobility sectors.
- The Indian side was led by NITI Aayog Vice-Chairman, Dr. Rajiv Kumar and the Chinese side by He Lifeng, Chairman, NDRC.
Book on spin quartet launched
- The book on India’s spin quartet Bishan Singh Bedi, Erapalli Prasanna, Bhagwat Chandrashekhar and S. Venkataraghavan ''Fortune Turners: The Quartet That Spun India To Glory'', has been launched. This book has been written by Aditya Bhushan and Sachin Bajaj.
- This book has anecdotes, incidents and explanations of the times gone by from its main protagonists themselves.
British parliament rejects PM Johnson's call for early elections for 2nd time
- British Member of Parliament rejected a second attempt by Prime Minister Boris Johnson to call an early election to break the Brexit deadlock. The MPs had earlier also voted to demand the government to publish confidential documents about Britain's readiness to leave the EU on 31 October without a divorce deal.
- Many MPs reject a no-deal divorce and in the past few days have rushed through a law that would force Johnson to delay Brexit if he failed to strike a deal.
Charles Leclerc wins second successive F1 win through 2019 Italian Grand Prix
- Ferrari's 21-year-old driver Charles Leclerc won his 2nd successive Formula One race when he held off Valtteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton at the Italian Grand Prix. Thus he secured his second successive F1 race win in the process, having recorded his first ever in last week's Belgian GP.
DPIIT to launch plastic waste management campaign tomorrow
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) of Commerce Ministry will launch plastic waste management campaign under Swachhta Hi Sewa 2019 tomorrow.
- Under the campaign, DPIIT will ensure recycling of plastic waste collected on 2nd October this year in cement kilns. It will also collect plastic waste through nationwide shramdaan on 2nd of next month. For this, DPIIT has urged States and Union Territories to mobilise the Industrial Parks for collection of plastic waste across all Industrial Estates, Parks, Corridors, Nodes and Industrial Areas.
- The Department has also asked the state governments to sensitize Industrial Parks by focusing on Plastic Waste Management on a sustained and continuous basis.
India to open their campaign at men's World Boxing C’ships today
- India will open their campaign at the ongoing men's World Boxing Championships in Ekaterinburg, Russia, today. India's Brijesh Yadav (81kg) will take on Poland's Maleusz Goinski in the opener. The World Championship features more than 450 boxers from 87 countries.
- Other Indian pugilists to compete in the Championship are Amit Panghal, Ashish Kumar, Sanjeet, Kavinder Singh Bisht and Duryodhan Singh Negi.
India to raise target of restoring degraded land to 26 million hectares by 2030: PM
- India will raise the target of restoring land with degraded status from 21 million hectares to 26 million by 2030. Prime Minister Narendra Modi said this while addressing the 14th Conference of Parties (COP14) of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification(UNCCD) in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Prime Minister said that Desertification affects over two thirds of the countries of the world.
IPPB rolls out Aadhaar-enabled payment services
- The Union government has announced the rollout of Aadhaar Enabled Payment System Services by India Post Payments Bank, IPPB. This initiative gives a strong boost to the Centre's efforts in expanding access to financial services for millions of unbanked and underbanked customers.
- With this launch, IPPB has become the single largest platform in the country for providing interoperable banking services to customers of any bank by leveraging the last mile unprecedented reach of the Postal network.
Kosgei breaks half marathon record at Great North Run as Farah wins sixth title
- Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei has broken the world half marathon record at the Great North Run, finishing in a time of 1hr 04min 28sec. Kenya’s women filled the top four places, but Kosgei finished more than three minutes ahead of the second-placed Magdalyne Masai (1:07:36)
- Mo Farah has won the men’s elite race for a record sixth successive year. The four-times Olympic track gold medallist was pushed hard by Tamirat Tola but he proved too strong for the Ethiopian in the final mile, to finish the 13.1-mile half marathon course in 59:06.
Muharram being observed in various parts of the country today
- The Ashoora-e-Muharram is being observed on September 10th with due reverence and solemnity in various parts of the country. This day marks the martyrdom of Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Hazrat Imam Hussain and his companions, who laid down their lives for upholding truth, righteousness and justice in Karbala.
- Tazia processions are being taken out to mark the occasion. Majaalis or religious meetings, highlighting the supreme sacrifice of Karbala Martyrs are also being held.
Mumbai at fifth position in Asia Pacific Co-living Index; New Delhi at 11
- Mumbai occupies the fifth position in the Asia Pacific Co-living Index by Knight Frank while New Delhi is ranked 11th and Bengaluru 19th. Beijing, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong occupy the top four slots.
- The report titled 'Insights on Co-living – An Asia-Pacific Perspective' covers 20 major Asia-Pacific cities.
Mutual fund SIPs dip in August
- Mutual fund assets registered a rise in the month of August, largely aided by strong flows in liquid schemes even as retail flows remained flat and that of systematic investment plans (SIPs) witnessed a marginal dip.
- According to the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI), the total assets under management (AUM) of the mutual fund industry was pegged at Rs.2.81 lakh crore, marginally higher than July’s Rs.2.78 lakh crore.
- Among the different categories of funds, liquid funds registered the highest quantum of inflows at nearly Rs.79,500 crore, while the overall debt/income category saw net inflows of nearly Rs.91,127 crore, higher than the previous month’s flows of Rs.61,845.54 crore.
- Equity funds also witnessed a rise in terms of inflows with August net flows pegged at Rs.9,152.43 crore as against July’s Rs.8,112.52 crore.
- Flows through SIPs, however, were pegged at Rs.8,230.76 crore in August, lower than the previous month’s net flows of Rs.8,324.28 crore.
New tariff policy aims to ‘empower’ the consumer
- The Centre is planning to unveil a new power tariff policy soon with focus on empowerment of the consumer, including the option of choosing the energy supplier and penalizing distribution companies (Discoms) for load shedding without valid reasons, Union Minister of State for Power and New & Renewable Energy R.K. Singh has said.
- A draft of the bill was already placed before the Union Cabinet and in all likelihood it would be cleared soon.
- A unique feature of the new policy is that it would provide rights to the consumers to get quality uninterrupted (24×7) power supply and there would be a provision of payment of compensation to the consumers by the Discoms in case of load shedding without valid reasons.
PM Modi, Nepal PM to jointly inaugurate Motihari-Amlekhganj cross border petroleum pipeline
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Nepal's Prime Minister K.P.Sharma Oli will jointly inaugurate Motihari-Amlekhgunj cross border petroleum products pipeline through video conference today. This is the first transnational petroleum pipeline from India and first South Asian oil pipeline corridor.
- The landmark pipeline will ensure smooth, cost-effective and environment-friendly supply of petroleum products to Nepal.
- The 69 kms long pipeline from Motihari in Bihar to Amlekhgunj in Nepal has been constructed by India in just 15 months, half of its 30 months deadline.
- The project has been constructed at the cost of around three hundred fifty crore rupees which are entirely borne by Indian Oil Corporation.
Registration of steel and iron imports, a must
- In a bid to clamp down on the dumping of iron and steel imports, and also the over-and under-invoicing of these products, the union government has removed these items from the ‘free’ category and has made it mandatory for importers to apply in advance for a registration of their import.
- The new system will come into effect from November 1.
- This comes at a time when India has been at the receiving end of large amounts of steel dumping due to the ongoing trade war between the U.S. and China.
- According to a notification issued by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade, the import of 284 item lines under the steel and iron category has been re-designated from ‘free’ to ‘free subject to compulsory registration under Steel Import Monitoring System’.
Several Union Ministers to present report card on 100 days of govt today
- Narendra Modi led NDA government has completed 100 days in its second term and 17 union ministers have been presenting the government's report card at press conferences in different cities across the country.
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will brief media in Chennai while Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad will speak to media in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Textiles Minister Smriti Irani will interact with media in Kolkata.
Tribunal quashes SEBI order against Price Waterhouse
- The Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT) has quashed the capital markets regulator’s order that barred Price Waterhouse (PW) from auditing listed entities for two years for its alleged role in the fraud committed at the erstwhile Satyam Computer Services.
- The tribunal highlighted the jurisdiction issue while observing that there was no need for SEBI to act against the auditor after the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) initiated proceedings and even cancelled the registration of the auditing firm.
- The tribunal further said that the capital markets watchdog acted against PW even though it was not able to establish any fraud or connivance on the part of the auditing firm or its partners.