Daily Current Affairs - 22nd Oct 2019
7th CISM World Military Games: Duryodhan, Jaideep advance to pre-quarterfinals
- Indian boxers Duryodhan Singh Negi and Jaideep advanced to the pre-quarterfinals of their respective weight categories in the 7th CISM World Military Games in Wuhan, China.
- Negi (69kg) beat Hikal Mohamed of Egypt 5-0 in his round of 32 bout while Jaideep (75kg) also won by an identical margin against Nabah Ahmad of Qatar.
- India is being represented by 54 athletes in nine sports -- Archery, boxing, diving, modern pentathlon, shooting, track and field, gymnastics and tennis -- in the Games.
Avoid oil imports from Malaysia: trade body
- In line with the Union Government’s strong objections to Malaysia’s “unprovoked” remarks and criticism on India’s move to abrogate Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir, India’s apex oil trade body Solvent Extractors’ Association of India (SEA) has advised all its members to avoid imports from the southeast Asian nation amid prevailing tensions between the two countries.
- The association issued a short advisory asking its members, including importer-crushers and processors, to avoid importing palm oil from Malaysia till clarity emerges.
- India’s total annual palm oil import is approximately 9 million tonne out of which around 3-3.5 million tonne is imported from Malaysia and rest from Indonesia, another major palm oil producing country.
- Palm oil accounts for almost two-thirds of the country’s total edible oil imports.
- In the first nine months of 2019, India was the biggest buyer of Malaysian palm oil, taking 3.9 million tonnes, as per the industry data.
Bangladesh Cricket Board to settle issues of striking players amicably- CEO
- Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Nizamuddin Chowdhury has said the board will amicably settle the 11-point demands raised by the cricketers.
- Earlier in the day national cricketers of Bangladesh had announced that they will boycott all cricketing activities till their 11point charter of demands is not met.
- The discontent among the Bangladeshi cricketers has been brewing after the Bangladesh Cricket Board announced that it will scrap the franchise-based model for Bangladesh Premier League matches.
Canada Elections 2019: Trends show PM Trudeau to hold onto power
- Canada's Election results early trends show Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to hold onto power in a nail-biter contest. Canadian Broadcasters TVA and CTV declared Trudeau's party leading in 139 of the 338 electoral districts. One hundred and seventy seats are needed to form a majority government.
- The reports claimed that Trudeau will form a minority government. Trudeau's rival Andrew Scheer and the Conservatives were leading on 99 when the last report came in.
- In 2015, Justin Trudeau's party had secured a solid majority by winning 184 seats.
Dr Harsh Vardhan shares PM Modi's vision for inclusive health at G20 Okayama Health Ministers' Conference
- India has highlighted Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision of 'Sab Ka Saath - Sab Ka Vikas - Sab Ka Vishwas' for inclusive health along with scheme -- Ayushman Bharat, at the on-going two-day G20 Okayama Health Ministers' Conference in Japan.
- Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan, who represented India at the conference in Okayama City, also highlighted Mr Modi's vision of FIT India Movement and Eat Right campaigns.
- The deliberations of the G20 Health Ministers focused on four major global health issues like the achievement of Universal Health Coverage, response to population ageing, management of health risks and health security management including Anti-Microbial Resistance and its containment.
Government launches BHIM 2.0 with new functionalities, additional language support
- The Union IT Ministry has unveiled a slew of new initiatives and programmes, including BHIM 2.0 that packs-in new functionalities, supports additional languages and has increased transaction limits.
- Some of the striking features marking BHIM 2.0 include a ‘Donation’ gateway, increased transaction limits for high value transactions, linking multiple bank accounts, offers from merchants, option of applying in IPO, gifting money.
- The new version of BHIM also supports three additional languages — Konkani, Bhojpuri and Haryanvi — over and above the existing 13.
- BHIM app, a UPI based payment interface developed by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) that allows real time fund transfer, was launched in December, 2016.
Hao defeat ends Anand’s chances
- Wang Hao ended Viswanathan Anand’s slim hopes of claiming the lone qualifying spot for the Candidates Tournament, handing out a 28-move defeat in the 10th and penultimate round of the FIDE Chess.com Grand Swiss tournament.
India, Maldives to take forward defence ties
- With the recent improvement in relations, India and the Maldives will take forward several pending measures to promote defence cooperation in the next few months. These include lease of a Dornier aircraft, bringing the Maldives under India’s coastal radar chain network and a broad-based humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HADR) exercise.
- A proposal for a joint humanitarian assistance and disaster relief exercise is in the works. The aim is to draft all agencies of both countries involved in the area.
- India had earlier gifted the Maldives two ALHs in 2013 and each was operated by the Indian Coast Guard and the Indian Navy.
Infosys accused by whistleblowers of 'unethical' practices to boost numbers, says report
- ITmajor Infosys has been accused of indulging in “unethical” practices to boost its short-term revenues and profits by a group comprising of anonymous employee of the IT giant describing themselves as “ethical employees.
- The group has filed complaint with the Infosys board and the US Securities and Exchange Board (SEC), adding that the whistleblowers have emails and voice recordings in evidence of their claims.
- Infosys CEO Salil Parekh has been accused of bypassing reviews and approvals for large deals.
- Responding to the development, Infosys in a statement has said that it has placed the whistleblower complaint before its audit committee as per the company norms.
Johnson’s push for Brexit deal vote blocked
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's faces a potentially perilous ratification of his Brexit divorce deal in the British parliament after the speaker refused to allow a vote on it on Monday. With just 10 days left until the United Kingdom is due to leave the EU on Oct. 31, the divorce is again in disarray as Britain's politicians argue over whether to leave with a deal, exit without a deal or hold another referendum.
Kartarpur MoU to be signed tomorrow
- India and Pakistan are all set to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on October 23 for the opening of the Kartarpur corridor that will link two important Sikh shrines on either side. India has asked Pakistan to reconsider its demand of charging $20 service fee a pilgrim.
- The corridor is being built by both nations to connect Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur and Gurdwara Darbar Sahib in Pakistan’s Kartarpur, the final resting place of Guru Nanak, to commemorate the 550th birth anniversary of the founder of Sikhism on November 12.
Morales narrowly wins first round in Bolivia poll
- Evo Morales, seeking a controversial fourth term, led Bolivia’s presidential election race on Sunday but faces a historic second round run-off against opposition rival Carlos Mesa, partial results showed
- Morales had 45 percent of the vote to Mesa's 38 percent.
- Elected Bolivia's first indigenous president in 2005, Morales has won all his previous elections in the first round, never having to contest a run-off.
- Morales has led the poor but resource-rich Latin American country for the past 13 years, but his popularity has waned amid allegations of corruption and authoritarianism.
Mr. Prasad unveils new initiatives to mark first MeitY Start-up Summit
- Hon’ble Minister for Electronics & Information Technology, Communications and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad has inaugurated MeitY Startup Summit 2019 on 21st October in New Delhi and interacted with leading Tech Entrepreneurs.
- MeitY Startup Summit 2019 is a groundbreaking step towards bringing together key stakeholders to deliberate on how tech startups would catalyse the socio-economic growth of India by leveraging emerging technologies.
- MeitY Startup Hub (MSH) has been set up in order to facilitate MeitY's vision of promoting technology innovation, startups and creation of Intellectual Properties.
- As a nodal agency, Software Technology Parks of India (STPI), an organisation under MeitY, is entrusted with the implementation of MSH.
NBFCs raise Rs. 2.36 lakh cr. in one year via loan sale
- The non-banking finance companies sector (NBFC), which is witnessing a crisis of confidence with some players defaulting on repayment, has raised a whopping Rs. 2.36 lakh crore in the last 12 months by selling loans.
- NBFCs and housing finance companies (HFCs) were forced to sell loans to mobilise resources as banks had almost stopped lending to the sector.
- The unprecedented increase in sell-down volumes reflects the choking of traditional on-balance sheet borrowing channels such as loans, bonds and commercial paper issuances.
Netanyahu fails to form new Israeli government; rival Gantz poised to take up the challenge
- Israeli long-standing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has informed the President of his inability to form a new government. His attempts to form a coalition government with Gantz's party failed repeatedly.
- Israel's President Reuven Rivlin has said that he would give Blue and White party leader Benny Gantz the next chance to form a new government. Gantz will have 28 days to form a government.
- Any lawmaker with a majority of at least 61 members would be able to form a government in 120 member assembly.
Reliance Jio hints it won’t raise tariffs
- Reliance Jio has hinted that it will not raise tariffs even after becoming India’s largest telecom company by number of subscribers, and will focus on adding more users, meaning margin stress in the sector for other operators is likely to continue for the coming quarters.
Siachen now open for tourism, says Rajnath Singh
- The Siachen glacier is now open for tourists and tourism, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said on Monday after inaugurating a strategically important bridge on the Shyok river in Eastern Ladakh.
- The ‘Col Chewang Rinchen Setu’ was constructed by the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) at an altitude of 14650 feet in the forward area of Ladakh region.
- From Siachen Base Camp to Kumar Post, the entire area has been opened for Tourism purposes
- There is already a civil trek from the Siachen Base Camp to the Kumar post located at about 15,500 feet facilitated by the Army.
Total wealth in India touches $12.6 trillion
- As per a Credit Suisse study, the total wealth in India increased fourfold between 2000 and 2019, reaching $12.6 trillion in 2019, making India the fifth globally in terms of the number of ultra-high net-worth individuals.
- According to the study, the wealth per adult in India grew by an average of 11% annually over the period 2000–2019 and the wealth per adult is estimated at $14,569 in mid-2019 after a year of moderate growth.
- India has 8.27 lakh adults in the top 1% of global wealth holders – 1.6% share of the global pool — it is estimated that India has 4,460 adults with wealth of over $50 million and 1,790 that have more than $100 million.
- However, the study also found that while the number of wealthy people in India has been on the rise, a larger section of the population has still not been part of the growth in overall wealth.
U.P. tops in crimes against women, says NCRB report
- After a delay of two years the annual Crime in India Report 2017 was published by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB).
- As per the report, 3,59,849 cases of crime against women were reported in the country. Uttar Pradesh topped the list with 56,011 cases followed by Maharashtra with 31,979 cases and West Bengal 30,002.
- Delhi has recorded over 40% of total crime reported across 19 metropolitan cities in the county in 2017 with Bengaluru taking the second position at 8.9% followed by Mumbai at 7.4%
- Majority of cases under crimes against women were registered under ‘Cruelty by Husband or his Relatives’ (27.9%) followed by ‘Assault on Women with Intent to Outrage her Modesty’ (21.7%), ‘Kidnapping & Abduction of Women’ (20.5%) and ‘Rape’ (7.0%),
Winter session from Nov. 18 to Dec. 13
- The winter session of Parliament will begin on November 18 and end on December 13. A number of bills are likely to be taken up during the winter session.
- This is the first session of parliament after the monsoon session was extended in August for the government's move on Jammu and Kashmir. Two key ordinances, to be converted into law during the session, are on the list in the winter session.
- One is for reducing corporate tax rate for new and domestic manufacturing companies to stop the slowdown in the economy and boost growth.
- The second ordinance, also issued in September, banned the sale, manufacture and storage of e-cigarettes and similar products.