Daily Current Affairs - 08th Nov 2019
10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine held in New Delhi
- The 10th Asian Conference of Emergency Medicine (ACEM) was inaugurated by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi. The conference will be held from 7-10 November 2019. This is the first time that the biennial conference is being held in India.
- It is organized by Asian Society for Emergency Medicine (ASEM) and Society for Emergency Medicine India (SEMI) in support of other organizations to build strategies for emergency care across Asia.
- The Government of India has made it mandatory for all medical college hospitals to have full-fledged Emergency Departments by 2022 with an aim to improve trauma care.
15th Governing Council of SACEP 2019 held in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- The Union Minister for Environment, Forest and climate change & Information and Broadcasting(I&B), Prakash Javadekar, has participated in the 15th governing council meeting (GCM) of the South Asia Cooperative Environment Programme 2019 (SACEP) in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- The meet with the SACEP members countries witnessed the issues of plastic waste management, biodiversity and other issues related to the environment were discussed among South Asian Member countries.
2nd ‘No money for terror conference 2019’ held in Australia
- The 2nd ‘No Money for Terror’ 2019 conference going on in Melbourne, Australia. Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, G.Kishan Reddy is leading a five-member delegation to the ‘No Money For Terror’ Ministerial Conference taking place in Melbourne, Australia.
- This conference is Organised by Financial Intelligence Units (FIUs) of over 100 countries.
- The first “No Money for Terror” conference was held in France in 2018. India would host the next ‘No Money For Terror’ Conference in 2020.
China kicks off 6G telecom service R&D amid aggressive 5G push
- China has officially commenced the research and development of the 6G telecom service, days after launching 5G cellular services in the country in a bid to advance its ambitious goal to emerge as a global leader in the next generation telecom technology, surpassing the US and the western countries.
- China has unveiled superfast 5G network all over the country on October 31. State-owned carriers China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom have unveiled their 5G data services all over the country as China, which is embroiled in trade and technology war with US, hopes to woo India and the world with its 5G services replacing the current 4G networks.
Dr. Vinaya Shetty appointed as IODA’s 1st Indian and Asian General Vice President
- Dr Vinaya Shetty is the first Indian to be elected to the position of General Vice President (GVP), International Organization Development Association (IODA) since its inception in 1986.
- She has helped in change and transformation of numerous organizations across industries in India and has been contributing to facilitating IODA’s efforts since 2009.
- In 2016, Vinaya became the first Indian woman entrepreneur finalist for the prestigious Empretec Women in Business Award by United Nations Conference Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
Former Maharashtra minister Babasaheb Dhabekar passes away
- Former Maharashtra minister and senior Congress party leader Babasaheb Dhabekar passed away. He served as water resource minister in the 1990s during the Shiv Sena-BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) alliance government.
India beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets in 2nd T-20 match
- In Cricket, India beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets in the Second T-20 match at Rajkot, levelling the 3-match series 1-1.
- Put in to bat first Bangladesh set a target of 154 runs.
- In reply, stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma, who was playing his 100th T-20, went all guns blazing and scored 85 in 43 balls. The final T-20 and the series decider will be played in Nagpur.
Infosys Prize 2019 for science and research
- The Infosys Prize for 2019 was announced at the Infosys campus in Bengaluru. The award is given annually to honour outstanding achievements of contemporary researchers and scientists across six categories are:
- 1. Humanities: Manu V. Devadevan
- 2. Life Sciences: Manjula Reddy
- 3. Mathematical Sciences: Sidhartha Mishra
- 4. Physical Sciences: G. Mugesh
- 5. Social Sciences: Anand Pandian
- 6. Engineering and Computer Science: Sunita Sarawagi.
- The annual award includes a pure gold medal, a citation and a prize purse worth $100,000 or it’s equivalent in the Indian rupees.
International Conference on Soil and Water Resources Management held in New Delhi
- The ‘International Conference on Soil and Water Resources Management for Climate Smart Agriculture and Global Food and Livelihood Security’ is held at National Agricultural Science Centre (NASC) Complex in New Delhi.
- The conference was jointly organized by Soil Conservation Society of India (SCSI) in association with World Association of Soil and Water Conservation (WASWAC), China and International Soil Conservation Organization (ISCO), U.S.A.
IRDAI directs Reliance Health Insurance to stop selling new policies
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has directed the standalone health insurance arm of Reliance Capital — Reliance Health Insurance — to transfer its entire portfolio to Reliance General Insurance and stopped it from selling new policies.
- The regulator has also directed Reliance Health Insurance, which commenced operations in October 2018, to transfer all the investments pertaining to policyholders, along with its financial assets, to Reliance General with effect from November 15.
IRDAI issues draft norms on wellness services in health insurance products
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) issued draft guidelines on the wellness and preventive features in health insurance products to enhance the scope of services offered.
- It said that the wellness and preventive features shall be designed only with the objective of maintaining good health and improving it, and that insurers should factor in the pricing impact of the wellness and preventive features offered and disclose the same in the 'File and Use' or 'Use and File' application.
National Cancer Awareness Day 2019: November 7th
- The National Cancer Awareness Day is observed annually in India on November 7, to spread awareness on cancer, its symptoms and treatment.
- The day was first observed in 2014 as and when announced by the union health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan. The day coincides with the birth anniversary of scientist Marie Curie (Marie Sklodowska Curie), winner of the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics.
NMCG organized ‘Ganga Utsav’ in New Delhi
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) organized the ‘Ganga Utsav’ in Major Dhyanchand stadium in New Delhi to mark the 11th anniversary of Ganga being declared as national river. It was organized in coordination with Union Jal Shakti Ministry.
- The event was organised in a bid to create awareness and gather public participation in efforts to clean River Ganga and its tributaries.
PM Modi inaugurates two-day Global investors’ meet in Dharamshala
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated a two-day Himachal Pradesh Global investors’ meet – ‘Rising Himachal’ in Dharamshala. The event is being organised by the Himachal Pradesh government to attract investment and create employment opportunities in the state. Ambassadors from 16 countries, 209 foreign delegates along with local entrepreneurs will participate in the mega event.
Rajasthan Patrika group chairman Gulab Kothari wins Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award by PCI
- The Press Council of India (PCI) has awarded this year’s Raja Ram Mohan Roy National Award for Excellence in Journalism to Rajasthan Patrika group chairman Gulab Kothari. The awards will be presented on the occasion of National Press Day on 16 November 2019.
- The selection of awardees was carried out by a jury comprising of eminent members of PCI like Jai Shankar Gupta, Balwinder Singh and Ashok Upadhyaya among others.
ReSAREX-2019: ICG conducts Regional level Search and Rescue Workshop and Exercise-2019
- The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) conducted the ‘Regional Level Search and Rescue Workshop and Exercise 2019’: ReSAREX- 19 off Goa coast. The two-day event was organised by Coast Guard District Headquarters-11 (Goa) to test efficiency and preparedness of ICG.
- The exercise comprised of a search and rescue workshop and table top exercise, followed by a search and rescue exercise at sea.
Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian male cricketer to play 100 T20I
- Stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma became the first Indian man and second in world cricket to complete 100 T-20 Internationals.
- He reached the milestone when he led the team in the second match against Bangladesh at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium. Shoaib Malik with 111 games from Pakistan is the only player to have played more than 100 T20 Internationals.
- Rohit is currently the top-scorer in this format with 2452 runs with regular skipper Virat Kohli second in the list with an aggregate of 2450 runs. Rohit has scored the runs at a strike-rate of 136.67 with four hundreds and 17 half-centuries.
Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan re-elected as President of UAE
- The UAE’s Supreme Council of the Union has re-elected His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan as its President for a 4th five-year term, in accordance with the provisions of the UAE Constitution. He was first elected President on November 3, 2004, following the death of his father Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan.
West Bengal based writer Abhisek Sarkar wins award at Dhaka Lit-fest
- The ninth edition of the Dhaka Lit-fest started with a galaxy of writers and book lovers thronging the venue ground at the Bangla Academy.
- The special focus of this year's lit-fest is on Indigenous Languages as the UNESCO has marked 2019 as the year of Indigenous Language Protection.
- On the first day of the event, West Bengal-based writer Abhisek Sarkar and Bangladeshi poet Rofiquzzaman Rony were given the Gemcon Young Literature Award and Gemcon Young Poetry Award.
- Abhisek and Rofiquzzaman won the awards for their manus, "Nishiddho" and "Dhoashar Tamate Rong," respectively.
Women’s boxing icon Nicola Adams announced retirement
- Two-time Olympic boxing champion Nicola Adams announced her retirement from the sport on medical advice due to the vulnerability of losing eyesight.
- She became the first-ever women’s Olympic boxing champion at London 2012 in the United Kingdom (UK), and also the first female boxer to become a double Olympic champion after winning a second gold medal at the Rio Olympics 2016, in Brazil.