Daily Current Affairs - 08th Dec 2019
4th India Water Impact summit held in Delhi
- The Union Minister of Jal Shakti inaugurated the fourth water impact summit in New Delhi. In 2019, the summit is to focus on integrated management of water resources in rural and urban areas. At the summit, the experts from various fields discuss the biggest problems associated with water.
- Theme: Financing of High Impact projects in the water sector
8th India-China joint training exercise commenced in Meghalaya
- The 8th India-China joint training exercise ‘HAND-IN-HAND 2019’ with the theme counter terrorism under United Nations mandate commenced at Joint Training Node (JTN), Umroi in Meghalaya.
- The scope of this exercise covers company level Joint Training on Counter-Terrorism Operation in Semi-Urban Terrain under United Nations Mandate. The exercise is aimed at building and promoting positive relations between both the armies.
Armed Forces Flag Day – December 7
- Armed Forces Flag Day is observed on the 7th of December every year to honour the martyrs and Armed Forces personnel, who safeguard the motherland.
- The day is dedicated towards the collection of funds from people for the welfare of the Armed Forces personnel. The fund collected on this day is also used for the welfare of the serving personnel and ex-servicemen.
Assam govt sets up Anti-Depredation squads
- The Assam government has set up 15 Anti-Depredation Squads of the Forest department to deal with human-wildlife conflicts in the state. The anti-depredation squads will be stationed in 15 major human-wildlife conflict districts of the state to deal with the problem and ensure the safety of both humans and animals.
- The anti-depredation squads will be equipped with all logistics required for mitigating the conflict.
Free WiFi is available at 5,500 railway stations
- Jharkhand's Mahuamilan station, which comes under the East Central Railway zone, has become the 5,500th station to get the facility.
- The Railways began the service of providing free WiFi at its stations from January 2016 from Mumbai Central station, and in a span of 46 months RailTel has extended the service to 5,500 stations across the country.
GST stakeholder Feedback Diwas- December 7
- The central and state authorities organised GST (Goods and Services Tax) Stakeholder Feedback Diwas on 7 December 2019. The aim of organizing this event was to get an on-the-spot response and suggestion to the new system for filing GST Returns to be introduced from next fiscal year.
- The new return form will be made mandatory from 1 April 2020. The programme was organised on the new system for filing returns across 125 cities to get on-the-spot response and suggestion.
IEPFA signs MOU with Bank of Baroda for Investor Awareness
- Investor Education & Protection Fund Authority (IEPFA) which works under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Bank of Baroda (BoB) to spread customer awareness and investor education and reaching out to investors and stakeholders.
- As per the agreement, 9,456 BoB branches will exhibit IEPFA posters on investor protection & 3,115 ATMs (Automated Teller Machine) and Cash Recyclers supported by self-service channels will feature digital banners on IEPFA.
International Civil Aviation Day – December 7
- The International Civil Aviation Day is observed every year on 7 December across the world to generate and reinforce worldwide awareness of importance of international civil aviation to social and economic development.
- It also seeks to highlight unique role of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) in helping member states to cooperate and realize a truly global rapid transit network at the service of all mankind. The theme for International Civil Aviation Day in 2019 is “75 years of connecting the world”.
ISRO sets up space technology cells in premier institutions
- ISRO has set up 5 Space Technology Cells (STCs) at premier institutions like Indian Institute of Technologies (IITs) - Bombay, Kanpur, Kharagpur & Madras; Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru and Joint Research Programme with Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU, Pune) to carry out research activities in the areas of space technology and applications.
- ISRO desires development of high-end technology in collaboration with IITs in the areas of Space Science, Space Technology and Space Applications.
Law Ministry to setup Fastrack courts after data on POSCO from High Courts
- The data from the High Courts across the country say that more than 96% of 1,66,882 rape trials registered under POCSO (Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act) are pending.
- After receiving the data, law ministry has drawn comprehensive plans to fast track disposal of pending rape cases within a year. The plan is to set up fast track courts to hasten the process.
National Stock Exchange appoints Girish Chandra Chaturvedi its chairman
- NSE said it has appointed Public Interest Director Girish Chandra Chaturvedi as its new chairman.
- The appointment comes following the approval of the markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi). The position was vacant since Ashok Chawla resigned as the chairman of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) in January.
NTPC signs pact for Rs. 5,000 crores with SBI
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited has signed a term loan agreement for Rs. 5,000 crores with State Bank of India. The loan facility has been extended at an interest rate linked to 3 Months MCLR of the bank and has a door to door tenure of 15 years. The loan will be utilised to part finance the capital expenditure of NTPC.
Praggnanandhaa wins the London Chess Classic FIDE Open 2019
- India's young grandmaster Praggnanandhaa, who became the youngest Indian ever and the second youngest in the world to cross the Elo live rating of 2600, became London Chess Classic FIDE Champion with a score of 7.5/9.
- He was joined at the top by Anton Smirnov, who also scored 7.5/9. Indian players had a successful outing with Aravindh Chithambaram finishing at third place
RBI tightens norms for ARCs to acquire financial assets
- The Reserve Bank of India tightened norms for asset reconstruction companies (ARCs), restricting them from buying financial assets from their sponsor firms and lenders on a bilateral basis. However, the regulator has allowed the ARCs to participate in auctions of such assets.
- The RBI also stopped ARCs to buy financial assets from a bank or financial institution, which is either a lender to the ARC or a subscriber to the fund raised by the ARC for its operations and an entity in the group to which the ARC belongs.
Ripu Daman Bevli as “Plogging Ambassador of India” on 50th Fit India Plogging Run
- Ripu Daman Bevli was appointed as Plogging Ambassador of India by Kiren Rijiju, Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) on the 50th Fit India Plogging Run held in Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- The minister also launched the Plogging Ambassador Mission to nominate Indians who have been running and cleaning their cities, towns or districts as Plogging Ambassadors of their region. Plog run is a unique way of picking up garbage while jogging, it was added to the Fit India Movement