Daily Current Affairs - 12th Nov 2019
550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev ji being celebrated on November 12
- The 550th birth anniversary of first Sikh guru and founder of Sikhism Guru Nanak Dev is being celebrated on November 12 on Tuesday as Prakash Parv. Guru Nanak Dev Ji spent more than 15 years at Sultanpur Lodhi, where he attained enlightenment. Devotees organize langar at various places on this occasion.
- Guru Nanak Dev Ji was a philosopher, social reformer, thinker and poet.
- Guru Nanak Dev was born on the full moon day of Kartik month in 1469. Every year, the Prakash Parv is celebrated on the same day, also known as Kartik Poornima.
Australia: New South Wales and Queensland declare state of emergency
- In Australia, the states of New South Wales and Queensland have declared a state of emergency, following the widespread bush fires which took at least three lives.
- Thousands have been displaced by three days of dangerous weather conditions and bring a catastrophic threat to heavily populated areas of the nation's east. More than 120 bush fires are burning across the two states.
BRICS trade ministers meeting begins in Brasilia
- BRICS trade ministers meeting has started in Brasilia, Brazil. Commerce minister Piyush Goyal is leading the Indian delegation. The meeting will focus on trade facilitation, investment promotion and cooperation in customs among other issues.
- MoU on trade and investment promotion between agencies of all the 5 BRICS countries will be signed after the meeting.
- Later, Power minister R K Singh will attend the meeting of BRICS power ministers where deliberations will focus on clean energy and harnessing the strengths of each other in the energy sector.
China objects to US plan to take Dalai Lama's succession issue to UN
- China has objected to the US' plan to take up the issue of Dalai Lama's successor to the United Nations, accusing USA of misusing the world body to interfere in its internal affairs. China has been asserting that its assent to the Dalai Lama's successor is a must as the Tibetan spiritual leader turned 84 in July this year.
- In recent months, the Trump administration has stepped up the pressure on China to relax controls over Tibet.
EU powers 'extremely concerned' by Iran's nuclear deal breach
- France, Germany, Britain and the European Union have said they are extremely concerned by Iran's decision to restart nuclear activities at one of its key sites. In a joint statement, they expressed concern that Iran is restarting uranium enrichment activities at the Fordow facility.
- They said that Iran's action was "inconsistent" with the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPoA, under which Tehran had agreed to curb some of its nuclear activities- notably uranium enrichment- in return for a lifting of economic sanctions.
- The IAEA report also confirmed that Iran has ramped up uranium enrichment, with its stockpile now reaching the equivalent of 551 kilogrammes, as opposed to the 300-kilogramme limit laid down in the JCPoA.
Former President of Bolivia Evo Morales accepts offer of political asylum in Mexico
- Former President of Bolivia Evo Morales has accepted an offer of political asylum in Mexico, a day after his resignation amid election fraud protests. Morales left Bolivia on a Mexican military aeroplane on Monday night.
- Mexico says the decision to offer asylum to the former president was taken for humanitarian reasons after a request from him.
- Bolivia's first indigenous leader stepped down after the head of the army publicly called on him to leave his post.
Gambia accuses Myanmar for genocide of Rohingyas; takes matter to UN court
- West African Nation Gambia has filed a case at the United Nations' highest court accusing Myanmar of genocide in its campaign against its Rohingyas. It has asked the International Court of Justice in the Hague to urgently order measures to stop what it called Myanmar's genocidal conduct immediately.
- Gambia filed the case on behalf of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation(OIC).
- Thousands of Rohingya were killed and more than 700,000 fled to neighbouring Bangladesh during an army crackdown in the Buddhist-majority country in 2017.
Golden Jubilee of IFFI starts on November 20 in Goa
- The Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India, IFFI starts on 20th November in Goa. The International Film Festival Of India (IFFI) is the first International Film Festival held anywhere in Asia.
- 2019 marks the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of IFFI. It will feature over 200 best films from 76 countries, 26 feature films and 15 non-feature films in Indian panorama section.
- French actor Isabella Huppert will be honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award at this edition in Goa. Legendary Superstar Rajnikant will be honoured as the Special Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI.
Gujarat government gives nod for world’s first CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar
- Gujarat Government has given its nod to the world’s first CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar. The U.K. based Foresight group and Mumbai based Padmanabh Mafatlal group joint venture will invest Rs.1900 crore to set up a CNG port terminal at Bhavnagar port.
- The proposed CNG port terminal will have annual capacity of 6 million matric tone, which will increase the total handling capacity of the port to 9 million matric tones.
- The new facility will be developed in the Northen side of present port, under which RoRo(Roll-on/roll-off) terminal, liquid terminal and container terminal will be developed in future.
- The consortium has proposed an investment of Rs.1,900 crore in two phases with Rs 1,300 crore in the first phase and Rs 600 crore in the second phase through the 'Swiss challenge' method.
Industrial Production Shrinks By 4.3% In September
- Industrial activity in September contracted sharply by 4.3%, a historical low in over six years, driven by major slowdowns in the capital goods, mining, and manufacturing sectors, according to official data.
- In terms of industries, seventeen out of 23 industry groups in the manufacturing sector have shown negative growth during the month of September 2019 as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year.
- A slowdown was witnessed in the manufacturing sector, which declined by 3.9 per cent in September as compared to 4.8 per cent growth a year ago.
- The power generation sector output dipped 2.6 per cent in September, compared to 8.2 per cent growth in the year-ago period.
- Mining output too fell by 8.5 per cent in the month under review as against 0.1 per cent growth in the corresponding period last financial year.
IOCL gets environmental clearance to set up 2G ethanol plant in Panipat
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has given environment clearance to Indian Oil Corporation Limited to set up new 2G Ethanol plant at Panipat. This project not only promotes use of environmentally friendly fuel but also aids in fulfilment of government's goal of doubling farmers’ income.
Javelin thrower Sundar Singh wins gold in World Para Athletics Championships
- Javelin thrower Sundar Singh Gurjar has won India's second gold defending his World Para Athletics Championships title in the men's F46 javelin throw event in Dubai.
- Gurjar came up with his season's best effort of 61.22m to claim the top spot. India now have two gold, two silver and a bronze in the Championships.
- With this, India has secured three Tokyo Paralympic Games quota, along with the bronze winner Ajeet Singh and Rinku.
Keith Vaz retires after 32 years as UK MP
- Keith Vaz, the longest-serving Indian-origin MP in the House of Commons, has announced his retirement from Parliament after 32 years in the wake of a drugs scandal. Vaz had been the Labour Party's MP for Leicester East since 1987.
- Vaz had played a prominent role in the India-UK relations over the years and hosted numerous Indian ministers and MPs during their visit to Britain.
Maharashtra Governor asks NCP to form govt as Shiv Sena fails to produce letter of support
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari has asked Nationalist Congress Party to indicate its willingness and ability to form a new government in the state. The NCP has been given time till 8:30 tonight in this regard.
- The Sharad Pawar led-party has emerged as the third-largest party in the recently held Maharashtra Assembly elections. NCP has 54 MLAs in the 288-member Assembly, while BJP bagged 105 seats and Shiv Sena 56.
- Earlier, Governor made similar offers to BJP and Shiv Sena. While BJP declined the offer, Shiv Sena failed to produce letters of support to form a government. Mr Koshyari has rejected Sena's plea for extension of time in this regard.
Overseas investors remain net buyers as FPIs invest over Rs 12,000 cr in November
- Overseas investors remained net buyers in the domestic capital markets with an investment of over 12,000 crore rupees in November so far as market sentiments improved following economic reforms by the government.
- The latest depositories data showed that Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPI) infused around 6,434 crore rupees in equities and 5,674 crore rupees in debt segment between first to ninth of this month.
- This took the total net investment in the domestic markets (both equity and debt) to around 12,108 crore rupees.
- In October, FPIs invested around 16,465 crore rupees while in September they had put in 6,558 crore rupees.
Public Service Broadcasting Day to be celebrated on November 12
- Public Service Broadcasting Day is be celebrated on November 12 every year. This day is celebrated every year to commemorate the first and last visit of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi to the studio of All India Radio, Delhi in 1947.
- The Father of the Nation addressed the displaced people, who had temporarily settled at Kurukshetra in Haryana after partition.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins silver medal in Men's 10m air pistol event at Asian Championship
- Saurabh Chaudhary claimed the silver medal in men's 10m air pistol event to continue India's surge at the 14th Asian Championship in Doha. He shot 244.5 to finish second on the podium behind North Korea's Kim Song Guk, who won the top prize with a world record 246.5.
- In all, India picked up eight medals on the day. India won six Olympic quotas across events from the prestigious championship, taking their total to 15.
Saurav Ghosal to face Mohamed Shorbagy in pre-quarterfinals of PSA World Squash Championship
- India's tenth seeded Saurav Ghosal will face Egyptian world No. 2 Mohamed El Shorbagy in pre-quarterfinals of PSA Men's World Squash Championship in Doha. Earlier, Saurav Ghosal defeated seasoned Frenchman Frenchman Lucas Serme 11-8, 11-5, 11-5.
Sumit Nagal attains career-best ranking
- Indian tennis player Sumit Nagpal moved two places up in men's singles rankings and achieved his career-best 127th spot in the latest Association of Tennis Professional (ATP) rankings. Nagpal currently has 433 points while Rafael Nadal retained the top rank with 9,585 points.
- In doubles rankings, Rohan Bopanna, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja have all moved up the ladder and currently hold 38th, 46th, and 93rd rank respectively.