Daily Current Affairs - 13th Nov 2019
Bolivian Senator Anez takes office as interim President
- Bolivian Senator Jeanine Anez has declared herself interim President of the South American country in Congress despite a lack of a quorum to appoint her in a legislative session boycotted by lawmakers from former President Evo Morales' leftist party.
- As the Senate’s second vice president, Jeanine Áñez is moving to take temporary control of the Senate, which could elevate her to the post of national president.
Boxers Ankit Narwal, Aman advance to quarterfinals of Asian Youth Championships
- Two Indian boxers -- Ankit Narwal and Aman advanced to the quarterfinals of the Asian Youth Championships at Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia. Aman defeated Uzbekistan's Makhmudov Mimukhsin 5-0 in 60 kg category. Ankit prevailed 3-2 over Mongolia's Tulga Oyunbaatarin 91 kg category.
- India were assured of two medals in the event after Komalpreet Kaur (81kg) and Sushma (81kg) got direct entry into the semifinals owing to the small size of their respective draws in the women's competition.
India calls for coordinated global action against cyber terrorism
- India has called for coordinated action by nations, bilaterally or multilaterally, to prevent the forces of terrorism and extremism from building presence in the digital domain.
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, at the Paris Peace Forum, said that countries should consider entering into arrangements for speedy action and mitigation on issues pertaining to the governance of cyberspace and specific security threats.
- India has joined France, New Zealand, Canada and several other countries in launching a major initiative to combat terrorism and extremism online and secure the internet.
India To Host Shanghai Summit's Heads Of Government Council Meet In 2020
- India will host the 19th council of heads of government of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation next year, the first such high level meeting of the eight-member grouping to be organised by New Delhi after its admission into the grouping in 2017.
- The SCO is a China-led eight-member economic and security bloc in which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017. Its founding members included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
- The SCO has four observer states, namely Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia. It has six dialogue partners, namely Azerbaijan, Armenia, Cambodia, Nepal, Turkey and Sri Lanka.
Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal of Delhi High Court to be appointed as CCI member
- The proposal to appoint Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal, Judge of the Delhi High Court, as a Judicial Member in the Competition Commission of India has been approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet, Government of India.
- As per a Central Government Information Note dated November 11, Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal would serve as a member in the Competition Commission for five years or until she attains the age of 65 years or until further orders.
- Justice Dhingra is set to retire as the Judge of the High Court in June next year.
Parliamentary panel expresses concern over rising number of cancer patients
- A Parliamentary panel has expressed serious concern over the rising number of cancer patients in the country. It suggested setting up of a High-Level Steering Committee to work out modalities for rolling out of a Hub and Spoke Model in a time-bound manner.
- It also urged the government to expand and upgrade cancer treatment infrastructure for affordable and quality care by enlarging the network of the Mumbai-based Tata Memorial Centre.
- The recommendation was made by the Department-related Standing Committee on Science and Technology, Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- The Committee also noted with concern the very high incidence of cancer in all North Eastern States. The Committee, headed by Jairam Ramesh, expressed concern, saying that over 68 per cent of cancer patients are dying in the country.
PM Narendra Modi leaves for Brazil to attend BRICS Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has left for Brazil on November 12 to attend the 11th BRICS Summit. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will have bilateral meetings with Russian President Vladimir Putin and the Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- The summit will take place on 14th November. The theme of 2019 BRICS summit is ‘Economic Growth for an Innovative Future’.
- During the summit, the leaders will discuss intra BRICS cooperation for the economic development of BRICS societies.
- BRICS will also discuss counter-terrorism cooperation as one of its priority areas this year. BRICS Innovation Network, BRICS Institute of Future Network and a Women Business Alliance will also be launched this year.
Prakash Javadekar gets heavy industries portfolio as Arvind Sawant quits
- The President of India has assigned Union Minister Prakash Javadekar the heavy industries and public enterprises portfolio after Arvind Sawant, the minister in charge, resigned on Monday.
- Javadekar is already in charge of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, and the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- Arvind Sawant is a Shiv Sena leader.
Pravind Jugnauth sworn in as Mauritius PM
- Mauritius's incumbent Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth was sworn in for a five-year term after elections in which his coalition consolidated its grip on parliament. The Morisian Alliance claimed 42 of 70 seats in parliament, trouncing the centre-left National Alliance of Navin Ramgoolam, which got 17 seats, and the Mauritian Militant Movement of Paul Berenger, which garnered nine seats.
- President Barlen Vyapoory
President's rule imposed in Maharashtra
- President's rule has been imposed in Maharashtra. The state legislative assembly has been kept under suspended animation. This follows Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari's report to the Centre which stated that the formation of a stable government is impossible in the current situation despite all his efforts.
- The development came as the political impasse lingered on for 19 days after the assembly election results were declared.
Private equity firm Sanaka Capital to inject Rs 525 cr in Edelweiss Global
- The Edelweiss group has secured another round of funding for its advisory business. The company announced that private equity firm Sanaka Capital has committed to invest Rs 525 crore into Edelweiss Global Investment Advisors (EGIA).
- Sanaka Capital will initially invest Rs 308 crore in EGIA and a further Rs 217 crore on a later date if talks are successful.
- Edelweiss said these investment partnerships are part of the strategic growth plan, whereby the group will operate three separate businesses — credit, investment advisory, and insurance.
SBI cuts India's GDP growth forecast to 4.2% for Q2, 5% for FY20
- State Bank of India, the country's largest lender, has predicted that India's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth may slip to a record low of 4.2 per cent in the second quarter amid low automobile sales, deceleration in air traffic movements, flattening of core sector growth and declining investment in construction and infrastructure.
- The lender has also cut GDP forecast for FY20 to 5 per cent from 6.1 per cent earlier but expects growth rate to pick up pace in FY21 to 6.2 per cent.
- India GDP growth has already hit a 6-year low of 5 per cent during June quarter of this fiscal (Q1FY20).
Situation critical: Vodafone's future in India in doubt after court ruling
- Vodafone Group chief executive Nick Read has described the status of its joint venture in India as critical in the wake of a Supreme Court order that left the telecom company facing thousands of crores in additional statutory dues.
- He stated that the Indian Vodafone unit’s “carrying value” had been reduced to zero, while also citing unsupportive regulation (and) excessive taxes.
- Read said the Vodafone Group won’t infuse any further equity into Vodafone Idea Ltd (VIL), having written down the value of its joint venture with the Aditya Birla Group to zero after the Supreme Court ruling on adjusted gross revenue (AGR).
States should scrap APMCs and move on to eNAM: FM
- The Centre is in talks with several States to dismantle the Agricultural Produce Market Committees (APMCs) and move on to eNAM, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said.
- eNAM (National Agriculture Market) is a pan-India online trading platform for agricultural commodities.
- Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC) is basically a marketing board established by a State governments to ensure farm to retail price spread does not reach excessively high levels and farmers are safeguarded from exploitation by large retailers.
Thousands of migratory birds die mysteriously in Rajasthan’s Sambhar Lake
- Thousands of migratory birds of about ten species were found dead around Sambhar Lake, the country’s largest inland saltwater lake near Jaipur, sending shock waves among locals and authorities. The birds were discovered around Sambhar Lake, 80km (49 miles) south-west of the city of Jaipur, in the northern state of Rajasthan.
- The deaths are being investigated by government agencies.
- The birds include ruddy shelduck, ruddy turnstone, northern shoveler, blackwinged stilt and common coot.
Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah maintain top positions in ICC ODI ranking
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah have maintained their top spots in the latest ICC ODI Player Rankings. Kohli is at the top of the rankings for batsmen, followed by his deputy Rohit Sharma.
- In the bowlers' rankings, Bumrah maintained his top spot followed by New Zealand's pacer Trent Boult.
- England's World Cup hero Ben Stokes tops the chart of all arounders followed by Mohammad Nabi of Afghanistan. Hardik Pandya is the only Indian to feature in the top 10 among all-rounders.
“Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan” – Beach Cleaning Drive in 50 identified beaches of India begins
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEF&CC) are undertaking a mass cleanliness-cum-awareness drive in 50 identified beaches under the "Swachh – Nirmal Tat Abhiyaan", from 11th -17th November, 2019.
- Th objective of the programme is to make beaches clean and create awareness amongst citizens about the importance of coastal ecosystems
- The identified beaches are in 10 coastal States/Union Territories (UTs) namely Gujarat, Daman & Diu, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Andhra Pradesh, and Odisha.
- The cleaning drives in all beaches are being undertaken, involving school/college students of Eco-clubs, district administration, institutions, volunteers, local communities and other stakeholders.
- State Nodal Agencies for the Eco-clubs will be facilitating the weeklong intensive cleanliness drive in all 10 States/UTs.