Daily Current Affairs - 07th Dec 2019
Aberdeen in Andaman and Nicobar Islands adjudged best police station in Country
- Aberdeen Police station in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands ranks first in the list of the best-performing police stations in the country while dealing with a property offence, a crime against women and weaker sections.
- Balasinor police station in Gujarat secured the second rank while and Ajk Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh got the 3rd position.
- The Union Home Ministry released the list of ten best-performing Police stations in the country.
- The ranking of top ten Police Stations out of over 15 thousand 500 Police Stations in the country was done through data analysis, direct observation and public feedback.
Defence Ministry to hold plogging program as part of Swachhta Pakhwada
- The Union Defence Ministry is organising a massive plogging programme at more than 400 locations throughout the country as part of the activities of Swachhta Pakhwada. The aim of this exercise is to raise awareness amongst the community, collect plastic waste and make the surroundings clean.
- Community awareness programmes such as nukkadnataks, debates, quizzes, painting competitions among students will also be organised.
Diabetic population in country is close to hitting alarming mark of 69.9 million by 2025: MoS AYUSH
- The diabetic population in the country is close to hitting the alarming mark of 69.9 million by 2025, which is expected to witness an increase of 266 per cent. This was stated by Minister of State for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy Shripad Naik in a written reply in the Lok Sabha on Friday.
- The Minister said that the Centre of Research in Ayurveda Sciences, an autonomous body under Ayush Ministry, has been engaged in extending research-oriented Ayurveda based or integrative health care services for the management of Madhumeha, which is Diabetes Mellitus.
Former IPS officer K Vijay Kumar appointed senior security adviser in home ministry
- K Vijay Kumar, who was until recently the adviser to the governor in the erstwhile state of Jammu and Kashmir, was appointed a senior security adviser in the Ministry of Home Affairs. Kumar is a retired officer of the Indian Police Service.
- He will advise the ministry on security-related matters of Union Territory of JK [Jammu and Kashmir] and Left Wing Extremism-affected states.
- Kumar has earlier served as the director general of the Central Reserve Police Force and the director of the National Police Academy in Hyderabad. He led the Tamil Nadu Police’s special task force that killed sandalwood smuggler Veerappan in 2004.
Govt asks e-commerce firms to file FDI compliance report annually
- The Union government has made it mandatory for e-commerce companies like Amazon and Flipkart to submit FDI policy compliance report by statutory auditor by September 30 every year, a move aimed at ensuring that they follow all the norms properly.
- Section 15 of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) deals with e-commerce entities.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal had warned e-commerce companies of strict action if they do not halt predatory pricing on their platforms, flouting FDI rules.
- Trader bodies have been raising concern over violation of foreign direct investment (FDI) norms.
India leads medal tally at 13th South Asian Games
- Indian athletes clinched 49 medals comprising 23 golds, 20 silvers and 6 bronzes today in 13th South Asian Games in Kathmandu, Nepal. On 6th day of games, India is on top with a total of 173 medals including 85 gold, 61 silver and 27 bronze medals, when the reports last came in.
NEFT facility to be available round the clock from December 16
- In a bid to promote digital transactions, the Reserve Bank of India has said that round-the-clock transactions will be allowed under the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) system from December 16. The RBI said that the 24x7 NEFT system will be available on all days of the year, including holidays.
- NEFT transactions are settled in hourly batches. For weekdays, the batches are from 8 am to 7 pm. On first and third Saturdays, the settlement happens from 8 am to 1 pm.
OPEC and its allies decide to cut oil production by 5 Lakh barrels per day
- OPEC group of oil-producing countries and their allies, including Russia, have decided to cut oil production by 500,000 barrels per day. In a meeting in Vienna, they agreed to reduce production to stem pressure on prices from abundant reserves and weak global economic growth.
- According to a statement, Ministers gathered at OPEC headquarters decided for an additional adjustment of five lakh barrels per day, effective from 1st January 2020. This would bring production 1.7 million barrels per day below October 2018 levels.
PM Modi meets Mauritius PM, talks bilateral ties and development projects
- India and Mauritius have agreed to work closely to build upon the close multi-faceted bilateral relations and to explore new avenues of engagement, based on mutual interest and priorities. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has met his Mauritian counterpart Pravind Jugnauth in New Delhi.
- Mr Jugnauth expressed deep appreciation for India’s support in many development cooperation projects being implemented in Mauritius, such as the Metro Express Project, ENT Hospital, Social Housing Project, which have brought real benefits to the people.
Priyanka Chopra tops IMDb list of Indian celebrities in 2019
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas tops the list of most sought-after Indian celebrities in a survey conducted by IMDb. The online film database recently released a list of top 10 celebrities in India, with Priyanka listed at number one.
- Priyanka Chopra is followed by Disha Patani on the second spot, followed by Hrithik Roshan, Kiara Advani, Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan, Alia Bhatt, Katrina Kaif, Rakul Preet Singh and Sobhita Dhulipala.
RBL Bank raises Rs 2,025 crore via QIP
- Private sector lender RBL Bank said it has raised Rs 2,025.27 crore from institutional investors through a qualified institutional placement (QIP). The QIP opened on December 2, 2019 and closed on December 5, 2019.
- The bank has successfully concluded the QIP of Rs 2,025 crore at the issue price of Rs 351 per share (including premium of Rs 341) pursuant to the allotment of 5.77 crore equity shares.
- RBL Bank's QIP saw participation from its credit card partner Bajaj Finance as well as other new investors, especially 'long run' foreign institutional investors.
- MD and CEO, RBL Bank: Vishwavir Ahuja
Saudi Aramco announces biggest ever IPO
- Saudi Arabia, state oil company Aramco has set a share price for its much-anticipated initial public offering. Aramco has set a share price that will value the company's initial public offering (IPO) at 25.6 billion Dollar, making it the largest ever seen.
- Aramco said that the IPO will consist of 3 billion shares, or 1.5% of the company, offered for 8.00 to 8.53 Dollar per share.
- Aramco's IPO tops a record-breaking 25 billion-dollar IPO in 2014 from Chinese internet giant Alibaba.
- The move is part of the country's plan to diversify its economy away from its dependence on oil and increase the country's sovereign wealth fund for investment in other projects.
SC judge calls for early legal aid to the poor
- Justice N.V. Ramana, the second senior-most judge of the Supreme Court and executive chairman of the National Legal Services Authority of India, has underscored the need for giving legal assistance to the marginalised as early as when a person is called to a police station on suspicion.
Sebi orders LIC, SBI, Bank of Baroda to reduce stake to below 10% in UTI AMC by December 2020
- Markets regulator Sebi has directed three public sector financial institutions -- LIC, SBI and Bank of Baroda -- to dilute their stakes to below 10 per cent in UTI Asset Management Company (AMC) by December next year.
- In the case of non-compliance with directions, the shareholding and voting rights of these entities in UTI AMC and UTI Trustee in excess of 9.99 per cent and corporate benefits will be frozen till the time they comply with the orders.
- UTI AMC is promoted by four public sector financial institutions as sponsors -- State Bank of India (SBI), Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC), Bank of Baroda (BoB) and Punjab National Bank (PNB) -- with each of them presently holding 18.24 per cent stake in the fund house, while private equity firm T Rowe Price International holds 26 per cent stake in UTI AMC.
T-20 Cricket: India beat West Indies by six wickets in Hyderabad
- India beat West Indies by six wickets in the first match of three-match T-20 series against West Indies played at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad.
- Chasing a total of 207 runs, India made 209 runs for the loss of 4 wickets in 18.4 overs. Skipper Virat Kohli scored 94 while K L Rahul amassed 62 runs. Virat Kohli was adjudged player of the match for his unbeaten knock.
There should be no provision for mercy petition for persons convicted under POCSO Act: President
- President Ram Nath Kovind has said that there should be no provision for mercy petition for the persons convicted under the POCSO Act. He asked the Parliament should to consider the issue. Mr. Kovind said that women safety is a serious issue and a lot of work has been done on it.
Trial run for use of Bangladesh port by Indian cargo ships to start in Jan
- The Indian cargo ships will be able to access Bangladeshi ports for movement of goods soon. This was announced in Dhaka after the conclusion of the secretary-level talks between shipping ministries of the two countries.
- The first trial run will be held in January next year when a cargo ship is expected to operate either through Chittagong or Mongla Port. Based on the experience of the first trial run, further course of action will be decided.
- India and Bangladesh have signed an agreement in October 2018 allowing Indian cargo ships to use Chittagong and Mongla ports of Bangladesh for movement of goods to the North-Eastern states in India.
Vodafone Idea will shut shop if there is no govt support: Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Aditya Birla Group chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla has warned that the group’s telecom unit, Vodafone Idea Ltd, will have to shut shop if there was no relief from the government following the Supreme Court ruling requiring it to pay statutory dues of Rs. 40,000 crore to the department of telecommunications (DoT) within three month.
- Birla, the chairman of Vodafone Idea, said he was hopeful that the company will not find itself in a situation where it would need to exit the market.