Daily Current Affairs - 10th Feb 2020
Bangladesh beat India to win maiden Under-19 World Cup
- Bangladesh beat India by three wickets to win maiden ICC U-19 World Cup cricket title by Duckworth-Lewis method last night in South Africa. In a low-scoring final, Bangladesh first restricted India to a meagre 177 in 47.2 overs and then did well enough to score a revised target of 170 in 42.1 overs.
- For India, Yashaswi Jaiswal scored 88 runs off 121 balls. Bangladeshi skipper Akbar Ali was declared the Player of the Match for his captaincy and match-winning unbeaten 43.
Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across country
- An 18 day long focused Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway from February 10 across the country. The campaign, being organised by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, will continue till 28th of this month.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had mooted the idea of a cultural connect between different regions during the Rashtriya Ekta Divas held in 2015. The broad objectives of Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat include celebrating the Unity in Diversity of our nation and promoting the spirit of national integration through engagement between all states and union territories.
- Every State and union territory in the country is paired with another state or union territory. During this period, they carry out a structured engagement with one another in the spheres of language, literature, cuisine, festivals, cultural events, and tourism. The paired states and union territories sign MoUs with each other, delineating a set of activities that they would carry out.
FIH Pro League: India lose 2-3 to Belgium in second match
- The Indian men's hockey team lost 2-3 to world champions Belgium in the second match of the two-leg FIH Pro League at Bhubaneshwar. India had earlier defeated Belgium 2-1 in the first leg at the Kalinga Stadium.
- India are now placed second in the standings of the second edition of the FIH Pro League with eight points from four games, while Belgium are at the top with 14 points from six games.
Foreign portfolio investors net buyers in February so far; invest Rs.5,177 cr
- Foreign investors remained net buyers in Indian capital markets for a sixth straight month in February, putting in a net amount of Rs.5,177 crore mainly in the debt segment in the month so far, according to depositories data. Foreign portfolio investors (FPI) put in Rs.6,350 crore in the debt segment between February 3-7. However, FPIs pulled out Rs.1,172.56 crore from equities during the period, resulting in a total net investment of Rs.5,177.44 crore.
Foreigners who visited China after Jan 15 will not be allowed to enter India, says DGCA
- Aviation regulator DGCA has said that foreigners who went to China on or after January 15 will not be allowed to enter India from any air, land or seaport, including Indo-Nepal, Indo-Bhutan, Indo-Bangladesh or Indo-Myanmar land borders. The Directorate General of Civil Aviation reiterated that all visas issued to Chinese nationals before February 5 have been suspended.
- Till date, three Indians have tested positive for novel coronavirus in Kerala.
Govt plans to sell 5 pc stake in SAIL via OFS, may rake in Rs.1,000 cr
- The Union government is planning to sell 5 per cent stake in Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) through an offer for sale, which could fetch about Rs.1,000 crore to the exchequer. The government holds 75 per cent stake in SAIL. It had last sold 5 per cent stake in the steel CPSE in December 2014.
- So far this fiscal, Rs.34,000 crore has been mopped up from CPSE stake sale and the remaining Rs.31,000 crore has to come in by March-end. For 2020-21, the government has budgeted to collect Rs.1.20 lakh crore from CPSE stake sale.
Iran launches satellite, fails to put it into orbit
- Iran launched a satellite but failed to put it into orbit in a blow to its space programme. The attempted launch of the Zafar comes days before the 41st anniversary of the Islamic Revolution and crucial parliamentary elections in Iran on February 21.
- Iran also unveiled a new a short-range ballistic missile and its new generation of engines designed to put satellites into space.
Koneru Humpy goes down to Muzychuk in Cairns Cup
- India's Koneru Humpy went down to Mariya Muzychuk in the second round of the Cairns Cup while compatriot Dronavalli Harika drew with Nana Dzagnidze at St Louis in US. The Ukrainian Grandmaster and former world champion Muzychuk was the best performer of the day who displayed scintillating chess to outplay India's top player and the reigning world rapid champion Humpy.
M&M posts 72.76% drop in consolidated net profit to Rs 380.19 cr in Q3
- Mahindra & Mahindra posted a consolidated net profit of Rs 380.19 crore in the third quarter ended December 31, 2019, down by 72.76 per cent from Rs 1395.96 crore of the corresponding quarter of last year. The total revenue from operations for the quarter under review stood at Rs 12120.28 crore, down by 5.9 per cent from the year-ago period’s Rs 12892.50 crore.
- It sold 1,23,353 vehicles in the third quarter of this financial year, down by 8 per cent from the year-ago period’s 1,33,508 units.
National Conference on e-Governance 2020 concluded
- The National Conference on e-Governance 2020 concluded in Mumbai with deliberations on transforming governance using digital technologies. The Mumbai Declaration on e-Governance was unanimously adopted on the concluding day.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said that e-Governance is the key to the future of India's developmental journey.
National Deworming Day: Children, adolescents to receive single dose of Albendazole today
- The National Deworming Day (NDD) is being observed across the country on February 10. Children and adolescents in the age group of 1-19 years will be administered single dose of a safe medicine Albendazole in all states and Union Territories on the occasion.
- Organized by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the objective of the day is to deworm children and adolescents to reduce the prevalence of parasitic worms in the intestine. It ensures that the worms are no longer a public health problem.
Prakash Javadekar Releases First Look of APJ Abdul Kalam Biopic
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar has unveiled the first look of biopic on former president A P J Abdul Kalam. Javadekar revealed that the film, titled APJ Abdul Kalam: The Missile Man, is a joint venture between Hollywood and Telugu film industry and will release by the end of 2020.
- The film, which features popular south actor Ali in the title role, is produced by Jagadeesh Daneti, Suvarna Pappu and Martini Films' Johnny Martin.
Renowned thinker, writer P Parameswaran passes away in Kerala
- Renowned thinker, writer and the founder director of Bharatiya Vichara kendram P Parameswaran passed away at Ottapalam in Kerala. He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 2018 and Padma Shri in 2004.
SBI to expand ATM network by 6,000; plans to make them future-proof
- Playing it safe after its experience during the 2016 demonetisation, and in the backdrop of the rising number of digital transactions, State Bank of India (SBI) is seeking to incorporate enhanced features in the 6,000-plus ATMs it is planning to install, so as to future-proof these machines.
WHO sends international experts team to China as death toll due to Novel Coronavirus rises to 909
- World Health Organization (WHO) has sent a team of international experts to China to help combat the Novel Coronavirus outbreak as death toll rises to 909, Director-General of WHO, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
- As many as 97 new deaths and 3073 new cases have been reported due to novel coronavirus in China. The total number of confirmed cases have reached 40235 in China and around 320 abroad. More than 3280 patients have been discharged. There are also 23589 are suspected cases.