Daily Current Affairs - 25th Sep 2019
6.3 Ritcher earthquake hits Pakistan-India border region
- As per the Indian Meteorological Department, Earthquake hits the Pakistan-India border region at around 4:31 PM on 24th September 2019.
- The earthquake was of the magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale and a depth of 40 km.
Amit Shah Launches Portal for Private Security Agency Licensing
- The Union Home Minister Amit Shah has launched a single-window system ‘Private Security Agency Licensing Portal’. The single-window system will be used for issuing licenses to private security agencies. The portal will be available in several Indian languages.
- The online system will enable authorities in states and UTs to e-search criminal antecedents for verification of character and other antecedents of applicants through CCTNS before giving licenses for private security agencies and employees/guards.
Amitabh Bachchan to be honoured with Dada Saheb Phalke award
- The country’s highest film honour, the Dadasaheb Phalke award, will be presented this year to Amitabh Bachchan. This award is given for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema. The Dadasaheb Phalke award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus), a shawl and a cash prize of Rs.1,000,000.
- Mr Bachchan has been honoured with the Padma Shri in 1984, the Padma Bhushan in 2001 and the Padma Vibhushan in 2015.
- Dadasaheb Phalke award was introduced by the government in 1969 to commemorate the “father of Indian cinema” who directed Raja Harischandra (1913), India’s first feature film, and it was awarded for the first time to Devika Rani, “the first lady of Indian cinema”.
Best Fifa Football Awards 2019
- The “Best Fifa Football Awards 2019” felicitated in Milan. Barcelona’s Lionel Messi won the best men’s player at the Best Fifa Football Awards in Milan. It is the 6th time Messi has been voted the world’s best men’s player after winning it in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015.
Best Men’s Player Award Lionel Messi Best Women’s Player Award Megan Rapinoe Men’s Coach of the Year Jurgen Klopp Women’s Coach of the Year Jill Ellis Best Men’s Goalkeeper Alisson Best Women’s Goalkeeper Sari van Veenendaal Fair Play Award Marcelo Bielsa and the Leeds United squad Puskas Award for the Best Goal Daniel Zsori
Bharti Airtel and Bharti AXA Life Insurance tie up to offer pre-paid plan with insurance protection cover
- Bharti Airtel has tied up with Bharti AXA Life Insurance to offer a pre-paid plan with insurance protection cover for its customers, as part of its strategy to leverage the deep penetration of mobile services to build a financially secure India.
- Airtel has come up with an innovative Rs.599 pre-paid bundle with offers ?4 lakh life insurance cover from Bharti AXA Life Insurance. The recharge comes with a validity of 84 days, and the insurance cover continues automatically for three months with every recharge.
Boris Johnson's suspension of parliament unlawful, supreme court rules
- The supreme court of UK has ruled that Boris Johnson’s advice to the Queen that parliament should be prorogued for five weeks at the height of the Brexit crisis was unlawful.
- The judgment from 11 justices on the UK’s highest court follows an emergency three-day hearing last week that exposed fundamental legal differences over interpreting the country’s unwritten constitution.
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh commissions ICGS Varaha
- Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has formally commissioned the Indian Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel ‘Varaha’ at the Chennai Port Trust.
- The vessel includes Integrated Bridge System, automated power management system, high power external firefighting system, indigenously built Integrated Platform Management System and help traversing system.
- The ship carries four high speed boats including two rigid hull inflated boats for boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.
G V Srinivas appointed Ambassador to Republic of Guinea
- Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas was appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guinea Bissau. He will succeed Partha Satpathy.
- A 1993 batch-IFS officer, Srinivas is presently the country’s Ambassador to the Republic of Senegal.
Gandhi Solar Park inaugurated at UN Headquarters by PM Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with other world leaders, inaugurated a 50 kilowatt ‘Gandhi Solar Park’ at the UN headquarters.
- PM Modi and other leaders also released a commemorative postage stamp of Mahatma Gandhi, at the programme” Relevance of Mahatma Gandhi in the Contemporary World” at the UN headquarters.
- The event was hosted to celebrate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi, which will underline the continuing relevance of Gandhian thoughts and values in today’s world.
Indo-US military drill: Tiger Triumph off Andhra Coast in November
- India and the United States are set to hold their first tri-services exercise code-named “Tiger Triumph” at Visakhapatnam and Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh in November 2019.
- The plan for this exercise was discussed during the Final Planning Conference (FPC) for India-US Tri-Services Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief (HADR) concluded at Headquarters Eastern Naval Command.
- For the first time, the US and India will be holding the tri-service military exercise. India earlier conducted such tri-service exercise with Russia.
Koneru Hampi wins the Skolkova Fides Grand Prix
- Indian chess grandmaster, Koneru Hampi has clinched Fide World Grand Prix 2019 title with 8 points from 11 rounds in Skolkovo, Russia. While other Indian, D Harika secured the sixth place with 5 points.
- In the final round, Hampi just needed to play a draw for the title. The advantage she had in the final round was that have to play white pieces against the defending world champion Wenjun Xu of China.
Korda wins first LET title at Ladies French Open
- Nelly Korda has won the Ladies European Tour Title at Lacoste Ladies French Open. She shot a four-under 67 to win her first Ladies European Tour title.
- India’s Aditi Ashok was the best Indian at the Lacoste Ladies Open de France as she shot even par 71 in the final round to finish at 26th.
Kotak Mutual Fund’s Nilesh Shah appointed as new Amfi chairman
- Nilesh Shah, Managing Director of Kotak Asset Management Company (AMC), has been appointed as the new chairman of the Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI). He will replace the Managing Director, and CEO of ICICI Prudential Asset Management Company, Nimesh Shah.
- The AMFI also elected Saurabh Nanavati, Chief Executive Officer, Invesco Mutual Fund as the vice-chairman of AMFI, for a period of one year. AMFI was incorporated on August 22, 1995, as a non-profit organisation. As of now, all the 44 asset management companies that are registered with Sebi, are its members.
Manipur emerge Senior Women's National Football champions
- Manipur defeated Railways by 1-0 to win the Senior Women’s National Football Championship held in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. This was Manipur’s 20th National title.
- Bala Devi emerged as the highest scorer of the tournament, with 21 goals from 6 matches, while Panthoi Chanu was named the best goalkeeper. Both players represented Manipur in the championship.
Ponung Doming Becomes First Female Lieutenant Colonel from Arunachal
- Army officer Ponung Doming became the first woman officer from Arunachal Pradesh to be elevated to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Army.
- She was commissioned into the Indian Army as a Lieutenant in 2008. She was promoted as a Major in 2013. She served the UN Peacekeeping force in Congo in 2014.
President of India Inaugurates 6th India Water Week-2019
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the sixth “India Water Week-2019” being organized with the theme of ‘Water cooperation-coping with 21st-century challenge’ at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The President emphasized on the need to store and capture the rainwater by utilizing existing reservoirs, dams, other water bodies.
RBI curbs withdrawals over Rs 1000/day at PMC Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India has imposed restrictions on Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank, under which the depositors cannot withdraw more than Rs 1,000 from their accounts.
- The curbs will remain for six months. PMC Bank has also been barred from making fresh loans and taking deposits.
- PMC Bank is a multi-State scheduled urban co-operative bank with operations in the states of Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka, Goa, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
SBI Life, Repco Home Finance sign corporate agency pact
- SBI Life Insurance has signed a corporate agency agreement with Repco Home Finance Ltd (RHFL) to offer the company’s range of products to RHFL customers.
- As per the agreement, the partnership would see over 148 branches and 27 satellite centres of RHFL spread across the country to offer SBI Life Insurance products to its customers.
SEBI imposes Rs 22 cr fine on Aurobindo Pharma, promoters, related entities
- Securities and Exchange Board of India has imposed a penalty of over Rs 22 crore on Aurobindo Pharma and its promoters. They have been penalized for violating insider trading norms.
- The regulator had conducted an investigation into the trading in the scrip of Aurobindo Pharma Ltd. SEBI found that these entities purchased shares while in possession of the unpublished price sensitive information (UPSI) pertaining to Aurobindo and made unlawful gains from having purchased its shares at a lower price before the publication of the UPSI.
Warwick Professor, Adam Harper bags SASTRA-Ramanujan Prize
- The SASTRA Ramanujan prize for 2019 will be awarded to Adam Harper. Mathematician Adam Harper is an Assistant Professor with the University of Warwick, England.
- The prize is conferred annually on mathematicians from across the world who are less than 32 years of age and working in an area influenced by the genius Srinivasa Ramanujan. The award was instituted in 2005 and awarded by SASTRA University.
Wipro to develop online business platform with Brazil’s financial services body
- Wipro, the Bengaluru-based software services provider has tied up with Febraban, an industry body representing the Brazil’s financial services industry to develop an online platform “Noomis” for the financial services industry in Brazil.
- Noomis will serve as a meeting point and a discussion platform for the finance professionals in Brazil who will participate in CIAB, an information technology trade show for financial services organized by FEBRABAN.
- Noomis will provide reliable, analytical, and unbiased information via news reports, videos, and newsletters that will enable participants to stay up to date on financial market trends.
Women's badminton coach Kim resigns
- National women’s badminton coach Kim Ji-Hyun has stepped down from her post of National women’s coach of India.
- She has played a vital role in helping P.V. Sindhu win the 2019 badminton World Championship gold. As a result, she is unlikely to be with the Indian team ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as per her contract.