Daily Current Affairs - 17th Feb 2020
Arvind Kejriwal sworn in as Chief Minister of Delhi for third time
- Aam Aadmi Party convenor Arvind Kejriwal has took oath as Chief Minister of Delhi for the third consecutive time. Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr. Kejriwal and six Cabinet Ministers at Ramlila Maidan in the national capital.
Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
- The coronavirus epidemic could damage global economic growth this year, the IMF head Kristalina Georgieva said, but a sharp and rapid economic rebound could follow.
- In its January update to the World Economic Outlook, the IMF lowered global economic growth forecast in 2020 by a 0.1 percentage point to 3.3 per cent, following a 2.9 per cent growth the previous year, the lowest in a decade.
Coronavirus death toll in China crosses 1,600
- The death toll from coronavirus epidemic in China crossed 1,600 after 139 more people died in hard-hit Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak. The province's health commission has reported 1,843 fresh cases. More than 68,000 people have now been infected, with most deaths occurring in Hubei.
Govt to infuse Rs.1,300 cr in Exim Bank next fiscal
- The Union government has decided to pump Rs.1,300 crore into state-owned Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) to fund its business growth. Last year, the government doubled its authorised capital from Rs 10,000 crore to Rs 20,000 crore.
- This is Rs 350 crore higher than provision made by the government for the current fiscal. The government earmarked Rs 950 crore capital infusion for the bank.
- Exim Bank is the principal export credit agency in India and the infusion will give an impetus to new initiatives such as supporting Indian textile industries, likely changes in the Concessional Finance Scheme, likelihood of new letters of credit in future in view of the country's active foreign policy and strategic intent.
India inks 14 MoUs with Russia for defence support, spares
- In a step forward towards addressing the issue of regular spares and support for Russian military equipment with the armed forces, 14 MoUs were signed between Indian and Russian companies for setting up joint ventures covering a range of equipment from modern T-90 tanks to legacy Pechora air defence systems.
India rejects Guterres mediation offer
- The Union government has rejected the latest offer by the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to mediate between India and Pakistan on the Kashmir issue, saying that it would only discuss the matter bilaterally.
- The comments come against the backdrop of some remarks made by the UN Secretary General António Guterres who is on a visit to Pakistan.
- In his remarks, Guterres had expressed concern over increasing tensions between India and Pakistan as well as over alleged human rights violations in Kashmir.
India's Bhawna Jat makes the Olympic cut in 20km race walk
- India's Bhawna Jat qualified for the 2020 Olympics after setting a new national record in the 20-kilometer race walk category at the National Championships in Ranchi . She clocked 1hour 29 minutes and 54 seconds, well inside the Olympic qualification time of 1hour 31minute 00 seconds.
India, Norway to strengthen bilateral cooperation to contain marine pollution
- Union Minister for Environment Forests and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar said that India has initiated Ocean dialogue with Norway to address the problem of Marine Plastic litter.
- Both countries decided to strengthen the bilateral cooperation in the field of environment and climate change particularly in the field of marine pollution.
- India and Norway have formed joint working groups on Blue economy with sustainable development.
Indian athletes clinch 3 medals in World SnowShoe Championship
- Indian athletes finished with three medals in different categories in the World SnowShoe Championship at Myoko, Japan . Ayan Bin Shahnaz bagged silver, while Zain Ali and Muzamil Hussain Mir, all are from Kashmir, bagged bronze medals in their respective categories.
- Athletes from 17 countries including the USA, Canada, Australia, Italy, Germany, Spain, Sweden and France participated in the championship.
Non-life insurers register 7.2% rise in January premium income at Rs 17,226 cr
- India's non-life insurance companies registered a 7.2 per cent rise in their combined new premium collection at Rs 17,225.75 crore in January this fiscal, Irdai data showed.
- The 35 insurers' gross premium collection stood at Rs 16,076.28 crore in the same month a year ago. Among these, the 25 general insurance providers had a collective premium of Rs 14,643.26 crore during the month, up 2.2 per cent from the same period of 2019.
- The seven stand-alone private sector non-life insurers registered a 28 per cent jump in their collective premium income at Rs 1,530.75 crore in January.
Rohan Bopanna, Denis Shapovalov lose men's doubles at ABN Amro World Tournament
- India's Rohan Bopanna and his Canadian partner Denis Shapovalov crashed out the men's doubles at the ABN Amro World Tournament at Rotterdam in Netherlands . They lost to the German-Finnish pair of Jan-Lennard Struff and Henri Kontinen in the semi-finals.
SAMPRITI-IX: Indo-Bangladesh joint military exercise concludes in Meghalaya
- Armies of India and Bangladesh have participated in a joint military exercise SAMPRITI-IX at Umroi, Meghalaya. As the 9th edition of the Joint Exercise SAMPRITI reached its culmination day on 16 February 2020.
- The exercise was aimed at strengthening the military relations between the two countries, which allowed the two armies to understand each other's tactical drills and operating techniques.
Simplified tax compliance regime to be rolled out by April 1: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that simplified tax compliance regime will be rolled out by April 1st, this year. The minister directed senior officials to conduct district level interactions in person to clear all GST related issues of traders and industry people. The Finance Minister also said, the state governments are also on board with the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) and the state governments also have the responsibility to create awareness about GST.
Vidit Gujrathi continues to lead standings in Masters category of Prague Chess Festival
- Indian Grandmaster Vidit Gujrathi continued to lead the standings in the Masters category of the Prague Chess Festival, after sharing a point with Swedish GM Nils Grandelius in the fourth round.
- Gujrathi, the second-ranked Indian chess player behind Viswanathan Anand, was forced to draw against Grandelius, the lowest-rated player in the field, in a 35-move game.